My Blog: Aural Ephemera #10.

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 6, 2011
      I don¡¦t have a ton of time to go into all the sparkly and/or dirty details this time ¡¥round, but there¡¦s so much to let you all know about in the music world, that I just had to post this ¡V some bad (sad) news, mostly glad news:

      1. Long-running, New Brunswick, NJ-based band Thursday have broken up near the end of November! This definitely falls into the bad/sad news category. ƒ¼ I¡¦ve been a fan of the band since I first heard ¡§Understanding In A Car Crash¡¨ on college radio ¡V and was like, ¡§Who on earth are these guys?! Intense, with lovely, earnest male vocals. And so the love affair started¡K Ahem¡KAnyway, 6 studio albums later, the last one being No Devolucion from this past April, and the band is no more, although based on the band¡¦s Thank You statement, I¡¦d say not all hope is lost. Their ¡§goodbye¡¨ definitely captures the spirit and sincerity of the band, part of what also drew me into their music. Here¡¦s the link to their Thank You. It¡¦s well worth a read, even if you haven¡¦t followed the band, just to see that it can also be about more than just the music, but about connection and change for the better: http://thursday.net/thank-you
      Official Video for ¡§Understanding In A Car Crash¡¨: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-cepZ6K7mY
      Official Video for the ultra-catchy ¡§Counting 5-4-3-2-1¡¨: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9i-ErJd_g2A

      2. Okay, yeah, I guess I can¡¦t keep any of this short¡KLOL So, again, in the bad/sad news category, Thurston Moore and Kim Gordon have split up as a long-standing couple (married over 25 years from what I¡¦ve read!), and it¡¦s most likely that Sonic Youth has broken up as well. You can read the news here: http://www.spinner.com/2011/11/29/sonic-youth-thurston-moore-divorce/
      Here¡¦s the link to my most fave ¡§popular¡¨ video of Sonic Youth¡¦s, ¡§Kool Thing¡¨: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDTSUwIZdMk&ob=av2n
      Here¡¦s the link to my most fave lesser-known song by Sonic Youth: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8MFqJ22kSs&ob=av2e

      3. Okay, if you haven¡¦t heard of Lana Del Rey or seen her ¡§Video Games¡¨ video, you must live under the sea where the internet reception is terrible, or so I¡¦ve heard¡K If you need to be filled in about her musical backstory, because there is one that her PR peeps are trying to hide, or at least not promote, then read this article: http://www.spinner.com/2011/12/06/lana-del-rey-live-bowery-ballroom/ I¡¦ve already raved about her voice and song(s) at Delusions Of Adequacy, so I won¡¦t gush in avid fan fashion here, but just point you in the direction of her 2 main videos at YouTube. Lana Del Rey¡¦s debut album, Born To Die, will hit on January 31st, 2012.

      ¡§Video Games¡¨: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HO1OV5B_JDw
      ¡§Blue Jeans¡¨: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8t-I-Lqy06g

      4. Leslie Dallion and Ryan Breegle of The Loligags (on Happy Happy Birthday To Me Records out of Athens, Georgia) have gone on to another gig, but hopefully they¡¦ll be back as The Lolligags at some point! They¡¦re now Meringue & Malice, crafting original ditties, covering rockin¡¦ riot grrrl songs in old-timey fashion, and cobbling together found sound and images for neo-vintage video fun. Check out the video delights on their official YouTube here: http://www.youtube.com/user/MeringueandMalice and downloadable audio here: http://meringueandmalice.bandcamp.com/

      5. I¡¦ve been an almost-forever fan (well, you know, since ¡§Under The Milky Way¡¨) of The Church and Steve Kilbey¡¦s projects and I wanted to mention a cool YouTube channel belonging to ¡§dadaist2011¡¨ where he¡¦s created these visually trippy, kaleidoscopic images to go with lots of songs by The Church, etc¡K. Big thanks to dadist2011 for taking my requests for a David Neil song and a The Church song. Here¡¦s the link: http://www.youtube.com/user/dadaist2011?feature=g-all

      6. Little Boots will be back in 2012 with a new album. Until then, there¡¦s a single to fall in dancefloor love with called ¡§Shake¡¨: http://soundcloud.com/littleboots/little-boots-shake-radio-edit There¡¦s also a longer version here: http://soundcloud.com/littleboots/little-boots-shake-single There¡¦s also what I consider to be the best version, which was tacked on the end of a 41-plus-minute long ¡§remix¡¨ song from Little Boots that was titled ¡§Shake Until Your Heart Breaks¡¨. It¡¦s 100% dancefloor dominant (listen at around 38 minutes): http://soundcloud.com/littleboots/little-boots-shake If you just want the ending, someone has kindly cut it out of the other nonsense and posted it at SoundCloud: http://soundcloud.com/mdrezk/little-boots-shake-till-your-2

      7. I haven¡¦t had the time to find out a whole lot of info about the band The Nocturnes, but I do know that Emma Rundle of Red Sparrowes is in it and I¡¦m digging the lovely, haunting songs on debut album Aokigahara. I will have much more to say about the band at a later date. ƒº In the meantime, check out their official video for ¡§The Road¡¨ at Vimeo: http://vimeo.com/26091956

      8. Band Of Skulls will be back in 2012 with a new album titled SweetSour, I think. The band has a single out now which you can hear at SoundCloud: http://soundcloud.com/bandofskulls/the-devil-takes-care-of-his I¡¦m not sure if I approve of the video that accompanies the song (too many negative stereotypes), but the song rocks. I see that the song ¡§Sweet Sour¡¨ is also up: http://soundcloud.com/bandofskulls/sweet-sour

      9. Florence Welch is back as Florence + The Machine. Rave up with her on ¡§What The Water Gave Me¡¨: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am6rArVPip8&ob=av2e and get down with ¡§No Light,No Light¡¨: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGH-4jQZRcc

      10. Lastly, The Twilight Sad returns in February of 2012 with the album No One Can Ever Know (I just love the band¡¦s album and song titles). Depressing? Exhilarating? I guess it depends if you¡¦re a glass-half-empty or glass-half-full person¡K Taster ¡§Kill It In The Morning¡¨ is a bit of a departure for the band, with some people saying it¡¦s a bit NIN-ish, leaning more to noise than melody: http://soundcloud.com/fatcatrecords/the-twilight-sad-kill-it-in The first single is ¡§Sick¡¨ and it¡¦s actually more toned down and ¡§light¡¨, with bright, airy synths, than previous songs: http://soundcloud.com/melomanoisemusic/the-twilight-sad-sick

      Just For A Laugh (or a groan, or a smack to the forehead, or a roll of the eyes¡K):
      Wizards Of Waverly Place:
      Zeke¡¦s Finest Moments: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD7ZCqqu2co
      To make this a little more ¡§musical¡¨, Zeke Dancing to Deadmau5: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gi1ip_oW1Q&feature=related
      Justin dances with robot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtfddM0VmxU&feature=related