My Short Takes feature on 3 album reviews is up at Delusions Of Adequacy...

    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 30, 2010
      ...and I wrote up Smoke Fairies, Villagers, and Twilight Garden.

      http://www.adequacy.net/2010/07/short-takes-on-three-albums/

      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 3, 2010
        Brevity, they still say, is the soul of wit -

        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 3, 2010
          I've been really digging this band lately.

          http://www.annepdx.com/
        • Andrew Freeman
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 3, 2010
            check out the song called "Punk Bike"  I've been working on a video for it.  That is my favorite song of theirs

          • jdloc4@aol.com
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 3, 2010
              - and the problem is I just can't be brief!  They should rename my article Long Short Takes.  LOL

              Jen

              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 4, 2010
                ...I guess I'm at my wit's end. ;)

                Jen

                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 4, 2010
                  Great find! :D I've never heard of this band before, but now I'm a fan. Anne's song "Summer Babies" has sustained, fiery, sky-scraping to celestial guitars and a calming tempo of swaying cymbal tap. The guy's vocals are dreamy and drawn out, but slightly monotone (narrow vocal and emotional range, but it suits the song).

                  I'm picking up tinges of Doves in the melancholic edge and some guitar-work, and also Band Of Horses on the song "Collection".

                  Thanks for posting here about that band. Let us know once your video is online. :)

                  Jen

                  --- In Stratosphere_Fanzine@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Freeman <af22@...> wrote:

                  > I've been really digging this band lately.
                  >
                  > http://www.annepdx.com/

                • Andrew Freeman
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 4, 2010
                    Jen,

                    I have the video online.  It is kind of a rough demo version.
                    Thanks for the review of this.  I'm really getting into this band.  I like their song "Punk Bike" a lot.

                    Let me grab the link real fast.

                    It is still kind of a demo video.  I am currently working on a video for this band called Capital (Exit Lights).

                    thanks,

                    Andrew

                    On Aug 4, 2010, at 9:40 AM, sidewaysgaze wrote:

                    Great find! :D I've never heard of this band before, but now I'm a fan. Anne's song "Summer Babies" has sustained, fiery, sky-scraping to celestial guitars and a calming tempo of swaying cymbal tap. The guy's vocals are dreamy and drawn out, but slightly monotone (narrow vocal and emotional range, but it suits the song).

                    I'm picking up tinges of Doves in the melancholic edge and some guitar-work, and also Band Of Horses on the song "Collection".

                    Thanks for posting here about that band. Let us know once your video is online. :)

                    Jen

                    --- In Stratosphere_Fanzine@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Freeman <af22@...> wrote:

                    > I've been really digging this band lately.
                    >
                    > http://www.annepdx.com/

                  • Andrew Freeman
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 4, 2010
                      Anybody else like this band? I bought their album on Itunes. It is really a good find. A bit on the depressing side though.

                      I also bought some tracks by a band called Exit Calm. A definite Verve quality to them. I like the tracks "We're on our own" / "Atone" They are on itunes. Not sure if I am into their other tracks though.

                      Andrew
                      ------------
                      http://www.chambernineproductions.com
                      http://www.shatteredmind.com
                    • Andrew Freeman
                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 5, 2010
                        Hello,

                        Anybody like this band?

                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5dHT3UmBxw

                        really getting into them.

                        http://www.chambernine.net
                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 11, 2010
                          Thanks for mentioning these bands. I always confuse Hearts of Black Science with Black Heart Procession and We Are Scientists. LOL

                          I like the tunes well enough, but somehow I feel the sound should be more bleak and the singer more despondent to match the band name. There are a ton of artists coming out of Gothenburg, Sweden!

                          I like the heightened guitars of Exit Calm, but I'm not sold on the vocalist based on a quick listen. I can see the Verve reference though.

                          Message 12 of 12 , Aug 11, 2010
                            Not bad. Just listened to/saw the video. I like the instrumentation of "Bright Lights" and the male vocalist's pronounced British accent on verses; not sure about his vocal delivery on the chorus, though, when he starts pushing out his emotions. Not sure if his vocal abilities are up to the task of the melody line...IMO.