Re: [Stratosphere_Fanzine] Re: About 'Thursday'

  • Joseph Whitcher
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 17, 2007
      I think Island dropped the ball. Who do you think gets the media outlets to pay
      attention? It's not the media outlet's job to promote anything. The label
      pushes it to them (or doesn't) and they decide what to cover.

      The previous album sold 364,000 while "City" only sold 132,000. Perhaps there
      just weren't enough people interested. Also, it sounds like they have had label
      problems all along. That could be a sign.

      Here are some recent articles from Billboard on the subject:

      http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/search/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003563924

      http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/content_display/industry/e3ib2e03aed98ee11400643a11fe3a09d04

      ----------------------------------
      http://grammarvulture.blogspot.com
      http://www.myspace.com/fac51x
      ----------------------------------

      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 18, 2007
        Thanks for the info! :) It's great to see that Victory Records will
        be putting out a CD/DVD of Thursday material.

        Here's the last blog post from Thursday's official MySpace site:

        Friday, June 29, 2007

        Big Announcement

        Friends!!!

        We have some exciting news!!! We know that everyone is wondering
        what is next for us (New Label? New Record? Touring? Breaking up?).
        We're proud to announce that we will be releasing a DVD/CD on our
        former label, Victory Records. Surprise! A lot of the footage from
        this DVD was taken during the time we spent on Victory and we thought
        it was appropriate to release it with them. On a more personal note,
        many of you know that our parting with Victory was bitter on both
        sides and we're taking this chance to put that behind us. That label
        really helped us get to where we are and we helped them to establish
        themselves as well... "coming full circle" and "making amends" are
        some of the phrases that we could throw around here but we think you
        get the picture already. Tony's passion for this project and his
        continued support of the band after all these years has helped to
        make this an easy decision.

        We're really looking forward to this release. The DVD will be a
        retrospective of our bands career so far (footage from the last nine
        years) with a ton of live stuff. Everyone always says we're much
        better live than on record-- now you can decide. The CD will have
        several new tracks (!) and some alternate versions and demos of older
        songs.

        Once the DVD and CD are complete, we will be starting work on a new
        album soon after and the home for that has yet to be determined.

        Thanks and see you soon,
        Geoff, Tim, Tucker, Steve, Andrew and Tom--(THURSDAY)

        P.S. Here is the official press release from Victory Records.

        FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

        June 29, 2007

        Victory Announces New Thursday Release

        "Words cannot describe how excited I am to have the opportunity to
        work with Thursday again. Thursday is a band that people believe in.
        They are innovators. They are the voice of a generation. Some bands
        simply make songs that people like. Other bands thrive on gimmicks.
        The true artists create something that changes people's lives.
        Thursday are true artists. They have a very special and unique
        magnetism. They are a band that you can believe in at a time when
        there is not a surplus of bands with any real substance or
        meaning. 'Full Collapse' is an album that has influenced so many
        bands as well as spearheading an entire musical movement. Working
        with the band on that pivotal and significant album was magical.
        Thursday and Victory have done great things together. I am so happy
        and honored that tradition will continue. Some people might want to
        call this a sort of homecoming. I simply see it as a reunion of
        passionate people that have done great things in the past getting the
        opportunity to do them again. This is something that people can feel
        good about. And to me, that is the best karma for any relationship,"
        said Victory Owner Tony Brummel.

        The release, as of yet untitled, will consist of a full length
        feature DVD and a full length Album. The DVD will tell Thursday's 10
        year career story from the beginning to the present. It will contain
        interviews with the band and their team, archived show and behind the
        scenes footage spanning the band's career to date and hints to the
        band's future. The DVD will feature enhanced menus, a "Making of the
        song" and "The Making of Full Collapse" featurettes, the original
        version of "How Long Is The Night" with visuals, an audio-enhanced
        photo gallery, laminate gallery and more. The CD will contain three,
        brand new and unreleased songs along with a collection of live tracks
        and b-sides.

        The band's long time manager Dave "Rev" Ciancio had the following to
        say, "February 9th, 2001 - A date that changed my life. It was the
        first time I ever saw Thursday perform live. I had never seen
        anything like it. Raw, intense, sincere, driven rock music rooted
        deep in hardcore but with progressive song structures and melodies. I
        couldn't believe what I was seeing and hearing. I grabbed the band as
        they walked off stage and begged them to let me and my company, The
        Syndicate, professionally manage their career. Thankfully, they did
        take the meeting and I learned what an intelligent, passionate and
        innovative group of guys were behind the music. It's been six some
        years since then and a lot of crazy things have happened. And now -
        three labels, two publishers, several world tours and three records
        later - the guys are going back to Victory Records. I thought it
        would never happen but to be honest, Tony and the Victory staff have
        proven time and time again that they care about music; They are more
        concerned with what the fan wants and less concerned about the bottom
        line or the constraints of the modern day music business. I speak for
        everyone at The Syndicate when I say we are honored to be working
        with the band and excited about working again with Victory on this
        DVD/CD."

        Most importantly here is the band's message:

[...]

        - THURSDAY

        The DVD/Album package will be in stores October 30, 2007.
        Thursday is: Geoff Rickly – Vocals; Tom Keeley – Guitar; Andrew
        Everding - Keys; Steve Pedulla – Guitar; Tim Payne - Bass; and Tucker
        Rule – Drums.

        http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?
        fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=2772519&blogID=282071070

        --- In Stratosphere_Fanzine@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Whitcher
        <joseph@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > > sounds than on their previous albums.
        > >
        > > I'm assuming their fanbase stuck with them though. I mean, I
        think
        > > most of A City is stunning in its intensity, both sonically and
        > > vocally...maybe it was too much or different for the average
        Thursday
        > > fan to handle??! LOL
        > >
        > > What do you think is going on? I haven't kept up recently with
        the
        > > forums, so I don't know what the latest news is...
        > >
        > > Jen
        > >
        > > --- In Stratosphere_Fanzine@yahoogroups.com, "coffeeinthecafe_27"
        > > <coffeeinthecafe_27@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > I found out quite a while ago that one of my favorite bands,
        > > Thursday,
        > > > have parted ways with the major label Island Records. This got
        me
        > > > thinking about the future of the band. Any thoughts?

      • lisa brown
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 19, 2007
          I agree.