My Album Review of Years Of Refusal by Morrissey up at Tasty Fanzine.

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 2, 2009
      I really felt the need to get my thoughts out on Morrissey's latest album, and the contrast of his recent work versus his time as part of The Smiths. Your commentary, pro and/or con, is welcome! I was a bit scathing in my review about the sonic aspect of Years Of Refusal...LOL

      "On his latest album, Morrissey and his "gang" of musicians push forth with mostly strident rockers filled with pressing tempos, abrasive guitar riffage, and aggressive bravado that is pretty much the antithesis of the brash to beautiful golden jangle of The Smiths songs (courtesy of Johnny Marr on guitar)."

      http://www.tastyfanzine.org.uk/albums85apr09.htm#Morrissey

      Jen
    • thrillracer1
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 4, 2009
        Good review. You notice a lot of details in the components of the music. "All You Need is Me" is funny; Moz must have written it about his rude fans on m-solo. I think it should be played on Dancing with the Stars with dancers doing the jive, jitterbug, or lindy hop. The orchestra on Dancing with the Stars often makes songs sound a lot better than the original recordings.

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 6, 2009
          Heya! :)

          I didn't *want* to be so scathing in my review of the musical (or lack thereof) qualities of Morrissey's band, but I just don't get the loud racket they make.

          Maybe I'm too stuck in the past and want to be reminded of the glory days of The Smiths, and earlier Morrissey solo work, but there is something lacking musically in his recent albums, IMO (except maybe Vauxhall and I).

          I still love his voice and most of his lyrics though. LOL

          Actually, I just read of review of Morrisey's recent live gig in Philly in one of the free Philly papers, and it was an interesting read, with the reviewer saying that the musical accompaniment was discordant or dissonant at times.

          It would be cool to hear a smoother, orchestral backing to Morrissey's songs. Maybe we have to start a letter-writing campaign to Dancing With the Stars! ;D

          Jen