Re: Great Guitar Tracks .....and International Bands...

    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 17, 2008
      Thanks for posting about these bands - I love the guitars of Soft
      Pillow Kisses. :)

      Here are some bands that I'm into at the moment that are not on the
      U.S./U.K. axis; think of this list as My Monthly Music Discoveries -
      International Edition - June 2008:

      1. Devastations (Australia) – Their 3rd album, 'Yes, U', is out now,
      a departure from their previous work. Check out the deceptively
      funky slink of "Black Ice" and the beautiful, piano-driven "An
      Avalanche of Stars". This band is my new fave at the moment...
      http://www.myspace.com/devastations

      2. Monocular (Germany) – This is down-tempo "trip-hop" done right,
      with melancholy female vocals from Nic Koray that have a sharp,
      aching edge and memorable melodies.
      http://www.myspace.com/monocularx

      3. Envy (Japan) – Gorgeously heavy, guitar-driven soundscapes with
      hushed to screamo male vocals; check out "Further Ahead of Warp" song:
      http://www.myspace.com/officialenvy

      4. A Sea Of Leaves (Brazil) – Beautiful shoegazer melodies with male
      vocals gliding in mix; check out the song "Pale Horses":
      http://www.myspace.com/aseaofleaves

      5. Souvlaki (Chile) – Light, hesitant, hazy female vocals and
      bubbling electronics - what more could you want? Their MySpace
      profile is here:
      http://www.myspace.com/souvlakii
      and they also have a 2nd profile with a cover of Pet Shop Boys "Being
      Boring"at:
      http://www.myspace.com/souvlakimusic

      6. Hansen / Randow (Norway) – I've only heard the one song on their
      MySpace profile, but I'm lovin' it because the guy singer sounds like
      Morten Harket!!
      http://www.myspace.com/hansenrandow

      7. Great Lake Swimmers (Canada) – Folky, alt-country tunage with
      male vocals that take a bit of getting used to (well, at least for
      me), but I love the song "Your Rocky Spine".
      http://www.myspace.com/greatlakeswimmers

      8. Rumskib (Denmark) – Cocteau Twins-like musical backdrop with
      female vocal fragments:
      http://www.myspace.com/rumskib

      9. Pia Fraus (Estonia) – Amazingly I haven't heard this band until
      now (I had heard of them, but didn't dig deep into their music);
      plenty of jangly guitars and floating, hazy male and female vocal
      melodies:
      http://www.myspace.com/piafraus

      10. Sugar Plum Ferry (Taiwan) - Pleasant, relaxing guitar melodies -
      all instrumental; try not to listen to this is you're at work, or you
      might forget to do your job. LOL
      http://www.myspace.com/sugarplumferry

      Jen

      --- In Stratosphere_Fanzine@yahoogroups.com, neol qwerty
      <neolqwerty@...> wrote:

      > In that case, I will be introducing some bands from the Philippines
      where I came  from that are really worth listening to. But
      before you roll your eyes and say "what the ...", let me tell you
      that Joey Santiago of Pixies is a Filipino, as well as the Baluyut
      brothers of Versus.  And by the way, Secret Swingers by Versus
      is very good! Do yourself a favor. Listen to these.

      > 1. Ang  Bandang  Shirley -  the lyrics  though
      is  not in English (will it matter that much?)
      http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?
      fuseaction=vids.Channel&ChannelID=94037737

      > 2. Sonnet 58
      > http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?
      fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=5254050

      > 3.  Soft Pillow Kisses
      > http://www.myspace.com/softpillowkisses
      >
      > These bands has remained underground in Manila because majority of
      the population like to listen to crap music.

      especially when it