My Top 10 Cover Songs and added 1 Audio File of Superstar by Sonic Youth.

    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 2, 2007
      I don't think I've covered this subject yet, so here are My Top 10
      Cover Songs - what are yours?

      1. Love At First Sight / Lush covering Young Marble Giants
      2. Frosty The Snowman / Cocteau Twins, ummm, covering...?
      3. Jolene / QueenAdreena covering Dolly Parton
      4. Breakin' The Law/ Therapy? covering Judas Priest
      5. 20th Century Boy / Placebo covering T Rex
      6. Trucker's Atlas / Sun Kil Moon covering Modest Mouse
      7. Superstar / Sonic Youth covering The Carpenters
      8. Bonnie And Clyde / James Iha covering Serge Gainsbourg
      9. Alligator Wine / Jeff Buckley covering Screamin' Jay Hawkins
      10. Paranoid / The Januaries covering Black Sabbath

      Honorable Mention:
      Killing Me Softly / The Fugees covering Roberta Flack
      Kinky Love / The Pale Saints covering Nancy Sinatra
      Under The Milky Way / Kill Hannah covering The Church (I've only
      heard part of it)

      I'm sure there are tons of other tunes that I'm just not thinking of
      to add to this list, so it's not set in stone for me. LOL I
      actually could add all the covers Lush has ever done, but I didn't
      want to monopolize the list with my admiration of Lush. ;)

      Also, I've added an audio file of Sonic Youth covering Superstar,
      which was originally by The Carpenters. The song is cut a little at
      the start and the file is called "SonicYouthSuperStarcover" and it's
      in the Audio Files folder in the Files section - enjoy,

      Jen
    • rswappleton@juno.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 6, 2007
        I don't know very many covers that are as good or better than the
        originals, but here's a few:

        1. Some Velvet Morning - Slowdive covering Lee Hazlewood & Nancy Sinatra
        2. You're A Mean One Mr Grinch - Sixpence None The Richer covering Thurl
        Ravenscroft
        3. Jail House Rock - The Residents covering Elvis Presley
        4. Cross Eyed Mary - Iron Maiden covering Jethro Tull
        5. Happiness Is A Warm Gun - The Breeders covering The Beatles

        --- RSW
        www.raymondscottwoolson.com
      • don lebo

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 10, 2007
            I knew I forgot at least one song on my list! LOL Definitely Some
            Velvet Morning by Slowdive - amazing treatment of song. :)

            Jen

            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 14, 2007
              I guess Twentieth Century Schizoid Man is different than 20th Century
              Boy? LOL

              There's a cover of Scott Walker's 30th Century Man by Catherine Wheel
              that's great. Catherine Wheel also covered That's When I Reach For
              My Revolver, originally by Mission Of Burma, and Husker Du's Don't
              Want To Know If You Are Lonely.

              I've also heard Carter the USM's cover of The Smiths's (?!) Panic.
              It's a bit grating, vocally, but still good, I think.

              Oh, and does anyone know that song His Latest Flame, and who
              sings/plays original song? I know that Morrissey/The Smiths played
              it, and then Suede, but I'm not sure of its origins.

              Another question I have is about the song called White Rabbit, which
              I think Jefferson Airplane played in the 1970s, maybe. I don't know
              the origins of that song either, and I have this really cool version
              of the song on tape by some unknown (to me) band that turns it into a
              slightly trippy electro-goth number (but in the late 1980s to early
              1990s, I think). I'll eventually post that track to this Group, in
              time for Halloween.

              Lastly, a pal of mine pointed out the the Lush cover of Love At First
              Sight was originally done by The Gist, not Young Marble Giants.
              There may have been a member of YMG in The Gist though, so there's
              still a connection. :)

              Jen

              --- In Stratosphere_Fanzine@yahoogroups.com, don lebo