800For Ahmad and the DC-area shoegazers...

  • Rick Taylor
    Mar 1, 2006
      Hey Ahmad---

      Just wanted you to know there *is* in fact a place where indie djs spin shoegaze in DC. It's called "We Fought the Big One" and I'm one of the djs for that event. It's a monthly night and it's free. You should check it out when you can. The members of Alcian Blue actually hang out at the Big One nearly every month as they are pretty much one of the musical staples of the evening. We also get a lot of other very cool bands in DC that stop by often.

      I should say that it's not entirely dreampop & shoegaze though---we also throw in a lot of older post-punk---stuff that's more underground and generally moodier and a bit more off-kilter than your typcial indie night. So basically it's an evening of weird and wonderful music. :)

      The next "We Fought the Big One" is this Friday, March 3rd. Here's more info below and feel free to e-mail me with any questions or if you want to be on our e-mail list (we send out setlists and liner notes for our events!)...

      Also, I've attached a flyer...

      Cheers!
      Rick

      "We Fought the Big One"
      at Marx Cafe
      3203 Mt. Pleasant St. N.W.
      Washington DC
      10pm - 3am
      NO COVER  21+

      Jen <jdloc4@...> wrote:
      Hi Ahmad - Thanks for letting me know about Violet Indiana, Alcian
      Blue, and Isobella.  I almost picked up a Violet Indiana CD for $3
      used - but I was buying so much other stuff that I put it back.  :(
      I knew that Robin Guthrie was somehow involved, but I didn't know it
      was Siobhan of Mono.  I'll definitely have to look into
      that 'band'.  :)

      Jen

      --- In Stratosphere_Fanzine@yahoogroups.com, "Ahmad Shah Etemadi"
      <madafghan@...> wrote:

      > Hey there,
      >
      > I wish there were similar events here in DC.  Anyhow, if you like
      the
      > Cocteau Twins...I'm sure you'll absolutely love Isobella and Violet
      > Indiana.  The latter is actually Robin Guthrie (from CTs) and
      Siobhan
      > (from Mono).  Great stuff!  Alcian Blue are quite good as
      well...seen
      > them many times live as they are local to DC.
      >
      > Take care,
      > Ahmad
      >
      > --- In Stratosphere_Fanzine@yahoogroups.com, "Jen" <jdloc4@> wrote:
      > >
      > > ...and wish I had been there!  LOL
      > >
      > > What are your favorite songs/bands off the playlist?
      > >
      > > Mine are the mostly obvious, like Cocteau Twins, Lush, Curve,
      > > Slowdive, My Bloody Valentine, Catherine Wheel, Monster Movie,
      > > Interpol, and Ride - as well as Mum, The Charlatans, The Stone
      Roses
      > > (I Want to be Adored is an awesome song), and Claire Voyant
      (I've
      > > only heard the beautiful, melancholy song Bittersweet by them) -
      and
      > > there are some other bands that sound familiar but I don't have
      > > their sound in my head yet, like Alcian Blue, Violet Indiana,
      Auburn
      > > Lull, Lycia, Airiel, and Isobella.  Hmmm...Nick Cave...I didn't
      > > think his sound would fit into this playlist; I don't know the
      song
      > > that was played though...
      > >
      > > Jen
      > >
      > > --- In Stratosphere_Fanzine@yahoogroups.com, Rick Taylor <rick@>
      > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > In looking over that setlist, only two words come to mind:
      fuck
> [...]
      > > dreampop,
      > > > ethereal, darker, moodier indie music.  It occurs as often as
      we
      > > can
      > > > manage!  :)
      > > >
      > > > Just about all the wonderful bands we spin at Shimmer can be
      found
      > > on
      > > > MySpace; seek them out!  You'll be glad you did.
      > > >
      > > > Here's what was played:
      > > >
      > > > Shimmer ~ 19 February 06 ~ Elbo Room, Chicago
      > > > DJ Scary Lady Sarah
      > > >
      > > > [A] denotes a request for a specific artist
      > > > [S] denotes a request for a specific song
      > > > [L] denotes a band local to Chicago
      > > >
      > > > Mùm- On the Old Mountain Radio
      > > > Kilowatthours- Welcome to Orlando
      > > > Aydin- Warm Up
      > > > Monster Movie- Colder Days
      > > > Curves- Slide
      > > > Alcian Blue- You Just Disappear
      > > > The Starseeds- There Is Enough for Everyone
      > > > Anilore- Something Always Shines
      > > > Greenspace- Marcel
      > > > Snowpony- Starfish
      > > > Violet Indiana- Busted
      > > > Cocteau Twins- Carolyn's Fingers
      > > > Spruce- Sunday Morning (remix)
      > > > January- Someone
      > > > Auburn Lull- Shallow In Youth
      > > > The Milo- Broke
      > > > The Bella Low- Cool Honey
      > > > The Vera Violets- Lighthead Crash
      > > > Soundpool- Walking on Air
      > > > Calla- Monument
      > > > [L] The Lavellas- Electric Eyes
      > > > Damon & Naomi- Beautiful Close Double
      > > > She, Sir- Prairie Burn
      > > > Day Sleeper- For All I Know
      > > > [L] Whimsical- Love Me
      > > > Ether Aura- Why
      > > > [L] Arks- Congratulations
      > > > Au4- An Ocean's Measure of Sorrow
      > > > [L] Bullets In Madison- White Sheets
      > > > My Bloody Valentine- Moon Song
      > > > [S] Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds- Do You Love Me? (pt. 2- the
      slower
      > > one!)
      > > > [S] Cocteau Twins- Amelia
      > > > [S] Ride- Sennen
      > > > [A] Curve- Frozen
      > > > Catherine Wheel- I Want to Touch You
      > > > [A] My Bloody Valentine- Soon
      > > > The Charlatans- The Only One I Know
      > > > [S] Lush- Nothing Natural
      > > > [L] Airiel- Cinnamon
      > > > [S] Interpol- Length of Love (Frog vs. Mould remix)
      > > > [L] Arch Visceral Parlor- Tear My Eys
      > > > [L] Walking Bicycles- Lost Coast
      > > > Mellonta Tauta- Over the Ocean
      > > > Chapterhouse- Love Forever
      > > > Au4- One Thousand Rivers
      > > > The Stone Roses- I Want To Be Adored
      > > > [S] Slowdive- Brighter
      > > > Curve- Horrorhead
      > > > [S] Claire Voyant- Fear
      > > > Isobella- World's Greatest Spinner
      > > > Fuel- Butterfly Knife (feat. Elizabeth Fraser)
      > > > Lycia- Pray
      > > >
      > > > Yours Truly,
      > > > ~SLS~
      > > > http://www.AmericanGothicProd.com

      > > >     Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms

    • Show all 11 messages in this topic