Re: About 'Thursday'

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 17, 2007
      Well, personally, I think Island did a horrible job at promoting
      Thursday... I don't really understand what happened, and I don't think
      it's just Island that dropped the ball.

      Many of the music critic reviews were glowing and raving about
      Thursday's latest album, A City By The Light Divided - and then,
      nothing. I think sales were good the first couple weeks for the album,
      then it crashed.

      FUSE Channel did a great job at first of rotating the Counting 5-4-3-2-
      1 video, and even had a "Making Of" that video show - but I never once
      saw At This Velocity video on FUSE or Mtv, and haven't seen anything
      else of Thursday's since that time period.

      It's like Thursday was just swallowed up, never to be heard from again,
      and it wasn't the fault of the band - it's the media outlets that
      decided to ignore them. So, um, yeah, that's just my opinion... :0

      I really, really hope the guys aren't discouraged and keep plugging
      away and work on another album. I do know that A City... was a
      different kind of album for them and incorporated more styles and
      sounds than on their previous albums.

      I'm assuming their fanbase stuck with them though. I mean, I think
      most of A City is stunning in its intensity, both sonically and
      vocally...maybe it was too much or different for the average Thursday
      fan to handle??! LOL

      What do you think is going on? I haven't kept up recently with the
      forums, so I don't know what the latest news is...

      Jen

      --- In Stratosphere_Fanzine@yahoogroups.com, "coffeeinthecafe_27"
      <coffeeinthecafe_27@...> wrote:

      > I found out quite a while ago that one of my favorite bands,
      Thursday,
      > have parted ways with the major label Island Records. This got me
      > thinking about the future of the band. Any thoughts?

    • Joseph Whitcher
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 17, 2007
        I think Island dropped the ball. Who do you think gets the media outlets to pay
        attention? It's not the media outlet's job to promote anything. The label
        pushes it to them (or doesn't) and they decide what to cover.

        The previous album sold 364,000 while "City" only sold 132,000. Perhaps there
        just weren't enough people interested. Also, it sounds like they have had label
        problems all along. That could be a sign.

        Here are some recent articles from Billboard on the subject:

        http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/search/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003563924

        http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/content_display/industry/e3ib2e03aed98ee11400643a11fe3a09d04

        ----------------------------------
        http://grammarvulture.blogspot.com
        http://www.myspace.com/fac51x
        ----------------------------------

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 18, 2007
          Thanks for the info! :) It's great to see that Victory Records will
          be putting out a CD/DVD of Thursday material.

          Here's the last blog post from Thursday's official MySpace site:

          Friday, June 29, 2007

          Big Announcement

          Friends!!!

          We have some exciting news!!! We know that everyone is wondering
          what is next for us (New Label? New Record? Touring? Breaking up?).
          We're proud to announce that we will be releasing a DVD/CD on our
          former label, Victory Records. Surprise! A lot of the footage from
          this DVD was taken during the time we spent on Victory and we thought
          it was appropriate to release it with them. On a more personal note,
          many of you know that our parting with Victory was bitter on both
          sides and we're taking this chance to put that behind us. That label
          really helped us get to where we are and we helped them to establish
          themselves as well... "coming full circle" and "making amends" are
          some of the phrases that we could throw around here but we think you
          get the picture already. Tony's passion for this project and his
          continued support of the band after all these years has helped to
          make this an easy decision.

          We're really looking forward to this release. The DVD will be a
          retrospective of our bands career so far (footage from the last nine
          years) with a ton of live stuff. Everyone always says we're much
          better live than on record-- now you can decide. The CD will have
          several new tracks (!) and some alternate versions and demos of older
          songs.

          Once the DVD and CD are complete, we will be starting work on a new
          album soon after and the home for that has yet to be determined.

          Thanks and see you soon,
          Geoff, Tim, Tucker, Steve, Andrew and Tom--(THURSDAY)

          P.S. Here is the official press release from Victory Records.

          FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

          June 29, 2007

          Victory Announces New Thursday Release

          "Words cannot describe how excited I am to have the opportunity to
          work with Thursday again. Thursday is a band that people believe in.
          They are innovators. They are the voice of a generation. Some bands
          simply make songs that people like. Other bands thrive on gimmicks.
          The true artists create something that changes people's lives.
          Thursday are true artists. They have a very special and unique
          magnetism. They are a band that you can believe in at a time when
          there is not a surplus of bands with any real substance or
          meaning. 'Full Collapse' is an album that has influenced so many
          bands as well as spearheading an entire musical movement. Working
          with the band on that pivotal and significant album was magical.
          Thursday and Victory have done great things together. I am so happy
          and honored that tradition will continue. Some people might want to
          call this a sort of homecoming. I simply see it as a reunion of
          passionate people that have done great things in the past getting the
          opportunity to do them again. This is something that people can feel
          good about. And to me, that is the best karma for any relationship,"
          said Victory Owner Tony Brummel.

          The release, as of yet untitled, will consist of a full length
          feature DVD and a full length Album. The DVD will tell Thursday's 10
          year career story from the beginning to the present. It will contain
          interviews with the band and their team, archived show and behind the
          scenes footage spanning the band's career to date and hints to the
          band's future. The DVD will feature enhanced menus, a "Making of the
          song" and "The Making of Full Collapse" featurettes, the original
          version of "How Long Is The Night" with visuals, an audio-enhanced
          photo gallery, laminate gallery and more. The CD will contain three,
          brand new and unreleased songs along with a collection of live tracks
          and b-sides.

          The band's long time manager Dave "Rev" Ciancio had the following to
          say, "February 9th, 2001 - A date that changed my life. It was the
          first time I ever saw Thursday perform live. I had never seen
          anything like it. Raw, intense, sincere, driven rock music rooted
          deep in hardcore but with progressive song structures and melodies. I
          couldn't believe what I was seeing and hearing. I grabbed the band as
          they walked off stage and begged them to let me and my company, The
          Syndicate, professionally manage their career. Thankfully, they did
          take the meeting and I learned what an intelligent, passionate and
          innovative group of guys were behind the music. It's been six some
          years since then and a lot of crazy things have happened. And now -
          three labels, two publishers, several world tours and three records
          later - the guys are going back to Victory Records. I thought it
          would never happen but to be honest, Tony and the Victory staff have
          proven time and time again that they care about music; They are more
          concerned with what the fan wants and less concerned about the bottom
          line or the constraints of the modern day music business. I speak for
          everyone at The Syndicate when I say we are honored to be working
          with the band and excited about working again with Victory on this
          DVD/CD."

          Most importantly here is the band's message:

[...]

          - THURSDAY

          The DVD/Album package will be in stores October 30, 2007.
          Thursday is: Geoff Rickly – Vocals; Tom Keeley – Guitar; Andrew
          Everding - Keys; Steve Pedulla – Guitar; Tim Payne - Bass; and Tucker
          Rule – Drums.

          http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?
          fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=2772519&blogID=282071070

          --- In Stratosphere_Fanzine@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Whitcher
          <joseph@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > > sounds than on their previous albums.
          > >
          > > I'm assuming their fanbase stuck with them though. I mean, I
          think
          > > most of A City is stunning in its intensity, both sonically and
          > > vocally...maybe it was too much or different for the average
          Thursday
          > > fan to handle??! LOL
          > >
          > > What do you think is going on? I haven't kept up recently with
          the
          > > forums, so I don't know what the latest news is...
          > >
          > > Jen
          > >
          > > --- In Stratosphere_Fanzine@yahoogroups.com, "coffeeinthecafe_27"
          > > <coffeeinthecafe_27@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > I found out quite a while ago that one of my favorite bands,
          > > Thursday,
          > > > have parted ways with the major label Island Records. This got
          me
          > > > thinking about the future of the band. Any thoughts?

        • lisa brown
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 19, 2007
            I agree.