Album Releases - Out Now or Soon...or Later...

    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 18, 2007
      Taken from InSound, other music sites online, and music papers.
      Apologies for improper spelling, odd grammar, unfunny comment, etc...
      Jen

      War Stories / UNKLE
      Bolts Of Melody / Adam Franklin (of Swervedriver)
      The Miracle Inn / Euros Childs (frontman of Gorky's Zygotic Mynci, a
      band name that confounded me, until I realized it meant 'Gorky's
      embryonic monkey' in Welsh, and then that confounded me all the more
      that someone would name their band that...)
      Reproductions / Charlotte Martin
      X / Kylie Minogue (ah, that hussy - always after Madonna's crown...)
      Intoxication / Shaggy (he'll have a lot to live down if he's ever
      caught drunk driving)
      Rose / Bran Van 3000 (why is their name such a turn off? Could it be
      the bran?)
      Untrue / Burial
      The 8 Diagrams / Wu-Tang Clan
      Outsides / Coyote (animal band names continue to abound)
      As I Am / Alicia Keys
      Rotten Love / Levy
      The Last Sucker / Ministry
      Cold Colors / Saturday Looks Good To Me (because it's the weekend...)
      Young Modern / Silverchair (they've cut their hair and grown beards,
      or at least facial scruff, and they still want to be taken as
      young 'n' modern? Wasn't that a girls' magazine?)
      Taking Chances / Celine Dion (she rolled the dice and and won in
      Vegas)
      Alone - At Home Recordings Of Rivers Cuomo (you know, the 'shy' guy
      from Weezer who managed to get on 60 Minutes (I think), talking about
      his recent vow of chastity...)
      Burning Off Impurities / Grails
      Good Girl Gone Bad / Rihanna (say it ain't so Rihanna! Don't go the
      way of Britney, at least!)
      True Stories I Made Up / Brigit
      Hope And Glory / Anne Wilson (she of Heart)
      Cautionary Tales / Christopher Rees
      Copia / Eluvium
      Brand New Towns / Robert Gomez
      Red Carpet Massacre / Duran Duran (and it's 1984 all over again,
      except with more wrinkles and pancake powder)
      Shelter From The Ash / Six Organs Of Admittance (I don't even want to
      think about what their name means...)
      st/ The Valerie Project
      Populations / The Caribbean (that's a lot of people trying to make
      one album...)
      Frank / Amy Winehouse (US release of her first album, before Back To
      Black, and before rehab...)
      Light Works / Aloha
      Marina Gasolina / Bonde Do Role
      The Big Doe Rehab / Ghostface Killah
      Holy Tears / Isis
      Wider / Tender Fovever
      Distortion / Magnetic Fields
      Jukebox / Cat Power (2nd album of covers from Chan Marshall)
      Sex Death Cassette / Rafter (I prefer Sex, Drugs, and Rock 'n'
      Roll...)
      Rip It Off / Times New Viking (are they refering to clothes, or their
      music?)
      Auditorium / Radar Bros. (are they really bros? Why would you want
      to say that, if you're not brothers? Like Chemical Brothers, Dust
      Brothers, Blood Brothers, Wayans Bros...oh, wait, they are brothers,
      and that's a TV show...sorry)
      In Between / Paul Van Dyk
      Keep Your Eyes Ahead / The Helio Sequence (because you all know what
      happens when you put your eyes on backwards...)
      Music From Regions Beyond / Tiger Army (one more for the animal
      cavalcade)
      Obligatory Villagers / Nellie McKay
      The Bedlam in Goliath / The Mars Volta (maybe they'd get more album
      sales if they named it Back To Bedlam in Goliath)
      Women As Lovers / Xiu Xiu (you know, as opposed to fighters)
      Made In The Dark / Hot Chip (ummm, I hope not; it's hard to twiddle
      those knobs on the mix desk in the dark...)
      System / Seal
      Do You Like Rock Music? / British Sea Power (and the band lose much
      of their clientele, who actually don't like rock music)
      Seventh Tree / Goldfrapp (not quite as sexy-sounding as Felt Mountain
      or Black Cherry...)
      Cigarettes & Gasoline / Emerson Hart (must be an explosive album...)
      Polysics Or Die!!! / Polysics (wow, what a choice...I'll have to
      think deeply about that one...)
      Moonbeams / Throw Me The Statue (on second thought, that statue is
      mighty heavy. Keep it to yourself)
      Circular Sounds / Kelley Stolz
    • lisa brown

        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 23, 2007
          I guess I should have put a *wink* after my comment there! :0 I've
          actually rather guiltily enjoyed her hit 'dance' songs (well, except
          maybe that old Locomotion one...)...

