Tears for Fears show at Humphreys by the Bay (San Diego, CA) 09-12-12

  • thrillracer1
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 4, 2011
      Here's the story I submitted to the San Diego Reader's concert reviews section. They seem to not want to publish it (I'm supposed to get $100 for the story and $10 for the photo), so lucky Stratosphere readers get it, so that it isn't totally wasted! (I put the photo in the photo albums section.) This past Sunday I could have won OMD tickets on the radio, but I decided not to because I don't think I want to go back to Humphreys, but I was curious to see what OMD are like live. Oh well...

      "Tears for Fears @ Humphreys"

      The Tears for Fears show at Humphreys by the Bay didn't become enjoyable until the encore with an announcement from stage that security had "given up." Only then did audience members feel comfortable enough to move closer to the stage for two classic numbers, "Woman in Chains" and "Shout." Throughout the evening personnel from Elite security oppressed concert-goers by searching purses, accusing dry ticket-holders of sneaking in by jumping off boats, and flashing lights on audience members in search of cameras. Ushers from Lexus looked on with suspicious eyes.

      The total set included 17 songs, 9 of which were hits or fan favorites such as the flower-power anthem "Sowing the Seeds of Love" (during which Roland Orzabal hugged band-mate Curt Smith) and 8 of which were deep cuts and slow tempo numbers. Smith led the vocals on "Mad World" after explaining that the song had been covered by many artists and would be played that evening in its original version. Michael Wainwright performed background vocals after having earlier been the opening act with an acoustic guitar and wearing white and red face paint.

      Orzabal told the crowd that he and Smith had a "big summer" turning the "big five-0." He said he couldn't believe they were still touring since they had taken a pledge in 1990 to retire soon after. He also talked about their forthcoming international tour.

      Seats: Section D, Row 5, Seat 7 (basically pretty far back, but not too far.)
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 4, 2011
        Heya - Thanks so much for posting your story here of the Tears For Fears gig! :D With a photo too. Cool!

        I know I emailed you earlier and was talking about favorite Tears For Fears songs, and I totally forgot about "Mad World". I guess it's because I forget if it's a Tears For Fears song, since I've mainly heard it sung by Gary Jules (?) for the Donnie Darko film...

        That's terrible about the security issue! It sounds like it put a big dent in the event. :(

        At least you got to see Roland and Curt live. Take care,

        Jen