Re: [Stratosphere_Fanzine] Re: CLUB NME Presents - Autodrone CD Release show - Thursday Nov 13th. at The Annex

    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 13, 2008
      Time for surprises then? I am really pleased Autodrone are getting the recognition they deserve after 6 years, I only really found 'Strike A Match' by accident and its turned into probably my album of the year -
      I just posted some reviews onto this months Tasty site http://www.tastyfanzine.org.uk - some interesting compilations and more -
      Do we get any clues as to this interview? Julian Casablancas? Katie Jane Garside? Both of MGMT?
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 13, 2008
        Heya - I just read through some of your 'Tasty' reviews and had a question for you about the 'Various: Nineteen78 (Filthy Little Angels)' album.  You mention that ..."Shock & Awe give (The Only Ones') Another Girl Another Planet an authentic late 70s crank up, away from the louche semi-prog of what was one of last years surprise advert backing tracks..." - and I was wondering what advert that song popped up in.  Was it in a UK-only commerical or international one?  Just curious, as I lurve that song!  :D  Now I'm itching to hear Shock & Awe's take on it...

        As for surprises and clues...hmmm...your interivew choices are *very* interesting, but in this instance, I will only say that the band is in my Top 10 of all time music artists (although KatieJane does fit extremely well into this category!)... ;)  Oh, and I will also say that certain folks here are going to be gobsmacked (that's a good thing, right?!  LOL) to read the interview... :D

        Jen

        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 14, 2008
          Re: the Only Ones song, the advert I've found a link to was for Vodafone but I'm certain I've heard it used again more recently than 2007, possibly in a car advert . Blogsite 84 Tigers had something to say about both the song and its contextual usage, in the Vodafone ad: http://www.84tigers.com/?m=20070403 I'm reasonably certain the advert was only shown in the UK.
          The Nneteen78 album is a compilation of new Manchester bands performing interpretations of songs from 1978, some of  them faithful interpretations of the orignals and others completely unrecognisable -
            http://filthylittleangelspromo.blogspot.com/ is a link to the full album and one or two other releases from the Filthy Little Angels label, whom I'm certain won't object greatly to my sharing these spicy pop nuggets with everyone at Stratosphere -

          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 14, 2008
            Oh, that blogspot is fun-ee about The Only Ones and the lyrics
            to "Another Girl, Another Planet" and that car TV commercial. Yep,
            it's a good thing the lyrics weren't included in the advert...LOL

            I also listened to a few songs of Autodrone on their MySpace profile
            and I'm liking the tunes. I hear a Ladytron influence, but with a
            big, distorted guitar sound instead of keyboards.

            I reviewed a band from the Filthy Little Angels label a while back -
            Black Kites, their All Wrong EP, which I liked tremendously. Seems
            like the band has a new EP out called Emergency Exit. Will have to
            look into this...

            MySpace profile for Black Kites:
            http://www.myspace.com/blackkitesmusic

            and my review of their earlier EP at DOA:
            http://www.adequacy.net/review.php?reviewID=8055

            http://www.84tigers.com/?m=20070403%c2%a0I'm reasonably certain the advert
            was only shown in the UK.
            > The Nneteen78 album is a compilation of new Manchester bands
            performing interpretations of songs from 1978, some of  them faithful
            interpretations of the orignals and others completely unrecognisable -
            >   http://filthylittleangelspromo.blogspot.com/%c2%a0is a link to the
            full album and one or two other releases from the Filthy Little
            Angels label, whom I'm certain won't object greatly to my sharing
            these spicy pop nuggets with everyone at Stratosphere -

            browse with the Games Toolbar - Download Now!

            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 15, 2008
              Autodrone seriously remind me of some 80s bands, and finding their album was a moment akin to rediscovering a dusty old cassette from over 20 years ago - that actually still plays and has all kinds of obscure tracks on it from bands like Killing Joke/Throwing Muses/Danse Society/Xymox - (the list is nearly endless)
              I had a copy of Throwing Muses first album. I'm uncertain why I bought it, I also bought Sonic Youth's 'EVOL' and one other record I don't remember on the same day (it was possibly The Membranes 'Gift Of Life' album). I am still looking for an download of 'Hate My Way' from the Muses album, it was my favourite track (getting 85/86 mixed up a bit here)
              Electronics weren't really an '80S Goth' thing though, everything was guitars -

              I reviewed Dengue Fever's album for Tasty this week, and they were on Jools Hollands BBC2 show last night. Now I don't feel so bad about missing their gig in Salisbury -