Music News: Avril Lavigne, Garbage, The Cranberries, Luscious Jackson,

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 24, 2006
      Rufus Wainwright, Brett Anderson, Bright Eyes, Radiohead, Mew, Trans
      Am, Guns 'n' Roses, and The Rakes.

      Avril set for return:

      Avril Lavigne has announced provisional details of her new album,
      which is called "The Best Dam Thing".

      The follow-up to 2004's "Under My Skin" is due out next spring and
      will be preceded by a single, called "Girlfriend".

      Lavigne says she wanted the LP to be all about "fun", having been
      inspired by her most recent bout of touring.

      She explained: "I promise you guys will LOVE this record - it is my
      favorite one. And I can't wait! It is really fast, fun, young,
      bratty, aggressive, confident, cocky in a playful way...all the good
      stuff."

      "The Best Dam Thing" is scheduled for release in April, 2007.

      http://www.music-news.com/ShowNews.asp?nItemID=12804

      and

      Garbage Live Return:

      Garbage will make their first live appearance for 18 months with an
      intimate acoustic gig in Calfornia next month.

      The band – who have recently been the focus of reports they are set
      to split – will play the Alex Theatre in Glendale in a benefit for
      fellow musician Wally Ingram, who is recovering from cancer.

      Musicians The Pixies' Dave Lovering, Bonnie Raitt and Joey Santiago
      are also scheduled to appear.

      Garbage are releasing a Greatest Hits collection `Absolute Garbage'
      in March, whilst singer Shirley Manson is working on her debut solo
      album.

      http://www.music-news.com/ShowNews.asp?nItemID=12787

      and

      Arcade Fire Name LP:

      The Arcade Fire have revealed their new album is called "Neon Bible".

      The Canadian rock heroes will release the follow-up to the
      universally acclaimed "Funeral" in March or April 2007.

      "Intervention", the first fruits from the LP, was played on UK radio
      earlier today by Zane Lowe and is also being trailered on a pre-
      recorded telephone line in the USA.

      http://www.music-news.com/ShowNews.asp?nItemID=12778

      and

      Cranberries star signs solo deal
      Dolores O'Riordan's readies new album for next year
      Cranberries front woman Dolores O'Riordan has signed a solo record
      deal with Sanctuary Records.

      O'Riordan took a break from The Cranberries in 2003 and has since
      been working on solo material in Dublin with local musicians
      including ex-Therapy drummer Graham Hopkins.

      O'Riordan called the album "dark and personal" and telling Hot
      Press: "It's completely different to The Cranberries. You wouldn't
      have written something as dark and personal as that with the boys."

      The album, entitled 'Are You Listening?' was originally planned for a
      summer 2006 release, but it is now set for release on May 8 through
      Sanctuary[/n]'s Sequel label.

      http://www.nme.com/news/cranberries/25491

      Luscious Jackson's Jill Cunniff announces solo debut
      Emmylou Harris is set to makes an appearance
      Jill Cunniff, former Luscious Jackson frontwoman, will release her
      solo debut, 'City Beach,' on February 20 in the US.

      A UK release will follow shortly.

      Cunniff laid low after the quartet's demise six years ago, but has
      now returned an ode to Coney Island, the famous beach city not far
      from where she grew up in New York.

      Recorded in her studio in her home city, 'City Beach' showcases
      Cunniff's punk and alternative rock roots, as well as some Brazilian
      influences.

      "I chopped-up samples, hid them slightly, turned them
      around...fiddled with and re-worked sounds and vocals," said Cunnif
      of the recording process. "I learned how to record my voice better.
      When you record yourself it's a very un-self-conscious process."

      Emmylou Harris has provided guest vocals on 'Disconnection', the
      final track on the album.

      The album will get a vinyl release in the US on film director Cameron
      Crowe's record label, Vinyl Films', as well as a wide release via The
      Militia Group.

