Re: [Stratosphere_Fanzine] My Short Takes feature on 3 album reviews is up at Delusions Of Adequacy...

    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 3, 2010
      Brevity, they still say, is the soul of wit -

      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 3, 2010
        I've been really digging this band lately.

        http://www.annepdx.com/
      • Andrew Freeman
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 3, 2010
          check out the song called "Punk Bike"  I've been working on a video for it.  That is my favorite song of theirs

        • jdloc4@aol.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 3, 2010
            - and the problem is I just can't be brief!  They should rename my article Long Short Takes.  LOL

            Jen

            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 4, 2010
              ...I guess I'm at my wit's end. ;)

              Jen

              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 4, 2010
                Great find! :D I've never heard of this band before, but now I'm a fan. Anne's song "Summer Babies" has sustained, fiery, sky-scraping to celestial guitars and a calming tempo of swaying cymbal tap. The guy's vocals are dreamy and drawn out, but slightly monotone (narrow vocal and emotional range, but it suits the song).

                I'm picking up tinges of Doves in the melancholic edge and some guitar-work, and also Band Of Horses on the song "Collection".

                Thanks for posting here about that band. Let us know once your video is online. :)

                Jen

                --- In Stratosphere_Fanzine@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Freeman <af22@...> wrote:

                > I've been really digging this band lately.
                >
                > http://www.annepdx.com/

              • Andrew Freeman
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 4, 2010
                  Jen,

                  I have the video online.  It is kind of a rough demo version.
                  Thanks for the review of this.  I'm really getting into this band.  I like their song "Punk Bike" a lot.

                  Let me grab the link real fast.

                  It is still kind of a demo video.  I am currently working on a video for this band called Capital (Exit Lights).

                  thanks,

                  Andrew

                  On Aug 4, 2010, at 9:40 AM, sidewaysgaze wrote:

                  Great find! :D I've never heard of this band before, but now I'm a fan. Anne's song "Summer Babies" has sustained, fiery, sky-scraping to celestial guitars and a calming tempo of swaying cymbal tap. The guy's vocals are dreamy and drawn out, but slightly monotone (narrow vocal and emotional range, but it suits the song).

                  I'm picking up tinges of Doves in the melancholic edge and some guitar-work, and also Band Of Horses on the song "Collection".

                  Thanks for posting here about that band. Let us know once your video is online. :)

                  Jen

                  --- In Stratosphere_Fanzine@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Freeman <af22@...> wrote:

                  > I've been really digging this band lately.
                  >
                  > http://www.annepdx.com/

                • Andrew Freeman
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 4, 2010
                    Anybody else like this band? I bought their album on Itunes. It is really a good find. A bit on the depressing side though.

                    I also bought some tracks by a band called Exit Calm. A definite Verve quality to them. I like the tracks "We're on our own" / "Atone" They are on itunes. Not sure if I am into their other tracks though.

                    Andrew
                    ------------
                    http://www.chambernineproductions.com
                    http://www.shatteredmind.com
                  • Andrew Freeman
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 5, 2010
                      Hello,

                      Anybody like this band?

                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5dHT3UmBxw

                      really getting into them.

                      http://www.chambernine.net
                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 11, 2010
                        Thanks for mentioning these bands. I always confuse Hearts of Black Science with Black Heart Procession and We Are Scientists. LOL

                        I like the tunes well enough, but somehow I feel the sound should be more bleak and the singer more despondent to match the band name. There are a ton of artists coming out of Gothenburg, Sweden!

                        I like the heightened guitars of Exit Calm, but I'm not sold on the vocalist based on a quick listen. I can see the Verve reference though.

                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 11, 2010
                          Not bad. Just listened to/saw the video. I like the instrumentation of "Bright Lights" and the male vocalist's pronounced British accent on verses; not sure about his vocal delivery on the chorus, though, when he starts pushing out his emotions. Not sure if his vocal abilities are up to the task of the melody line...IMO.