          Jen

          --- In Stratosphere_Fanzine@yahoogroups.com, lisa brown
          <coffeeinthecafe_27@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > Obligatory Villagers / Nellie McKay
          > The Bedlam in Goliath / The Mars Volta (maybe they'd get more album
          > sales if they named it Back To Bedlam in Goliath)
          > Women As Lovers / Xiu Xiu (you know, as opposed to fighters)
          > Made In The Dark / Hot Chip (ummm, I hope not; it's hard to twiddle
          > those knobs on the mix desk in the dark...)
          > System / Seal
          > Do You Like Rock Music? / British Sea Power (and the band lose much
          > of their clientele, who actually don't like rock music)
          > Seventh Tree / Goldfrapp (not quite as sexy-sounding as Felt
          Mountain
          > or Black Cherry...)
          > Cigarettes & Gasoline / Emerson Hart (must be an explosive album...)
          > Polysics Or Die!!! / Polysics (wow, what a choice...I'll have to
          > think deeply about that one...)
          > Moonbeams / Throw Me The Statue (on second thought, that statue is

        • lisa brown
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 26, 2007
            Aha yes. I think since I live in America it's not that guilty to listen to her since no one here really knows her music that well. I guess maybe in Europe it would definitley have to be a guilty pleasure since she pretty much is becoming the Madonna of Europe and Austrailia. And how can you be sort of 'indie' or 'underground' while listening to Kylie Minogue? I'm sure no one in Europe with that status would ever admit to liking her music. lol.

            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 1, 2008
              re: Kylie Minogue

              Kylie is cool for several reasons -

              1)  - has kept both her voice and looks intact since 1988 or so and is still recognisably the girl next door (if you live in Melbourne, Australia)

              2)  - is a petite blonde, and it's déclasse in the extreme to mess up a petite blonde.

              3)  - is a tough bit despite her size - duetted 'The Wild Rose' alongside Nick Cave, which was a minor UK chart success in 95. To my knowledge the only career survivor from the Stock Aitken & Waterman stable (Rick Astley, Mel and Kim, Bananrama). Recently weathered a cancer scare which received a shedload of publicity in the UK press.

              4)  - has some imaginitive styling at work around her eg: 'Two Hearts', this despite her unashamedly mainstream image.

              5)  - can really act. Died memorably onscreen this xmas after kissing Dr Who actor David Tennant.

              6) actually about her music, many of her hits are in fact quality pop tunes which appear to have lasted the course. Possibly not in the same league as New Order or Ladytron but at least listenable.

              7) I'd let her make me a cup of tea.

              8) when you're as established a performer as Kylie is, you can afford to take chances. 'Two Hearts' strongly hints that everyone's favourite pop pixie is in fact a frustrated rock chick, more than prepared to release an album of Deep Purple covers should the opportunity present itself. So will we ever see Kylie Minogue properly listed amongst the classic rock fraternity? She should be so lucky, lucky lucky lucky ..........

              9) A few years ago (2001-3) I worked on a music magazine which was sent out to subscribers as a tape. In their archives was a copy of an interview (more of a soundbite, really) which Kylie recorded while visiting Glasgow in 1990 - it went 'Hi, this is Kylie Minogue, you're listening to Sound Explosion', plus one or two mumbles. I used it as an intro to a feature on The Libertines.

              I hope this goes some way toward answering your questions -

              <coffeeinthecafe_ 27@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > Obligatory Villagers / Nellie McKay
              > The Bedlam in Goliath / The Mars Volta (maybe they'd get more album
              > sales if they named it Back To Bedlam in Goliath)
              > Women As Lovers / Xiu Xiu (you know, as opposed to fighters)
              > Made In The Dark / Hot Chip (ummm, I hope not; it's hard to twiddle
              > those knobs on the mix desk in the dark...)
              > System / Seal
              > Do You Like Rock Music? / British Sea Power (and the band lose much
              > of their clientele, who actually don't like rock music)
              > Seventh Tree / Goldfrapp (not quite as sexy-sounding as Felt
              Mountain
              > or Black Cherry...)
              > Cigarettes & Gasoline / Emerson Hart (must be an explosive album...)
              > Polysics Or Die!!! / Polysics (wow, what a choice...I'll have to
              > think deeply about that one...)
              > Moonbeams / Throw Me The Statue (on second thought, that statue is

            • Dan
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 2, 2008
                Just to complete your "Top-ten reasons Kylie Monogue is cool" list
                Jon, I'll add that she covers "Santa Baby" better than anyone since
                Eartha Kitt.

                Dan
                (I wouldn't mind her serving this Santa a cup of tea either, and I'm
                in the US) :)

                --- In Stratosphere_Fanzine@yahoogroups.com, Jon Gordon
                <chateau_distorted@...> wrote:

> [...]
                > > Obligatory Villagers / Nellie McKay
                > > The Bedlam in Goliath / The Mars Volta (maybe they'd get more album
                > > sales if they named it Back To Bedlam in Goliath)
                > > Women As Lovers / Xiu Xiu (you know, as opposed to fighters)
                > > Made In The Dark / Hot Chip (ummm, I hope not; it's hard to twiddle
                > > those knobs on the mix desk in the dark...)
                > > System / Seal
                > > Do You Like Rock Music? / British Sea Power (and the band lose much
                > > of their clientele, who actually don't like rock music)
                > > Seventh Tree / Goldfrapp (not quite as sexy-sounding as Felt
                > Mountain
                > > or Black Cherry...)
                > > Cigarettes & Gasoline / Emerson Hart (must be an explosive album...)
                > > Polysics Or Die!!! / Polysics (wow, what a choice...I'll have to
                > > think deeply about that one...)
                > > Moonbeams / Throw Me The Statue (on second thought, that statue is

                Try it now.

