Re: Most Memorable Music Scenes in Movies: Gary Jules/Donnie Darko

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 21, 2007
      Thanks for catching my mistake Martin! I got it backwards - I didn't
      realize that it was a Tears For Fears song and that Gary Jules was
      covering them. Here's a link to the original Tears For Fears song at
      YouTube.com:
      http://youtube.com/watch?v=urW5lfAcaM8

      It makes me realize how much music I haven't heard - even songs I
      *should* have heard, but haven't! LOL It's kinda like The
      Housemartins short album review I did recently. I've always heard
      *about* them, but never their music...

      I have heard several Tears For Fears songs and especially love Head
      Over Heels, which was used to great effect in Donnie Darko too
      (setting up the high school hierarchy). Here's a video clip of that
      part of Donnie Darko (SPOILER ALERT! Don't look if you haven't seen
      the movie):
      http://youtube.com/watch?v=VWJPa0bvWnM

      I was going to include that clip in my Most Memorable Music Scenes,
      excpet I thought the other 2 Donnie Darko clips were better...

      Jen

      --- In Stratosphere_Fanzine@yahoogroups.com, "mjflanagan@..."
      <mjflanagan@...> wrote:

      > >> Mad World lyrics by Gary Jules
      > >> Gary Jules was an unknown until he penned
      > >> and sang this haunting song, which sums up
      > >> the dark, disturbing vibe of Donnie Darko.
      >
      > 'Tis a fine song, and it put Gary Jules on the map (public
      > consciousness-wise) but he didn't write "Mad World"... It's a cover
      > of a 1983 new wave synth pop hit by Tears For Fears (who had #1
      U.S.