You Know You're An Obsessed (um, Devoted) Music Fan When...

    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 24 2:21 PM
      ...you try to dress (or cut/dye your hair) in the style of your
      favorite singer/band-member. A few months ago (after contemplating
      this for many, many years - LOL) I tried to color my hair
      permanently with a box of "Scarlet Red" dye (a la Miki Berenyi of
      Lush) - and it had almost no effect! I just ended up with slightly
      red hightlights - so much for my foray into shocking hair colors...
      As I've mentioned previously, I've also picked out clothes that
      remind me of how Miki (black 'n' white striped top), Bjork (short, A-
      line skirts), and Alison Shaw of Cranes (empire-waist tops) dress -
      and then barely or never wear the outfits!

      ...you send ravingly rapturous letters to a singer/band (this being
      in the early 90s, when letter-writing was still considered the main
      form of communication with a music artist). At the height of my
      insane adoration of Morrissey, I sent him a letter via a radio
      station that was promoting his solo work. I got my name mentioned
      on the radio (for asking about how Morrissey got his hair to sweep
      and stay so upright), but didn't get the free T-shirt. Bummer...

      ...you drop everything and run off to see a singer/band at the last
      minute. That's what happened when I went to that Bastards of Young
      DVD signing to see Geoff and Steve of Thursday, and also got to see
      the guys in From Autumn To Ashes and Midtown.

      ...you go to a concert and buy up all the merch. Ok, so I wasn't as
      bad as that, but when I was at Morrissey's Kill Uncle show, I
      actually bought the glossy program guide and a couple of posters, I
      think. Who knows where all that is now...

      ...you call a radio station (what's that?) incessantly to request a
      song. You have to forgive me because it was 1989, but I did dial in
      for Sweet Child O' Mine by Guns 'n' Roses. LOL

      ...you collect all the memorabilia of a band/singer. I'm guilty to
      a point for Lush. I have all the official albums, many an ep, lots
      of live shows, videotapes of their videos and more, posters, a T-
      shirt, and tons of magazine/newspaper clippings.

      ...you check out a band's/singer's official website and message
      board every day to read/see the latest news. For a time I did this
      for the band Thursday. I've since kicked the habit. Now I'm on to
      Secret Shine...

      ...you know all the lyrics of a band's/singer's songs. Finally, one
      that proves that I'm not an obsessed (um, devoted) music fan!! I
      can barely remember the lyrics to my favorite songs, although maybe
      I would if I had a better memory. LOL

      ...you get a tattoo or other body modification that pertains to a
      band or singer. Ok, I haven't done this, although a Thursday 'dove'
      sounds tempting...

      ...you buy a band's/singer's imports, even though it will
      *eventually* be released domestically. I don't think I've done this
      too often, but I did purchase A New Morning by Suede as an import
      before it became available in US.

      ...you take digital camera photos of the TV screen (or, if you're
      more advanced, screencaps) of various bands and singers. At least I
      have the excuse that I post all the pix I take to this Group and the
      2nd one! LOL

      Anyone else have some 'obsessive/devoted' stories? :)

      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 25 1:02 PM
        Two stories immediately spring to mind here -

        In 1985 I applied for the post of drummer in the Jesus And Mary Chain after Bobby Gillespie left the band. They placed an ad in the NME stipulating that any applicant had to know the entire drum part of Cream's track 'Toad' from the 'Live At The Fillmore' album, which I did, although I hadn't any drums or even any access to a borrowed kit. I wrote a letter to the ad's box number and unsurprisingly recieved no reply.

        In 1980 I followed the Skids to a gig in Plymouth after having seen them in Glasgow the previous week and managed to join the band onstage for the gig's finale, a singalong known as 'TV Stars' which was the b-side of the 'Into The Valley' single, with me taking over mike duties from Richard Jobson on that occasion, apparently something similar happened on each night of the 'Days In Europa' tour.

        I wasn't ever really what you could call a major fan of any particular band to the point of styling myself on anyone or collecting complete discographys though. Boring, huh?

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 26 8:39 AM
          I've done most of those things. Guilty as charged!

          Jen (PVSG)

          --- In Stratosphere_Fanzine@yahoogroups.com, "Jen" <jdloc4@...>

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 29 10:39 AM
            Wow, replacement drummer in JAMC - can you imagine? Well, you
            probably did imagine at the time! Of course, you would've had to
            put up with the Reid brothers... ;)

            Oh, and that Morrissey concert I went to - I bought the T-shirt too -
            two sizes too big and Morrissey's mug plastered on the front... ah,
            yes, good times...

            Jen

            --- In Stratosphere_Fanzine@yahoogroups.com, Jon Gordon
            <chateau_distorted@...> wrote:

> [...]

            maybe
            > I would if I had a better memory. LOL
            >
            > ...you get a tattoo or other body modification that pertains to a
            > band or singer. Ok, I haven't done this, although a
            Thursday 'dove'
            > sounds tempting...
            >
            > ...you buy a band's/singer's imports, even though it will
            > *eventually* be released domestically. I don't think I've done
            this
            > too often, but I did purchase A New Morning by Suede as an import
            > before it became available in US.
            >
            > ...you take digital camera photos of the TV screen (or, if you're
            > more advanced, screencaps) of various bands and singers. At least
            > have the excuse that I post all the pix I take to this Group and
            the
            > 2nd one! LOL
            >
            > Anyone else have some 'obsessive/devoted' stories? :)

          • Richard Astill
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 29 11:38 AM
              When Moz played the kilburn national on the Kill Uncle tour I went and it was my 21st birthday.  It was one of the scariest and exhilerating gigs I've ever been too.  I got a bootleg top for a fiver and I still wear it to this day.  Talk about long lasting.

              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 3, 2006
                I just wanted to point out to new members, or peeps that don't know
                yet, that Jen (not me; another Jen) runs an amazing 'n' active Group
                devoted to both Lush and Sing-Sing at:

                Another link to Group is:

                The rolling message board is flying fast 'n' furiously and Jen and
                others have added so much rare Lush and Sing-Sing content - a must
                for any fan of those bands! :)

                Jen...of this Group - LOL