My Monthly Music Discoveries - April 2007.

    Message 1 of 2 , May 1 8:49 AM
      Not too shabby...only one day into May. ;)

      1. Okay, I'm swooning over the French band Indochine right now. I
      have always been a casual fan, but then a friend sent me a few of
      their songs, and now I'm hooked, especially on the song Pink Water.
      There are at least 2 versions of this song; one sung in French and
      one sung in English, with Brian Molko of Placebo guest-starring near
      the end of the tune to awesome effect.

      On YouTube there is a rough extract of the English version featuring
      Brian Molko, with behind scenes clips:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzHUP-1bgVo

      and also at YouTube is the video of the French-language version of
      the song (but no Brian):
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuqzWGB_XFA

      2. KatieJane Garside (of Daisy Chainsaw, QueenAdreena, and Ruby
      Throat, etc...) rocks my world. I just love her breathy, baby-doll
      vocals that are strong and delicate, depending on the tune. On
      YouTube I found a few clips of KatieJane doing some solo material:

      Lost Upon The Flame video:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImfVO90BCVE

      and 2 short clips of KatieJane singing with no music:
      Ventriloquist:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTA2-qZeMZ8
      and
      Match Stick Girl:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImfVO90BCVE

      3. Yes, I have a like-dislike thing going with Serena-Maneesh. The
      following song, Drain Cosmetics, is the reason why I like Serena-
      Maneesh, but you have to blast it at full volume to be taken over by
      the rhythm and dreamy, cosmic vocal parts:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RT_uwSI01Hc

      and here is a clip of Serena-Maneesh performing live; this is why I
      like Serena-Maneesh up to a point. At first the rhythm is
      entrancing, but then it gets kinda relentlessly repetitive
      (especially when it runs the course of a whole album) - but *what* a
      rhythm:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQEaNzu7OHY

      4. It's a match made in heaven - KaRIN of Collide and Dean Garcia of
      Curve have teamed up as The Secret Meeting. Their MySpace profile,
      with at least 2 captivating songs, is at:
      http://www.myspace.com/thesecretmeeting
      and their Official Site:
      thesecretmeeting.net

      5. I don't know that much about The Forecast, except that they're on
      FUSE's SURS a lot, and I love how a heart-felt Shannon belts out her
      plaintive vocals. And We All Return To Our Roots video:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfpZQ-v8pGo

      6. Don't Close Your Eyes / Kix - an oldie, but goodie from the hair-
      metal 1980s; metal with an anti-suicide message; I'm a sucker for
      those pants-are-too-tight vocals and searing guitar solos:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42NPBna1lwU

      7. Sad And Damned / The Nymphs video - Inger Lorre was an originator
      on the L.A. alternative rock scene in the 1980s - a precursor, if you
      will, to the look and sound of Courtney Love of Hole and many others;
      check out the video that lines up "ducks" in a row, takes aim, and
      shoots:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E65iwCv_vQM

      8. We've Got A Big Mess On Our Hands / The Academy Is... video - a
      staple on FUSE, it's basically a showcase for frontman William
      Beckett, and I'm not complaining...LOL; I guess this is my guilty
      pleasure of the month, or was that the Kix song?:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzUoGD1G6LU

      9. Think For A Minute / The Housemartins video - This is an acoustic
      version of the song, but vocally it sounds pretty close to the
      original; amazingly high-register vocals is the hook:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGgLHsRPQWA

      10. Here is a funny (well, I think) video clip on YouTube titled "Do
      you think you're special cause you're in a band?", featuring a ton of
      un(known) U.K. bands from the early to mid 1990s, talking about,
      ummm, stuff...; you can watch this as a game and see how many bands
      or band members you can recognize and possibly name; Cathy of
      Heavenly and Linda of Prolapse are in it:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVH04_38q6I

      and Just For A Laugh:

      Funny scenes from the outrageous-at-times British TV show Absolutely
      Fabulous. The clips are mostly music-related bits, at least the 1st
      few:

      1. This is a clip of Eddy and Patsy coming back from Marylin Manson
      concert:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccZPK2GPf5A

      2. The "rave" scene:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbXWXo7oQ9o

      3. Eddy driving atrociously and singing Hotel California atrociously
      as well:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXP3-r8J8ys

      4. Edina waxes philosophically to her daughter (after 3-minute mark):
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6prik4VXFpo

      5. And the future of music is...:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avLFlS6PlXE

      6. Eddy tries to sing a Christmas song; earplugs needed:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXdpEOd5pTA

      Ok, well these clips here are not music-related. Oh, well:

      1. How Edina picks her style-impaired clothes:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kl-ZrtlvYsc

      2. Pasty and Edina are technologically impaired:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEc5YFW0zXo

      3. This time, Eddy is mechanically impaired:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2jKMdqr_4c

      4. Patsy "liquid diet" Stone tries to eat solid food:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZDMexCCNk0

      5. The headbutt - wait for it...:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWylsQ1KsXQ
      Message 2 of 2 , May 1 1:44 PM
        Here's the correct link for Lost Upon The Flame video by KatieJane
        Garside:

        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4DplHkfQoU