Re: [Stratosphere_Fanzine] Re: Album Releases - Out Now or Soon...or Later...

    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 1, 2008
      re: Kylie Minogue

      Kylie is cool for several reasons -

      1)  - has kept both her voice and looks intact since 1988 or so and is still recognisably the girl next door (if you live in Melbourne, Australia)

      2)  - is a petite blonde, and it's déclasse in the extreme to mess up a petite blonde.

      3)  - is a tough bit despite her size - duetted 'The Wild Rose' alongside Nick Cave, which was a minor UK chart success in 95. To my knowledge the only career survivor from the Stock Aitken & Waterman stable (Rick Astley, Mel and Kim, Bananrama). Recently weathered a cancer scare which received a shedload of publicity in the UK press.

      4)  - has some imaginitive styling at work around her eg: 'Two Hearts', this despite her unashamedly mainstream image.

      5)  - can really act. Died memorably onscreen this xmas after kissing Dr Who actor David Tennant.

      6) actually about her music, many of her hits are in fact quality pop tunes which appear to have lasted the course. Possibly not in the same league as New Order or Ladytron but at least listenable.

      7) I'd let her make me a cup of tea.

      8) when you're as established a performer as Kylie is, you can afford to take chances. 'Two Hearts' strongly hints that everyone's favourite pop pixie is in fact a frustrated rock chick, more than prepared to release an album of Deep Purple covers should the opportunity present itself. So will we ever see Kylie Minogue properly listed amongst the classic rock fraternity? She should be so lucky, lucky lucky lucky ..........

      9) A few years ago (2001-3) I worked on a music magazine which was sent out to subscribers as a tape. In their archives was a copy of an interview (more of a soundbite, really) which Kylie recorded while visiting Glasgow in 1990 - it went 'Hi, this is Kylie Minogue, you're listening to Sound Explosion', plus one or two mumbles. I used it as an intro to a feature on The Libertines.

      I hope this goes some way toward answering your questions -

      lisa brown <coffeeinthecafe_27@...> wrote:
      Aha yes. I think since I live in America it's not that guilty to listen to her since no one here really knows her music that well. I guess maybe in Europe it would definitley have to be a guilty pleasure since she pretty much is becoming the Madonna of Europe and Austrailia. And how can you be sort of 'indie' or 'underground' while listening to Kylie Minogue? I'm sure no one in Europe with that status would ever admit to liking her music. lol.

      Jen <jdloc4@...> wrote:
      I guess I should have put a *wink* after my comment there! :0 I've
      actually rather guiltily enjoyed her hit 'dance' songs (well, except
      maybe that old Locomotion one...)...

      Jen

      --- In Stratosphere_ Fanzine@yahoogro ups.com, lisa brown
      <coffeeinthecafe_ 27@...> wrote:

      > I actually enjoy Kylie Minogue. I don't think she's after anyone's
      crown. This is her comeback after breast cancer. It's been long
      awaited.