      'City Beach's' track listing is:

      'Lazy Girls'
      'Happy Warriors'
      'NYC Boy'
      'Warm Sound'
      'Eye Candy'
      'Apartment 3'
      'Love Is A Luxury'
      'Exclusive'
      'Kaleidoscope'
      'Future Call'
      'Calling Me'
      'Disconnection'

      http://www.nme.com/news/luscious-jackson/25490

      and

      Rufus Wainwright New Album:

      Rufus Wainwright has announced details of his new album, "Release The
      Stars".

      His official website reports that the record will be released in May,
      as the follow-up to 2004's acclaimed "Want Two".

      The LP is understood to have been produced by Rufus himself, with
      Neil Tennant of the Pet Shop Boys acting as executive producer.

      In February, Wainwright will stage a recreation of Judy Garland's
      1961 show at the Carnegie Hall in New York, at the Palladium in
      London.

      The pair of concerts takes place on February 18 and 25.

      http://www.music-news.com/ShowNews.asp?nItemID=12769

      and

      Brett Anderson in Christina Aguilera shock
      He is beautiful, no matter what you say
      Footage of Brett Anderson covering Christina Aguilera has surfaced
      online.

      The former Suede singer, currently on hiatus from The Tears, can be
      seen covering her hit 'Beautiful' on a piano at YouTube.com.

      As previously reported, Anderson has completed a solo album, due to
      be released next year.

      "I've lived with the songs for so long and I still love them. I
      suppose that means something," said the singer.

      However, the 'Beautiful' cover is unlikely to appear on the
      collection.

      http://www.nme.com/news/suede/25538

      and

      Bright Eyes confirms new album details
      Plus makes new song available for download
      Bright Eyes has confirmed details of a new album for 2007.

      Conor Oberst will release 'Cassadaga' on April 9. The album was
      recorded in New York, Los Angeles, Portland and Lincoln with
      musicians Mike Mogis and Nate Walcott along with guests M Ward,
      Gillian Welch and Janet Weiss of Sleater-Kinney.

      "We're really wanting to be experimental with this one," said Oberst
      of the record. "Sort of folky and trippy and hopefully a little more
      cosmic."

      As a taster fans can download new song 'Endless Entertainment' from
      the album sessions at Thisisbrighteyes.com.

      The album will be preceded by single 'Four Winds' April 2.

      http://www.nme.com/news/bright-eyes/25534

      and

      Thom Yorke discusses new Radiohead material
      He's 'very proud' of new song
      Radiohead's Thom Yorke has discussed their eagerly awaited new
      material.

      As previously reported the frontman performed two new songs -
      'Videotape' and 'Down Is The New Up' on the internet TV show
      fromthebasement.tv, which was launched last night (December 18).

      On Radiohead's official site Yorke wrote: "'Videotape' I was very
      proud of. And it doesn't sound like the version that we are working
      on now...Which is even better...They are sketches obviously just me
      on the piano. Check it oot [sic]."

      Yorke also said that the band were having a seasonal rest. He
      posted: "We are taking a break now, starting up again in Jan.

      "Have a good Christmas everyone if you celebrate it that is, love
      peace and hope for the future."

      http://www.nme.com/news/radiohead/25526

      and

      Mew's 'Frengers' gets US release
      The Danish band making are new friends
      Mew have announced that their album 'Frengers' will finally be
      released in the United States on January 23 of next year.

      The Danish quartet originally released the predecessor to this
      year's 'And The Glass Handed Kites' in the UK and Europe in April
      2003, but the album had never officially arrived Stateside.

      Now Columbia Records will bring 'Frengers' - which the band says is a
      combination of the words "friends" and "strangers" - for US audiences.

      http://www.nme.com/news/mew/25518

      and

      Trans Am confirm sixth album details
      North American tour to follow
      Trans Am's have confirmed the detail of their sixth studio
      album, 'Sex Change', which is released in the US on February 20.

      The Washington DC band took a two-year break before reconvening to
      record.

