My Blog: Aural Ephemera #7.

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 16, 2010
      Yep, it's been a while... Here is what's bending my ears at the moment:

      1. The Black Ryder - I can't say enough about the band (well, duo of Aimee and Scott), as you've read in a couple of other posts. The album Buy The Ticket, Take The Ride marries all that I love about music – looping guitar distortion, cool, but dreamy female and male vocals, and a densely-textured wall-of-sound sensibility, creating highly melodic tunes that make you zone out in a good way (Do not play this at work while working or your colleagues will wonder what rabbit hole you fell into). There are also a few vintage-sounding, noir alt-country numbers. Anyway, fans of My Bloody Valentine, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, Swervedriver, Ride, and the like will be thrilled to bits by Aimee and Scott's album. It's been out in Australia since 2009 and just made it to the U.S. shores this year. Check out "What's Forsaken", "Let It Go", and "Gone Without Feeling" for the distorted guitar side and "Sweet Come Down" for the noir alt-country sound at:
      http://www.myspace.com/theblackryder

      2. Did you know that Teenage Fanclub are still together?! I caught the band on Jimmy Fallon several weeks ago and, good gosh, everyone looked older, but it was good times with their sweet harmonies and jangly guitar-pop. The guy recently released an album, their first in 5 years!
      http://www.myspace.com/theteenagefanclub

      3. Speaking of "teens", although once again the band members are above and beyond the teenage years, check out the French band (with sometimes sarcastic to nasty to silly English lyrics delivered in a deadpan and bored or dreamy sing-talking style by Quentin Delafon) The Teenagers. I just happened upon their album Reality Check from 2008 and had a laugh and enjoyed the electro-pop tunes with some heavier guitar jags from Dorian Dumont.
      http://www.myspace.com/theteenagers

      4. Secret Shine is back with a new album to be released on December 25th. It's titled The Beginning and The End. It's set to be a dream-pop, dream-rock stunner and I can't wait to hear it!
      http://www.myspace.com/secretshine

      5. Toni Halliday, formerly of Curve, released her solo album this past June under the moniker Chatelaine. The album is titled Take A Line For A Walk and it's compelling achievement with heart-on-sleeve lyrics, gracefully resigned vocals, and airy to bittersweet piano, strings, and electronic accompaniment.
      http://www.myspace.com/chatelainemusic

      6. I saw and heard Jonsi the other night on Jimmy Fallon. Jonsi towed the line between sounding like an excitable and wonderously innocent cherub and an excitable and wonderously innocent Elmo, all while attired in a colorful feathered headress.
      At YouTube here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PX9DQbQnQNA
      or here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aDXN4tQzn8

      7. My guilty meltaway of the month is the boy band/TV show Big Time Rush. The boys (Kendall, James, Logan, and Carlos) just released their debut album titled, ummmm, Big Time Rush and on their TV show named, ummmm, Big Time Rush, the guys zip around performing silly antics in service to amiable plot conundrums and wacky shenanigans ensue. Their songs are highly energetic, poppy, harmonizing numbers to get the tween dancy party started and I just can't help but sing along (in my mind, natch) to the tunez that are ubiquitously rotated on Nickelodeon. Here's the song for the opening credits of the show:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNvld5sNtCg

      8. If you want some vocal and emotional catharsis (that's screaming and yelling to the lay folk), tune in to Julie Christmas. I just had a listen to "Bow" at her MySpace site and it's raw and electrifying:
      http://www.myspace.com/juliechristmas

      9. Bart & Friends is an indie supergroup composed of Bart Cummings (Blairmailer, Hydroplane, The Cat's Miaow), indie icon Pam Berry (co-founder of Chickfactor fanzine, The Shapiros, The Pines, glo-worm, and sooo many other bands), and Mark Monnone and Louis Richter of The Lucksmiths. They have a new EP out called Make You Blush, but unfortunately they don't have much of a presence online - not MySpace site at least to hear their tunes. :(

      10. I'm just getting into the band Violens. Don't know much (well, anything) about the band, but I dig the discordant to dreamy synth-pop tunes on the new album Amoral:
      http://www.myspace.com/violens