Re: [Stratosphere_Fanzine] Lush 500 video

  • Hewick Kevin
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 1, 2006
      I still miss Lush after nearly 10 years.
      I know we have the brilliant Sing Sing now but I miss Miki..The thought of Lush takes me back to some amazing times of my life 1990 - 96,it all happened back then lol..and Lush were often my soundtrack to those crazy days..

      Jon Gordon <chateau_distorted@...> wrote:
      Hi Jen
      I just posted a YouTube download of Lush's 5OO video - the UK version - on my MySpace blog. It has a lot of driving around in posh looking 1950's autos in it, and I thought I'd tell you about it as I know what an enormous Lush aficianado you are.

      http://mail.yahoo.com

      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 10, 2006
        Wow, 10 years on...and their music and lyrics remain as fresh,
        insightful, and brilliant as ever. While I was 1st smitten by their
        gorgeous guitar sound and vocals, what I've appreciated over time is
        Miki and Emma's song-writing skills that showcase the female
        perspective in a male-dominated field (although you have to listen
        really closely to hear the words under the layers of driving-guitar
        bliss and sky-high vocals on the Spooky album).

        Anyway to veer somewhat off-point, I was thinking about Lush videos
        and which one I would pick as my ultimate fave, and that's so
        difficult to do! I have several faves - For Love, De-luxe, Nothing
        Natural (although Miki and Emma don't particularly like how they're
        presented in that vid), Superblast!, Hypocrite...

        All things considered I'll have to go with the Superblast! video
        because it captures the live feeling (sound and attitude) of their
        gigs. It's filmed fast-paced, in slightly grainy black 'n' white,
        shot through with whirling shafts of light, with short clips of
        Miki, Emma, Chris, and Phil onstage doing their thing (Chris is
        whaling away at his drumkit, working up a sweat; Phil just always
        looks cool and unperturbed; Emma looks frowny and anxious on her
        choral bits, but still looks great; Miki's all sweet and graceful at
        the front mic - the only problem is you can't see her 'pillar box
        red' hair color because the video is in black 'n' white!).

        Here is a link to the vid at the addictive YouTube.com site:

        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19O6ZaZWTTI&search=lush%20superblast

        Okay, Lush-aholics, what're your most fave videos by Lush? Can you
        even pick one out of the multitude? :)

        Jen

        --- In Stratosphere_Fanzine@yahoogroups.com, Hewick Kevin

        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 11, 2006
          Ooh, it's really difficult to choose just one Lush video! One of my
          favourites is the "Ladykillers" video. I just love the bit where
          Miki pours that drink over that blokes head! I know quite a few
          blokes (with serious attitude problems) whom I would just love to do
          that to!

          I really love the "Desire Lines" video too. It's very arty and
          moody. Another one of my faves is "Nothing Natural." Okay, I'm sure
          I read somewhere that both Miki & Emma hate that video because they
          were made up to look all pretty pretty, but I just love all the
          bright colours in it! Does anyone know why Steve (bass player) was
          playing a six string guitar in that video, instead of a four string
          bass? Yes, I'm really sad noticing that, I really should get out
          more!

          Jen (PVSG Lush/Sing-Sing Yahoo! Group)

          --- In Stratosphere_Fanzine@yahoogroups.com, "Jen" <jdloc4@...>

        • eboe@columbus.rr.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 11, 2006
            It's actually a Fender Bass VI, a six string bass used by the cure and
            cocteau twins quite frequently. it's tuned like a bass, in the same
            octave, but with 2 extra high strings. Trust me, I'm a cure freak so I
            noticed it too at the time... I remember when I saw the video for the
            first time back in the day and said "fuck yeah Steve's got a bass VI!"

            Gary Thrasher
            eboe@...
            www.fadedsympathy.com ~ ethereal goth rock with female vocals

> [...]
            > > > I know we have the brilliant Sing Sing now but I miss
            > Miki..The
            > > thought of Lush takes me back to some amazing times of my life
            > 1990 -
            > > 96,it all happened back then lol..and Lush were often my
            > soundtrack
            > > to those crazy days..
            > > >
            > > > Jon Gordon <chateau_distorted@> wrote:
            > > > Hi Jen
            > > > I just posted a YouTube download of Lush's 5OO video - the UK
            > > version - on my MySpace blog. It has a lot of driving around in
            > posh
            > > looking 1950's autos in it, and I thought I'd tell you about it
            > as
            > > know what an enormous Lush aficianado you are.
            > > >
            > > > http://www.myspace.com/jon000gordon
            > > > http://mail.yahoo.com
            > > >

            > > > ---------------------------------
            > > > To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the

          • pateticorecordings
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 12, 2006
              Hi everybody,

              Hope all is well!
              I am emailing you all in the hopes of getting some
              help for some friends of mine that will be touring the
              US for the first time in September.
              The band is PSICONAUTAS, they are a Puertorican
              psychedelic band in the vein of Mogwai, GYBE, MBV,
              Spiritualized, etc. They will be playing Chicago for
              an entire week (Sept 2-8) and will need some help
              booking dates from Sept 8- 15…
              Check them out at http://www.myspace.com/psiconautas

              Fri Sept 8th Dayton/Columbus/Cleveland, OH
              Sat Sept 9th Pittsburgh, PA
              Sun Sept 10th Washington, DC (or surrounding areas)
              Mon Sept 11th Virginia/DC/Baltimore
              Tues Sept 12th Virginia/DC/Baltimore
              Wed Sept 13th Boston, MA/Hartford, CT/NYC/NJ
              Thurs Sept 14th NYC
              Fri Sept 15th NYC/NJ

              Any help would be greatly appreciated.
              Thanks in advance.