      > Jen <jdloc4@...> wrote: Taken from InSound, other music
      sites online, and music papers.
> [...]
      > Young Modern / Silverchair (they've cut their hair and grown
      beards,
      > or at least facial scruff, and they still want to be taken as
      > young 'n' modern? Wasn't that a girls' magazine?)
      > Taking Chances / Celine Dion (she rolled the dice and and won in
      > Vegas)
      > Alone - At Home Recordings Of Rivers Cuomo (you know, the 'shy' guy
      > from Weezer who managed to get on 60 Minutes (I think), talking
      about
      > his recent vow of chastity...)
      > Burning Off Impurities / Grails
      > Good Girl Gone Bad / Rihanna (say it ain't so Rihanna! Don't go the
      > way of Britney, at least!)
      > True Stories I Made Up / Brigit
      > Hope And Glory / Anne Wilson (she of Heart)
      > Cautionary Tales / Christopher Rees
      > Copia / Eluvium
      > Brand New Towns / Robert Gomez
      > Red Carpet Massacre / Duran Duran (and it's 1984 all over again,
      > except with more wrinkles and pancake powder)
      > Shelter From The Ash / Six Organs Of Admittance (I don't even want
      > think about what their name means...)
      > st/ The Valerie Project
      > Populations / The Caribbean (that's a lot of people trying to make
      > one album...)
      > Frank / Amy Winehouse (US release of her first album, before Back
      > Black, and before rehab...)
      > Light Works / Aloha
      > Marina Gasolina / Bonde Do Role
      > The Big Doe Rehab / Ghostface Killah
      > Holy Tears / Isis
      > Wider / Tender Fovever
      > Distortion / Magnetic Fields
      > Jukebox / Cat Power (2nd album of covers from Chan Marshall)
      > Sex Death Cassette / Rafter (I prefer Sex, Drugs, and Rock 'n'
      > Roll...)
      > Rip It Off / Times New Viking (are they refering to clothes, or
      their
      > music?)
      > Auditorium / Radar Bros. (are they really bros? Why would you want
      > to say that, if you're not brothers? Like Chemical Brothers, Dust
      > Brothers, Blood Brothers, Wayans Bros...oh, wait, they are
      brothers,
      > and that's a TV show...sorry)
      > In Between / Paul Van Dyk
      > Keep Your Eyes Ahead / The Helio Sequence (because you all know
      what
      > happens when you put your eyes on backwards... )
      > Music From Regions Beyond / Tiger Army (one more for the animal
      > cavalcade)
      > Obligatory Villagers / Nellie McKay
      > The Bedlam in Goliath / The Mars Volta (maybe they'd get more album
      > sales if they named it Back To Bedlam in Goliath)
      > Women As Lovers / Xiu Xiu (you know, as opposed to fighters)
      > Made In The Dark / Hot Chip (ummm, I hope not; it's hard to twiddle
      > those knobs on the mix desk in the dark...)
      > System / Seal
      > Do You Like Rock Music? / British Sea Power (and the band lose much
      > of their clientele, who actually don't like rock music)
      > Seventh Tree / Goldfrapp (not quite as sexy-sounding as Felt
      Mountain
      > or Black Cherry...)
      > Cigarettes & Gasoline / Emerson Hart (must be an explosive album...)
      > Polysics Or Die!!! / Polysics (wow, what a choice...I'll have to
      > think deeply about that one...)
      > Moonbeams / Throw Me The Statue (on second thought, that statue is
      > mighty heavy. Keep it to yourself)
      > Circular Sounds / Kelley Stolz
      >

      > ------------ --------- --------- ---

    • Dan
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 2, 2008
        Just to complete your "Top-ten reasons Kylie Monogue is cool" list
        Jon, I'll add that she covers "Santa Baby" better than anyone since
        Eartha Kitt.

        Dan
        (I wouldn't mind her serving this Santa a cup of tea either, and I'm
        in the US) :)

        --- In Stratosphere_Fanzine@yahoogroups.com, Jon Gordon
        <chateau_distorted@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > > Obligatory Villagers / Nellie McKay
        > > The Bedlam in Goliath / The Mars Volta (maybe they'd get more album
        > > sales if they named it Back To Bedlam in Goliath)
        > > Women As Lovers / Xiu Xiu (you know, as opposed to fighters)
        > > Made In The Dark / Hot Chip (ummm, I hope not; it's hard to twiddle
        > > those knobs on the mix desk in the dark...)
        > > System / Seal
        > > Do You Like Rock Music? / British Sea Power (and the band lose much
        > > of their clientele, who actually don't like rock music)
        > > Seventh Tree / Goldfrapp (not quite as sexy-sounding as Felt
        > Mountain
        > > or Black Cherry...)
        > > Cigarettes & Gasoline / Emerson Hart (must be an explosive album...)
        > > Polysics Or Die!!! / Polysics (wow, what a choice...I'll have to
        > > think deeply about that one...)
        > > Moonbeams / Throw Me The Statue (on second thought, that statue is

        Try it now.

        > ---------------------------------
        Try it now.

        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 2, 2008
          you'd be wanting the Bailey's now, sure you would ....
           - just all you Kelly Osbourne fans behave at the back there  ....