      The trio laid down tracks at a recording school in Auckland, New
      Zealand, where a professor, and a student who received credits toward
      graduation, manned the recording console.

      Trans Am soon returned to the States for studio sessions in New York
      and San Francisco to put the finishing touches on the album. In an
      unusual move for the band, they've included vocals on several tracks.

      The track listing is:

      'First Words'
      'North East Rising Sun'
      'Obscene Strategies'
      'Conspiracy of the Gods'
      'Exit Management Solution'
      'Climbing up the Ladder' (Parts III and IV)
      '4,738 Regrets'
      'Reprieve'
      'Tesco v. Sainsbury's'
      'Shining Path'
      'Triangular Pyramid'

      http://www.nme.com/news/trans-am/25489

      and

      Guns N' Roses announce album release date
      Axl Rose posts
      Axl Rose has announced his intention to release Guns N Roses' new
      album on March 6.

      The singer confirmed that 'Chinese Democracy' will finally see the
      light of day in an online posting yesterday (December 14).

      Although it was hinted that the album might appear this year by his
      management (who declared there were "13 Tuesdays" left in the year
      back in October, referencing the fact that US albums are released on
      a Tuesday), Rose has told fans the album will now appear in 2007.

      "To say the making of this album has been an unbearably long and
      incomprehensible journey would be an understatement," he wrote of the
      record's long delay. "Overcoming the endless and seemingly insanity
      [sic] of the obstacles faced by all involved, notwithstanding the
      emotional challenges endured by everyone: the fans, the band, our
      road crew and business team has at many times seemed for all like a
      bad dream where one wakes up only to find they are still in the
      nightmare and unfortunately this time it has been played out for over
      a decade in real life."

      However Rose said he was now hoping 'Chinese Democracy' was finally
      ready to go.

      "It takes approximately eight weeks for an album to hit the shelves
      once it has been turned in to the record company," he wrote. "That
      being said this is not a promise, a lie or a guarantee, but we do
      wish to announce a tentative release date of March 6. This is the
      first time we have done this publicly for this album. Any and all
      other dates have been made up by others for their own reasons. We
      would like to assure the fans that though tentative, everything in
      our power will be done to meet this date. Once it is finalised and
      official you will be notified. If we are delayed for unseen reasons
      you will also be notified as soon as possible in regard to a new
      date, and the album will be released as shortly thereafter as is
      possible. We thank you for your patience."

      In order to be able to complete the record, Rose explained that he
      had to cancel several dates on their US tour.

      "Due to the schedule of these particular shows, valuable time needed
      by the band and record company for the proper setup and release of
      the album 'Chinese Democracy' would be lost," he said. "Rather than
      delay the album yet again, all involved have decided to remove these
      shows from GNR's schedule."

      The cancelled dates are:

      Sacramento (January 10)
      Bakersfield (11)
      Reno (13)
      San Diego (16)

      http://www.nme.com/news/guns-n-roses/25496

      and

      The Rakes name new album
      It's due out next March
      The Rakes have named the follow up to their 2005
      debut 'Capture/Release'.

      Entitled 'Ten New Messages', their new album was layed down by Arctic
      Monkeys producer Jim Abbiss and Brendan Lynch who has previously
      worked with Primal Scream, in London's Mayfair Studios.

      Singer Alan Donohoe described the album as a "combination of choral
      music, the television show '24', (James) Bond theme tunes, World War
      1 poets and the Sugababes".

      "It's a bit more focused than the last album. It has the same sort of
      lyrics but its more character driven," Donohoe told NME.COM. "We've
      got this one song called 'When Tom Cruise Cries'. Its about media
      sensationalism on one level but on another level it's about how
      actors can be so believable you get into an emotional relationship
      with them when they're only acting. I got the idea for this from the
      scene at the end of 'Magnolia' when he's crying at his sick father's
      bedside."

      http://www.nme.com/news/the-rakes/25462