                > ---------------------------------
                Try it now.

                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 2, 2008
                  you'd be wanting the Bailey's now, sure you would ....
                   - just all you Kelly Osbourne fans behave at the back there  ....

                  <chateau_distorted@ ...> wrote:

> [...]
                  > > Obligatory Villagers / Nellie McKay
                  > > The Bedlam in Goliath / The Mars Volta (maybe they'd get more album
                  > > sales if they named it Back To Bedlam in Goliath)
                  > > Women As Lovers / Xiu Xiu (you know, as opposed to fighters)
                  > > Made In The Dark / Hot Chip (ummm, I hope not; it's hard to twiddle
                  > > those knobs on the mix desk in the dark...)
                  > > System / Seal
                  > > Do You Like Rock Music? / British Sea Power (and the band lose much
                  > > of their clientele, who actually don't like rock music)
                  > > Seventh Tree / Goldfrapp (not quite as sexy-sounding as Felt
                  > Mountain
                  > > or Black Cherry...)
                  > > Cigarettes & Gasoline / Emerson Hart (must be an explosive album...)
                  > > Polysics Or Die!!! / Polysics (wow, what a choice...I'll have to
                  > > think deeply about that one...)
                  > > Moonbeams / Throw Me The Statue (on second thought, that statue is

                  Try it now.

                  > ------------ --------- --------- ---
                  Try it now.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 2, 2008
                    She gave a wonderful performance with Paul McCartney (and with Jools
                    on the piano) on Jools Holland's show the other night.

                    The Doctor Who episode was great. Lucky lady, having a kiss with
                    actor David Tennant! He has to be the sexist doctor ever!!!

                    Jen (PVSG)

                    --- In Stratosphere_Fanzine@yahoogroups.com, "Dan" <irish728c@...>
                    wrote:

> [...]
                    twiddle
                    > > > those knobs on the mix desk in the dark...)
                    > > > System / Seal
                    > > > Do You Like Rock Music? / British Sea Power (and the band lose
                    much
                    > > > of their clientele, who actually don't like rock music)
                    > > > Seventh Tree / Goldfrapp (not quite as sexy-sounding as Felt
                    > > Mountain
                    > > > or Black Cherry...)
                    > > > Cigarettes & Gasoline / Emerson Hart (must be an explosive
                    album...)
                    > > > Polysics Or Die!!! / Polysics (wow, what a choice...I'll have
                    > > > think deeply about that one...)
                    > > > Moonbeams / Throw Me The Statue (on second thought, that
                    statue is
                    > > > mighty heavy. Keep it to yourself)
                    > > > Circular Sounds / Kelley Stolz
                    > > >

                    > > > ---------------------------------
                    > > > Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your homepage.

                    Mobile.
                    > Try it now.
                    > >

                    > > ---------------------------------
                    Mobile.

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 3, 2008
                       - you're probably right about David Tennant being sexist - none of his female Dr Who assistants ever seem to survive him.

                      Kylie ran away with it this xmas. See her 1 hour ITV special (shown here in November) for final proof of her otherworldly genius -

                      http://www.myspace.com/jon000gordon

                      wrote:

> [...]
                      twiddle
                      > > > those knobs on the mix desk in the dark...)
                      > > > System / Seal
                      > > > Do You Like Rock Music? / British Sea Power (and the band lose
                      much
                      > > > of their clientele, who actually don't like rock music)
                      > > > Seventh Tree / Goldfrapp (not quite as sexy-sounding as Felt
                      > > Mountain
                      > > > or Black Cherry...)
                      > > > Cigarettes & Gasoline / Emerson Hart (must be an explosive
                      album...)
                      > > > Polysics Or Die!!! / Polysics (wow, what a choice...I'll have
                      > > > think deeply about that one...)
                      > > > Moonbeams / Throw Me The Statue (on second thought, that
                      statue is
                      > > > mighty heavy. Keep it to yourself)
                      > > > Circular Sounds / Kelley Stolz
                      > > >

                      > > > ------------ --------- --------- ---
                      > > > Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your homepage.

                      Mobile.

                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 4, 2008
                        Sorry, I meant sexiest NOT sexist, slight typo there! Having said
                        that, some really awful things do seem to happen to his assistants.
                        Shame that they killed Kylie's character off, would loved to have
                        seen her as a regular.

                        Jen

                        <chateau_distorted@...> wrote:

> [...]

                        > Dust
                        > > > brothers,
                        > know
                        > > > what
                        > animal
                        > album
                        > twiddle
                        > much
                        Felt
                        > > > Mountain
                        > album...)
                        > statue is

                        > > > ---------------------------------
                        > > > Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo!
                        > Mobile.
                        > > Try it now.

                        > > > Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo!
                        > Mobile.
                        > > Try it now.

                        > Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with
                        Yahoo! Search.