          <chateau_distorted@ ...> wrote:

> [...]
          > > Obligatory Villagers / Nellie McKay
          > > The Bedlam in Goliath / The Mars Volta (maybe they'd get more album
          > > sales if they named it Back To Bedlam in Goliath)
          > > Women As Lovers / Xiu Xiu (you know, as opposed to fighters)
          > > Made In The Dark / Hot Chip (ummm, I hope not; it's hard to twiddle
          > > those knobs on the mix desk in the dark...)
          > > System / Seal
          > > Do You Like Rock Music? / British Sea Power (and the band lose much
          > > of their clientele, who actually don't like rock music)
          > > Seventh Tree / Goldfrapp (not quite as sexy-sounding as Felt
          > Mountain
          > > or Black Cherry...)
          > > Cigarettes & Gasoline / Emerson Hart (must be an explosive album...)
          > > Polysics Or Die!!! / Polysics (wow, what a choice...I'll have to
          > > think deeply about that one...)
          > > Moonbeams / Throw Me The Statue (on second thought, that statue is

          Try it now.

          > ------------ --------- --------- ---
          Try it now.

          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 2, 2008
            She gave a wonderful performance with Paul McCartney (and with Jools
            on the piano) on Jools Holland's show the other night.

            The Doctor Who episode was great. Lucky lady, having a kiss with
            actor David Tennant! He has to be the sexist doctor ever!!!

            Jen (PVSG)

            --- In Stratosphere_Fanzine@yahoogroups.com, "Dan" <irish728c@...>
            wrote:

> [...]
            twiddle
            > > > those knobs on the mix desk in the dark...)
            > > > System / Seal
            > > > Do You Like Rock Music? / British Sea Power (and the band lose
            much
            > > > of their clientele, who actually don't like rock music)
            > > > Seventh Tree / Goldfrapp (not quite as sexy-sounding as Felt
            > > Mountain
            > > > or Black Cherry...)
            > > > Cigarettes & Gasoline / Emerson Hart (must be an explosive
            album...)
            > > > Polysics Or Die!!! / Polysics (wow, what a choice...I'll have
            > > > think deeply about that one...)
            > > > Moonbeams / Throw Me The Statue (on second thought, that
            statue is
            > > > mighty heavy. Keep it to yourself)
            > > > Circular Sounds / Kelley Stolz
            > > >

            > > > ---------------------------------
            > > > Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your homepage.

            Mobile.
            > Try it now.
            > >

            > > ---------------------------------
            Mobile.

            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 3, 2008
               - you're probably right about David Tennant being sexist - none of his female Dr Who assistants ever seem to survive him.

              Kylie ran away with it this xmas. See her 1 hour ITV special (shown here in November) for final proof of her otherworldly genius -

              http://www.myspace.com/jon000gordon

              wrote:

> [...]
              twiddle
              > > > those knobs on the mix desk in the dark...)
              > > > System / Seal
              > > > Do You Like Rock Music? / British Sea Power (and the band lose
              much
              > > > of their clientele, who actually don't like rock music)
              > > > Seventh Tree / Goldfrapp (not quite as sexy-sounding as Felt
              > > Mountain
              > > > or Black Cherry...)
              > > > Cigarettes & Gasoline / Emerson Hart (must be an explosive
              album...)
              > > > Polysics Or Die!!! / Polysics (wow, what a choice...I'll have
              > > > think deeply about that one...)
              > > > Moonbeams / Throw Me The Statue (on second thought, that
              statue is
              > > > mighty heavy. Keep it to yourself)
              > > > Circular Sounds / Kelley Stolz
              > > >

              > > > ------------ --------- --------- ---
              > > > Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your homepage.

              Mobile.

              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 4, 2008
                Sorry, I meant sexiest NOT sexist, slight typo there! Having said
                that, some really awful things do seem to happen to his assistants.
                Shame that they killed Kylie's character off, would loved to have
                seen her as a regular.

                Jen

                wrote:
> [...]
                > Dust
                > > > brothers,
                > know
                > > > what
                > animal
                > album
                > twiddle
                > much
                Felt
                > > > Mountain
                > album...)
                > statue is

                > > > ---------------------------------
                > > > Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo!
                > Mobile.
                > > Try it now.

                > > > Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo!
                > Mobile.
                > > Try it now.

                > Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with
                Yahoo! Search.