Echo & B's

  • rswappleton@juno.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 9, 2006
      What one Echo & The Bunnymen album would you recomend to a chap on a
      budget? I know very little about them, but every time I hear one of their
      songs, I think to myself, "By golly, I really have to explore this band
      further." (Yes, I'm afraid I do use the word "golly" in everyday
      conversation. Remember when I said I was a social outcast?)

      --- RSW
      www.raymondscottwoolson.com
    • J. Joseph Benavidez
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 9, 2006
        On Wednesday 09 August 2006 8:52 pm, rswappleton@... wrote:
        > What one Echo & The Bunnymen album would you recomend to a chap on a
        > budget? I know very little about them, but every time I hear one of their
        > songs, I think to myself, "By golly, I really have to explore this band
        > further." (Yes, I'm afraid I do use the word "golly" in everyday
        > conversation. Remember when I said I was a social outcast?)
        >
        > --- RSW
        > www.raymondscottwoolson.com

        I'd have to say the Songs To Learn & Sing compilation... every one on there's
        a classic, including The Killing Moon, Bring on the Dancing Horses, Rescue,
        etc etc.

        Have fun,
        jjmb
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 10, 2006
          I think you'd appreciate 'Ocean Rain' Raymond. How much you'd pay for a copy depends on the format but I hadn't any idea their albums were that expensive in the US. It's quite possible to find budget price copies of most of the albums on my Desert Island list for around £5/$7, at least it is here, but obviously expect to pay more for 12" singles, coloured vinyl, Japanese pressings with humorous lyric inserts etc.
          Numerous reasons I like them - more uptempo than the Cocteau Twins, less of a one man show than the Smiths, more cheerful than Joy Division and less eccentric than the Teardrop Explodes, and far less obscure than either the Woodentops or the Monochrome Set.
          If you ever find a copy, the compilation 'Pillows And Prayers' is a very good selection of early 80's stuff from the Cherry Red label - contains the Passage, Felt, Eyeless In Gaza, Marine Girls and a load of others, although it might put you back more than $7.

          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 18, 2006
            I love Ian McCulloch's voice, but I think that the arrangements and
            song-structures of several of Echo & The Bunnymen tunes just leave
            me cold - it's weird, because The Killing Moon is a top fave song of
            mine, and it's 'cold' in its own right, but somehow all the Echo &
            B's elements meld perfectly together on that one...

            Jen

            --- In Stratosphere_Fanzine@yahoogroups.com, Jon Gordon
            <chateau_distorted@...> wrote:

            > I think you'd appreciate 'Ocean Rain' Raymond. How much you'd pay
            for a copy depends on the format but I hadn't any idea their albums
            were that expensive in the US. It's quite possible to find budget
            price copies of most of the albums on my Desert Island list for
            around £5/$7, at least it is here, but obviously expect to pay more
            for 12" singles, coloured vinyl, Japanese pressings with humorous
            lyric inserts etc.
            > Numerous reasons I like them - more uptempo than the Cocteau
            Twins, less of a one man show than the Smiths, more cheerful than
            Joy Division and less eccentric than the Teardrop Explodes, and far
            less obscure than either the Woodentops or the Monochrome Set.
            > If you ever find a copy, the compilation 'Pillows And Prayers'
            is a very good selection of early 80's stuff from the Cherry Red
            label - contains the Passage, Felt, Eyeless In Gaza, Marine Girls
            and a load of others, although it might put you back more than $7.

            > rswappleton@... wrote:
            > What one Echo & The Bunnymen album would you recomend to
            a chap on a
            > budget? I know very little about them, but every time I hear one
            of their
            > songs, I think to myself, "By golly, I really have to explore this
            band
            > further." (Yes, I'm afraid I do use the word "golly" in everyday
            > conversation. Remember when I said I was a social outcast?)
            >
            > --- RSW
            > www.raymondscottwoolson.com

            30+ countries) for 2¢/min or less.

            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 19, 2006
              Ian McCulloch practically enjoys a copyright on the verb 'angular'. What might throw some listeners is that E&TB were quite hard-edged guitarists, in fact a proper rock band with ludicrous pretensions of pseudopoetic lyricism. A listen to the Psychedelic Furs first album, The Fall's 'Slates' or Siouxsie And The Banshees 'A Kiss In The Dreamhouse' might put some of the more experimental aspects of their earlier 80's albums into perspective. I am holding out on this one - the British 80's did not begin and end with 'Meat Is Murder'.
              What E&TB were to a great extent responsible for is what is now referred to as 'shoegazing'. It'd be difficult to find a late 80's band which didn't in some form regard
               them as at least a reference if not an actual influence. House Of Love, Ride, Cranes, Slowdive, Elastica - McCullochs big red 335 and Sargeants telecaster are lurking behind all of these bands somewhere.

              http://mail.yahoo.com