Re: Help Identify U.S. 1990s indie college radio Song!

(3176)
  • sidewaysgaze
    Jul 18, 2013 Expand Messages
      Whoo hoo! So someone at YouTube posted that the song is "Mars" by the Wipers (i.e., Greg Sage), a band that was admired by the likes of Kurt Cobain. Thank you so much!! Plus, like you said to me elsewhere, someone at Morrissey-solo.com also posted that reply. What a relief to know who created the song.

      But supposedly the track (and maybe the whole album it's on, Silver Sail) is not typical of the rest of Greg Sage's work. I'll have to investigate...

      Oh, and last thing - "Over The Edge" is a Wipers song. I know that one! LOL

      Jen

      --- In Stratosphere_Fanzine@yahoogroups.com, "thrillracer1" <thrillracer@...> wrote:

      > One band it is slightly reminiscent of is Moose (and one of their songs did have the island vibe), but I don't think it could be them because their songs were never that good. Yeah, it's not as slow as a slowcore song. I forgot how slow a song could get. HA!
      >
      > Well, this is starting to bug me now. There's no way a song like that can get that buried. I submitted the question to the "Other Music" forum on Morrissey-solo.com.
      >
      > Another person who might know is this guy:
      > http://www.linkedin.com/pub/adam-ostermann/67/b7a/939
      > (He used to send me mix cassettes of 90s college rock. I'll have to try to dig some up if I didn't tape over them. LOL.)
      >
      > --- In Stratosphere_Fanzine@yahoogroups.com, jdloc4@ wrote:
      > >

      > > Heya!
      > >
      > > The song actually stood way out to me when I heard on college radio in the 1990s... It has that kinda softly laid-back, curling guitar line. I keep thinking "island vibe" for some reason, even though that's not really the tone of the song. Something about the guitar brings that imagery to mind...
      > >
      > > I wouldn't classify it in the slowcore subgenre, I guess, but what do I know. When I think slowcore, I think Low, but that band had some more up, jingling songs too...
      > >
      > > Jen

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic