2149Re: Album Releases - re:Kylie M

  • Dan
    Jan 2, 2008
      Just to complete your "Top-ten reasons Kylie Monogue is cool" list
      Jon, I'll add that she covers "Santa Baby" better than anyone since
      Eartha Kitt.

      Dan
      (I wouldn't mind her serving this Santa a cup of tea either, and I'm
      in the US) :)

      --- In Stratosphere_Fanzine@yahoogroups.com, Jon Gordon
      <chateau_distorted@...> wrote:

      > re: Kylie Minogue
      >
      > Kylie is cool for several reasons -
      >
      > 1) - has kept both her voice and looks intact since 1988 or so and
      is still recognisably the girl next door (if you live in Melbourne,
      Australia)

      > 2) - is a petite blonde, and it's d├ęclasse in the extreme to mess
      up a petite blonde.

      > 3) - is a tough bit despite her size - duetted 'The Wild Rose'
      alongside Nick Cave, which was a minor UK chart success in 95. To my
      knowledge the only career survivor from the Stock Aitken & Waterman
      stable (Rick Astley, Mel and Kim, Bananrama). Recently weathered a
      cancer scare which received a shedload of publicity in the UK press.

      > 4) - has some imaginitive styling at work around her eg: 'Two
      Hearts', this despite her unashamedly mainstream image.

      > 5) - can really act. Died memorably onscreen this xmas after
      kissing Dr Who actor David Tennant.

      > 6) actually about her music, many of her hits are in fact quality
      pop tunes which appear to have lasted the course. Possibly not in the
      same league as New Order or Ladytron but at least listenable.

      > 7) I'd let her make me a cup of tea.
      >
      > 8) when you're as established a performer as Kylie is, you can
      afford to take chances. 'Two Hearts' strongly hints that everyone's
      favourite pop pixie is in fact a frustrated rock chick, more than
      prepared to release an album of Deep Purple covers should the
      opportunity present itself. So will we ever see Kylie Minogue properly
      listed amongst the classic rock fraternity? She should be so lucky,
      lucky lucky lucky ..........

      > 9) A few years ago (2001-3) I worked on a music magazine which was
      sent out to subscribers as a tape. In their archives was a copy of an
      interview (more of a soundbite, really) which Kylie recorded while
      visiting Glasgow in 1990 - it went 'Hi, this is Kylie Minogue, you're
      listening to Sound Explosion', plus one or two mumbles. I used it as
      an intro to a feature on The Libertines.

      > I hope this goes some way toward answering your questions -
      >

      > lisa brown <coffeeinthecafe_27@...> wrote:
      Aha yes. I think since I live in America it's not that guilty to
      listen to her since no one here really knows her music that well. I
      guess maybe in Europe it would definitley have to be a guilty pleasure
      since she pretty much is becoming the Madonna of Europe and
      Austrailia. And how can you be sort of 'indie' or 'underground' while
      listening to Kylie Minogue? I'm sure no one in Europe with that status
      would ever admit to liking her music. lol.

> [...]
      > > Alone - At Home Recordings Of Rivers Cuomo (you know, the 'shy' guy
      > > from Weezer who managed to get on 60 Minutes (I think), talking
      > about
      > > his recent vow of chastity...)
      > > Burning Off Impurities / Grails
      > > Good Girl Gone Bad / Rihanna (say it ain't so Rihanna! Don't go the
      > > way of Britney, at least!)
      > > True Stories I Made Up / Brigit
      > > Hope And Glory / Anne Wilson (she of Heart)
      > > Cautionary Tales / Christopher Rees
      > > Copia / Eluvium
      > > Brand New Towns / Robert Gomez
      > > Red Carpet Massacre / Duran Duran (and it's 1984 all over again,
      > > except with more wrinkles and pancake powder)
      > > Shelter From The Ash / Six Organs Of Admittance (I don't even want
      > > think about what their name means...)
      > > st/ The Valerie Project
      > > Populations / The Caribbean (that's a lot of people trying to make
      > > one album...)
      > > Frank / Amy Winehouse (US release of her first album, before Back
      > > Black, and before rehab...)
      > > Light Works / Aloha
      > > Marina Gasolina / Bonde Do Role
      > > The Big Doe Rehab / Ghostface Killah
      > > Holy Tears / Isis
      > > Wider / Tender Fovever
      > > Distortion / Magnetic Fields
      > > Jukebox / Cat Power (2nd album of covers from Chan Marshall)
      > > Sex Death Cassette / Rafter (I prefer Sex, Drugs, and Rock 'n'
      > > Roll...)
      > > Rip It Off / Times New Viking (are they refering to clothes, or
      > their
      > > music?)
      > > Auditorium / Radar Bros. (are they really bros? Why would you want
      > > to say that, if you're not brothers? Like Chemical Brothers, Dust
      > > Brothers, Blood Brothers, Wayans Bros...oh, wait, they are
      > brothers,
      > > and that's a TV show...sorry)
      > > In Between / Paul Van Dyk
      > > Keep Your Eyes Ahead / The Helio Sequence (because you all know
      > what
      > > happens when you put your eyes on backwards...)
      > > Music From Regions Beyond / Tiger Army (one more for the animal
      > > cavalcade)
      > > Obligatory Villagers / Nellie McKay
      > > The Bedlam in Goliath / The Mars Volta (maybe they'd get more album
      > > sales if they named it Back To Bedlam in Goliath)
      > > Women As Lovers / Xiu Xiu (you know, as opposed to fighters)
      > > Made In The Dark / Hot Chip (ummm, I hope not; it's hard to twiddle
      > > those knobs on the mix desk in the dark...)
      > > System / Seal
      > > Do You Like Rock Music? / British Sea Power (and the band lose much
      > > of their clientele, who actually don't like rock music)
      > > Seventh Tree / Goldfrapp (not quite as sexy-sounding as Felt
      > Mountain
      > > or Black Cherry...)
      > > Cigarettes & Gasoline / Emerson Hart (must be an explosive album...)
      > > Polysics Or Die!!! / Polysics (wow, what a choice...I'll have to
      > > think deeply about that one...)
      > > Moonbeams / Throw Me The Statue (on second thought, that statue is

      Try it now.

      Try it now.

    • Show all 10 messages in this topic