2nd thoughts on Morrissey's "Mute Witness"

  • thrillracer1
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 11, 2009
      I dug out the actual lyrix of the song and realize now that the witness isn't actually testifying at court, unless it's an arraignment, but I doubt it. She is describing the "fright of last night, 4 a.m," so she's either at the police station or revisiting the scene of the crime the next day and making a report, or as Morrissey says, "She is only trying to tell you what it was that she saw." For some reason she is "standing on the table," not on the stand, but she is also "on the floor" (the latter phrase brings up images of Congress, which is not relevant to this song.) She's trying to demonstrate because she cannot speak? Therefore she really is a "mute"; it's not simply a case of cat got her tongue (although, her memory is "too fuzzy.") When Morrissey says she is "testing the strength of our patience," does that mean he's a detective or a bystander? But what kind of crime involves a frisbee? Was it like a robbery where one accomplice threw a frisbee to distract the victim?
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 12, 2009
        LOL, I don't think I ever knew that that song was about... I tend to just hear snatches of phrases in most songs and usually let the mood hit me more than the lyrical content, although I guess it depends on the song.

        Maybe the frisbee knocked the witness out? Who plays frisbee at 4am though? LOL

        Jen