an article on band names

  • thrillracer1
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 5, 2010
      Fewer Good Band Names Available, Causing Trademark Rifts
      Posted Feb 17, 2010 8:55 AM CST
      By Debra Cassens Weiss

      There aren't many good band names left, according to Led Zeppelin bassist John Paul Jones.

      He told the Wall Street Journal about the difficulties he had finding a name for his new band. An online search showed at least seven other bands had the name of his first choice—Caligula. His group finally named itself Them Crooked Vultures.

      "Every other name is taken," Jones said. "Think of a great band name and Google it, and you'll find a French-Canadian jam band with a MySpace page."

      A database maintained by the Rovi Corp. has about 1.4 million artist names, and the shortage of names not taken is creating trademark disputes, the Wall Street Journal says. Trademark disputes usually hinge on which band first used a name commercially and where—and the proof can be a simple as a band's MySpace page.

      One band named Discovery has sent a cease-and-desist letter to a rival Discovery band. A country band registered the name Jane Deere with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, but backed down when John Deere protested. The band settled on the name the JaneDear girls after learning that the Janes, the Dear Janes, and the Dears were already in use. The band Captain America changed its name to Eugenius after getting a cease-and-desist letter from the comic book publisher.

      If you are forming a new band, you can forget about these names, the most popular in Rovi's files: Bliss, Mirage, One, Gemini, Legacy, Paradox and Rain.

      Related Topics
      Intellectual Property Law, Trademark Law
    • jdloc4@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 6, 2010
        It's funny that you add this article right now, because just a day or two ago I started thinking of band names in general, and I thought of 'Sliced Bread', as in "The greatest thing since..." - and of course there is at least one band with that name, plus a record company!  LOL  Thanks for that article.  :)