              Kindest regards,

              Tommy Lugo
              http://www.myspace.com/popnoisefestival
              http://www.myspace.com/stellarscope

              http://mail.yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 15, 2006
                Here is a list of links to Lush videos on YouTube.com - the cream of
                the crop for best visual quality of transmission; I can't find Desire
                Lines posted there; I know that's a rare one...and there is no really
                good quality vids for De-Luxe - US version or Ladykillers, but the
                ones on YouTube are better than nothing. It's too bad Lush never
                shot a video for Ciao! with guest singer Jarvis Cocker of Pulp - that
                c(w)ould have been a good one! :)

                Jen

                Sweetness & Light:
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RI3jmXvrBrU&search=Lush

                De-Luxe - UK version:
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHIdlKUNG98&search=lush%20video

                De-Luxe - US version:
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrL6Xx0kLlA&search=Lush

                500 - US version:
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHo68Ne7Hho&search=Lush

                500 - UK version:
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqmlEvg47LM&search=Lush

                Hypocrite:
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiEQFi1vsa0&search=Lush

                For Love:
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xseN5UmA6_U&search=Lush

                Nothing Natural:
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFVJ5kTlXRQ&search=Lush

                Single Girl:
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mKA8o2zXGE&search=Lush

                Superblast!:
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9Su7bpEZKo&search=Lush

                Ladykillers:
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVgu0otoPcU&search=Lush%20ladykillers

                --- In Stratosphere_Fanzine@yahoogroups.com, eboe@... wrote:

                > It's actually a Fender Bass VI, a six string bass used by the cure
                and
                > cocteau twins quite frequently. it's tuned like a bass, in the same
                > octave, but with 2 extra high strings. Trust me, I'm a cure freak
                so I
                > noticed it too at the time... I remember when I saw the video for
                the
                > first time back in the day and said "fuck yeah Steve's got a bass
                VI!"

                > Gary Thrasher
                > eboe@...
                > www.fadedsympathy.com ~ ethereal goth rock with female vocals

                Lush

                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 17, 2006
                  Hey Jen! :) Yes, it is difficult to choose just one Fave Lush
                  Video - and I actually forgot about the Ladykillers one - good
                  choice - the video definitely matches the song lyrics and attitude.
                  I just wish the editing wasn't so fast-paced in that one (or maybe
                  I'm just getting old and can't process all the information that
                  quickly anymore! LOL).

                  I can't remember what Desire Lines video looks like now...I'm
                  thinking it's in black 'n' white, but I'm not sure...

                  Yep, I still can't help liking Nothing Natural even though Miki and
                  Emma were against how they were portrayed in the video.

                  I kinda brings up an interesting point of how much band members or
                  singers have control over their videos - and if they have the time
                  and ability to change anything they don't like. I recently saw
                  a "Making of Video" on Mtv2 for Rise Against (their new song is
                  Ready To Fall, and I *still* can't get it out of my head!) and from
                  what it sounded like, the band just showed up (well, they had to get
                  to some place in Canada from Chicago, USA, I think) - and the
                  director was the one figuring out what to shoot, etc...; plus, when
                  you see the final product, the video, there are other scenes cut
                  into the band performance footage - and I wonder if the band members
                  had say over what was shown. A very powerful (and frightening and
                  sad and disheartening and eye-opening - or at least re-opening of
                  eyes) video, by the way, of the toll humans have taken on the
                  environment and other animals...

                  Jen

                  --- In Stratosphere_Fanzine@yahoogroups.com, "Jen" <mladka@...>
                  wrote:

> [...]
                  > Miki..The
                  > > thought of Lush takes me back to some amazing times of my life
                  > 1990 -
                  > > 96,it all happened back then lol..and Lush were often my
                  > soundtrack
                  > > to those crazy days..
                  > > >
                  > > > Jon Gordon <chateau_distorted@> wrote:
                  > > > Hi Jen
                  > > > I just posted a YouTube download of Lush's 5OO video - the
                  UK
                  > > version - on my MySpace blog. It has a lot of driving around in
                  > posh
                  > > looking 1950's autos in it, and I thought I'd tell you about it
                  as
                  > > know what an enormous Lush aficianado you are.
                  > > >
                  > > > http://www.myspace.com/jon000gordon
                  > > > http://mail.yahoo.com
                  > > >

                  > > > ---------------------------------
                  > > > To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the

                • pateticorecordings
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 25, 2006
                    Patetico Recordings presents:

                    Flow of the Underground CheeseSteak Style

                    Featuring Psychedelphia’s finest:

                    Stellarscope
                    http://www.myspace.com/stellarscope
                    The Colorfield Theory
                    http://www.myspace.com/colorfieldtheory
                    Panda Riot
                    http://www.myspace.com/pandariot
                    Music for headphones
                    http://www.myspace.com/musicforheadphones

                    WED JULY 26th
                    At
                    The Khyber (Pass)
                    56 South Second Street Philly
                    215.238.5888

                    Music mayhem starts at 9PM

                    For fans of:
                    Indie/Psychedelic/Shoegaze/Experimental/Electro-pop/Post
                    rock music.
                    Be there or be a couch potato!
                    http://mail.yahoo.com