Re: [Stonehaven_Genealogy] Why double marriage entries?

  • Grant Muckart
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 6, 2002
      Hi Maria,

      What you are most likely seeing on the IGI is record of the marriage banns
      being read out and then the record of the marriage. Another possibility is
      that they are both banns as the banns were often read out in both of the
      couple's church's.

      Grant Muckart

      Nairn
      Scotland

      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 6, 2002
        Hi Maria,

        The dates are not marriage dates, but the dates the banns were called. In Scotland,
        the church required that the Banns be called at the churches of both bride
        and groom.

        Tom Lennie

        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 6, 2002
          Hi Tom,

          Thanks for the reply, but if they were the banns as well would the later date be
          the actual marriage?

          Or are both dates for Banns?

          I have found that all my GOVE ancestors so far have 2 dates - which date would I
          take as the marriage?

          Thanks

          Maria
        • Jessie and Tom Lennie
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 7, 2002
            Hi Maria,

            I would say both were the calling of the bans. As I
            understand it, many Scottish marriages were conducted
            in a home, and were not necessarily recorded.

            Tom

            Thanks for the reply, but if they were the banns as
            well would the later date be the actual marriage?

            Or are both dates for Banns?

            I have found that all my GOVE ancestors so far have
            2 dates - which date would I take as the marriage?

            Thanks
            Maria
          • lucky1
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 8, 2002
              Hi Jessie and Tom.

              My G.Grandfather married in Beith and Paisley. One month between.
              So did you have to do that second one in a Registry office as well.
              I thought the banns were always called in a Church. Bye for now

              Betty Bain
              lucky1@...

              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 8, 2002
                Hi Betty,

                I don't quite follow what you mean by the registry office. I can't really
                see any one getting married twice in one month to the same person. It is
                hard to say for certain whether one is a banns being read out and the later
                one is an actual marriage date. They might both be banns being proclaimed. I
                suppose the only eay to know for sure is to get hold of the church records
                for the period.

                Grant Muckart

                Nairn
                Scotland

                ---Orginal Message---

                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 9, 2002
                  Hi Betty,

                  The two dates shown would be the calling of the banns
                  in the churches of the bride and groom. This was the
                  custom of the Free Church of Scotland, the United
                  Presbyterian Church and the Evangelical Union Church
                  of Scotland. Prior to 1855, it was not required to
                  register a marriage, and most marriages were not
                  performed in Church, but in the home of the bride or