(some thoughts on Moz concert, San Diego, CA, Copley Symphony Hall (Dec. 8, 2009

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 17, 2009
      This message is a reply from thrillracer about the Morrissey concert she saw live. I X'd out a phone # from her message, which is why this is a reposted message. Please do not include your or anyone else's personal info, like phone #s, addresses, etc... in messages here. Thanks! :)

      Thanks thrillracer for posting about the show! Sorry I had to edit you here a bit. ;)
      Jen

      Message from thrillracer:

      The show was quite good (although not one of Mozzer's faves--see below), much
      more enjoyable than past ones I've seen. Moz shows are stressful because you
      can't just kick back and enjoy the show; if you do that you won't be able to see
      one thing, and what's the point? Hearing the songs? You can hear better versions
      on your CDs. I was all the way in the back, so I could stand on the chair and
      see with my glasses, but I wish I hadn't left my binoculars in the car. Oh well.
      I liked "Black Cloud" & "Ganglord"; also, he played 2 b-sides I hadn't heard
      yet, and they were okay. Moz performed the show well, but the next evening on
      the George Lopez show his voice was cracking. He didn't have that problem in San
      Diego. The venue was a lot nicer than past ones I've seen him in, too. They had
      a PeTA table; they also had lots of mini-bars. I was soooo thirsty, but I didn't
      dare waste any of the $50 I made selling my extra ticket (won a pair on 91X!) I
      held my thirst until I got home and it was soooo right on! Aside from giving
      Moz my business card I also wrote in the Christmas card that he should throw his
      arms around Paris, Texas because only vacant lots accept his love. Did he get
      it? I also exchanged business cards w/ a dude, Efrem, who was taping the show
      with a video camera in a pillow. He ended up leaving a lot of immature messages
      on my business voicemail (he wants to be my boyfriend, etc.) You can call him at
      619-501-XXXX. Funny thing, I was actually surrounded by a lot of rude Moz fanz
      from the past, but didn't even know it. I just didn't recognize these people
      (although I did a few double takes) and they didn't bother me, so everything was
      nice even though once-hostile Moz fanz were lurking.
      I can post the set-list in the picture section.
      So anyway, if Moz puts together a new legal team, shouldn't I be on it?

      from,
      thrillracer, esq.

      -----
      Statement from Morrissey to True-to-you

      Statement from Morrissey to True-to-you

      On these last days of the old year, I thank everyone who attended the 2009
      concerts.
      My personal favorites were:

      1 Dublin
      2 Dusseldorf
      3 Munich
      4 Pomona
      5 Warsaw

      The three Brixton concerts were dramatic and perfect for me, and there was a
      great air of adventure in both Estonia and Latvia. The Russian concerts were a
      big thrill, but in the absence of even a speckle of publicity .. it's difficult.
      You begin to feel as if you're playing to a private club - and, in fact, you
      are. We pondered on the massive poster-campaigns for others and we wondered how
      such things become possible. The audiences in Russia were loud and greatly
      inspiring.
      Hope denied in Liverpool, and the physical limits were tipped in Swindon – these
      were life's unfortunate lows.
      I spent the night at the Great Western Hospital in Swindon where the staff
      restored my faith in humanity. I had no idea such kindness existed.
      There were more stop-start-trap-doors and cancellations this year than ever
      before, and it's difficult to keep your mental balance and to remain unclouded
      at such times. Since every living person appeared to have some strain of flu,
      there seemed no reason why I should escape it, and I could not listen to medical
      advice that cautioned me to stand back from the audience and not to shake
      anyone's hand. Life has come to this? By tours' end I had no face worth
      rearranging.

      The landscape of familiar faces who have replaced the Irregular Regulars, and
      who attend as many of the concerts as possible, continue to astound me. I don't
      know how – or even why – they attend so many. It is remarkable, and the
      financial costs must wipe them out for good. I am repeatedly honored and
      speechless by their dedication.
      There are no 2010 plans to fire me out of a cannon. Hopes of concerts in New
      Zealand and Australia collapsed under a mound of doubts. That's life.
      Even though you see the death of culture all around you, you also want to raise
      whatever it is you do to a higher plane, yet there is no one, it seems, who can
      inch the Morrissey thing forwards. As we all now know, the world of music is
      purely market-driven – not even youth-driven anymore. Talent or merit or songs
      do not enter the equation for a split second; the campaign is the thing, the
      campaign is what is discussed amongst the public, the campaign is what impresses
      the press, and the songs are never a factor. The labels will only push the
      "artists" that they themselves have discovered, and have no interest in the
      self-made, blah, blah. But my parting with Universal is not a negative. I am
      sorry that "Swords" was such a meek disaster. It was proposed and accepted as a
      budget-priced CD, yet emerged everywhere as the most expensive CD in the racks.
      It was poorly distributed and didn't stand a chance, and ranks as the lowest
      chart position I've ever encountered. I remain steadfastly proud of "Years of
      refusal", which along with "You are the quarry" and "Ringleader of the
      tormentors" are my life's peaks. These three will allow me to die in peace. I am
      no longer in the thrall of anything that preceded them; the past is not me.
      I was delighted at the radio airplay in England for "I'm throwing my arms around
      Paris", which seemed to match both "Suedehead" and "That's how people grow up"
      singles for rotation.
      However, "I'm throwing my arms around Paris" did not chart in France! ... but
      everything has its time and place...

      What does the future hold? What does the next minute hold? It all rests as ever
      on determination – that which springs from somewhere deeper than the body.
      Record label interest is zero, but the sun will creep back into the room one way
      or another. It always does.

      Small and bowed, I offer you my eternal thanks, and my hopes for a steady 2010,
      full of good grace and no darkness.

      MORRISSEY
      London, December 2009.