2286My Top 10 Entertaining Music Videos.
- Apr 1, 2008In honor of April Fool's Day, I give you some visual amuse-gueule:
1. Sabotage / Beastie Boys - The granddaddy of 'em all, set in a
1970s setting, with donut-devouring detectives sporting
righteous 'stashes, sideburns, and sunglasses, undercover bellboys
and cooks, going-nowhere foot and car chases, kung-fu moves, and
2. Buddy Holly /Weezer - Directed by Spike Jonze, the guys of Weezer
are edited into an episode of the TV show Happy Days - how can you
Well maybe with Keep Fishin' / Weezer, where they employ the help of
3. Knights of Cydonia / Muse - An extremely epic and a-muse-ing
4. Monster / The Automatic Automatic - the new kids on the block,
but they come up with a winner - wearing disguises (a nod to the
Beastie Boys?), the band members search for "monsters", including a
dancing Big Foot and a head-bopping Nessie, then proceed to parody
Queen before being vaporized by aliens...:
5. I'm Not Okay (I Promise) / My Chemical Romance - Okay, is this
song a serious socio-emo commentary on today's youth culture, and a
rallying cry for the underdog, or just a snarky blast of high school
shenanigans and come-uppances? You decide:
6. No One Knows / Queens Of The Stone Age - aka, Revenge Of The
Deer. Best - Deer Video - Ever:
7. Bat Country / Avenged Sevenfold - Taking a page of Hunter S.
Thompson's Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas, Avenged Sevenfold take a
detour into bat country, and pop-eyed wackiness ensues (along with a
killer twin guitar solo):
8. Smooth Criminal / Alien Ant Farm - a cover of Michael Jackson
song, and chock-a-block with references to the Gloved One, including
a giant silver glove chair, a chimp (named Bubbles?), raised arm 'n'
crotch-grabbing nonsense (with a defiant "Whoo!", no less),
werewolves (or is that zombies?), and much more:
9. Absolutely Fabulous / Pet Shop Boys - Filled with electro-beat
and sound bites (and video bites) from the viper-tongued Patsy and
clueless Edina of the British TV series Absolutely Fabulous, this is
one funny video, sweetie, darling...
10. November Spawned A Monster / Morrissey - The chronically
(winkingly) depressed Morrissey takes his dramatic song lyrics, sings
them in a moaning, melodramatic style, and then, in this video,
proceeds to focus the spotlight solely on himself, preening and
writhing, and sticking an apple in his mouth - because he knows he's
such a ham, and can't bear to let the camera off him!