My Blog: Aural Ephemera #1.

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 13, 2010
      Okay, I'm starting this new-fangled thing here, at this Group, and it's called a "blog". So I'm going to, like, every week or so, write up some stuff and post it all here, as a blog, you see, instead of a message, and...oh, okay, I'll cut the, ummm, schtick -

      I basically want to jot down all the music stuff that's floating around in my mind over the course of each week, and maybe there'll be some flotsam (or is it jetsam) that will interest some of you...

      Here we go:

      1. Sad news to start this all off, but I just read that Jay Reatard died. Here's a link to the news:
      http://www.spinner.com/2010/01/13/jay-reatard-death/?icid=main|search3|dl2|link6|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spinner.com%2F2010%2F01%2F13%2Fjay-reatard-death%2F

      2. Sade will have a new album out in February called Soldier of Love. "Smooth Operator" was a fave of mine.

      3. I adore the EP Into a New Mausoleum by Veil Veil Vanish. The band is changing its guitar-based sound to a more keyboard-based texture for new album Change in the Neon Light due in February.

      4. Okay, forget the hip hype of whatever - the band Band of Skulls is awesome! I love the album baby darling doll face honey. They're touted as "rock 'n' roll, but they also have a serious edge of alt-folk beauty on songs like "Fires" and "Honest". They also have such pristine, precise production on their album. They have a song called "Friends" on the Twilight: New Moon soundtrack, and it doesn't really do anything for me...

      5. I didn't realize it, but Afghan Whigs actually play a gig (well, for a minute) in the movie Beautiful Girls!

      6. I love Queens of the Stone Age members guesting (musically and otherwise) in the 2007 Anthony Bourdain's Holiday Special. Dig those knit sweaters!

      7. Why, oh, why has Morrissey's music, and even vocal tone, become so strident over the years? It saddens me...

      8. Shirley Manson (of Garbage) was on Ferguson a few weeks ago and she could barely get a word in edgewise with Craig F. blathering and ogling away at Shirley! She talked about taking acting classes and liking them, but not a word about a solo album!...

      9. Vocally angelic and sweetly melancholic-tempered Jonsi of Sigur Ros has a solo album out soon called Go.

      10. And, lastly, on a glad note, I had a wonderful time this past December interviewing members of a band live (for the 1st time!) for the music site Delusions Of Adequacy. The interview will be posted soon at DOA and I'll go into it more at that time.

      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 14, 2010

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 14, 2010
          I've been toying w/ the idea of starting a "blawg" (an animal law blog.) Everytime I see an animal law related report in the online media I would cut and paste it & have a collection of animal law issues people could read about. I've been doing that on my Facebook page, but I've been reluctant to start an actual blog because I get so sick of doing so much work online. Oh well, we'll see.

          "Flotsam" and "jetsam" are actually found in lyrix by Garrett Sawyer. Weird words.

          As for Morrissey, he keeps on impressing me. At first I thought _Years of Refusal_ was kinda lame, then it grew on me and now I think it's great. A lot of his songs are growers. After a while you start to "feel" them, not just listen to them. But most fun of all is the psycho-analysis!

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 21, 2010
            Love the "blawg" idea! Like you said though, it takes a lot of time and commitment to do a blog, etc...

            I think Flotsam and Jetsam is also a band's name...from the 70s?? Not sure on that...

            I guess I should spin Morrissey's album a few more times. I think his voice is still there, with interesting ideas/lyrics, but most of the time I get tired out by the musical accompaniment. I'm just listening to "When I Last Spoke to Carol" and utilises different sonic pattern than usual for Morrissey - interesting.

            Oh, thanks for adding the pix of Mozza to the Morrissey 2 album in the Photos section - much appreciated. :D

            Jen