Re: [Stonehaven_Genealogy] Why double marriage entries?

  • davies2mof@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 6 12:01 AM
      Maria

      I am not 100% certain, but I think that the entries would be in the parish
      for the bride, and the parish for the groom. One would be the actual location
      of the ceremony, but the other would record the publishing of the banns in
      the other (the groom's?) parish.

      The practice was not universal, but appears sometimes to run in families.
      That may be because research tends to run in families as well! I do not know
      whether there was a cost involved in having the additional entry in the
      register at the parish where the wedding did not take place. If so, it could
      have become a tradition in some families to have the douible entry and the
      associated expense.

      I am sure that someone else will have a more authoritative comment to make.

      Ian Davies
      6 2 2

      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 6 1:25 AM
        Hi Maria,

        What you are most likely seeing on the IGI is record of the marriage banns
        being read out and then the record of the marriage. Another possibility is
        that they are both banns as the banns were often read out in both of the
        couple's church's.

        Grant Muckart

        Nairn
        Scotland

        Can anyone explain why I find two entries for marriages on the IGI web site
        for my ancestors? I have been checking up on a few mrriages tonight and they ALL
        come up with two

        e.g. one for Benholm and possibly 2 - 4 weeks later another for Bervie etc.

        Why did they get married twice?

        Thanks

        Maria
      • Jessie and Tom Lennie
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 6 8:28 AM
          Hi Maria,

          The dates are not marriage dates, but the dates the banns were called. In Scotland,
          the church required that the Banns be called at the churches of both bride
          and groom.

          Tom Lennie

          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 6 12:42 PM
            Hi Tom,

            Thanks for the reply, but if they were the banns as well would the later date be
            the actual marriage?

            Or are both dates for Banns?

            I have found that all my GOVE ancestors so far have 2 dates - which date would I
            take as the marriage?

            Thanks

            Maria
          • Jessie and Tom Lennie
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 7 10:19 PM
              Hi Maria,

              I would say both were the calling of the bans. As I
              understand it, many Scottish marriages were conducted
              in a home, and were not necessarily recorded.

              Tom

              Thanks for the reply, but if they were the banns as
              well would the later date be the actual marriage?

              Or are both dates for Banns?

              I have found that all my GOVE ancestors so far have
              2 dates - which date would I take as the marriage?

              Thanks
              Maria
            • lucky1
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 8 1:32 AM
                Hi Jessie and Tom.

                My G.Grandfather married in Beith and Paisley. One month between.
                So did you have to do that second one in a Registry office as well.
                I thought the banns were always called in a Church. Bye for now

                Betty Bain
                lucky1@...

                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 8 10:01 AM
                  Hi Betty,

                  I don't quite follow what you mean by the registry office. I can't really
                  see any one getting married twice in one month to the same person. It is
                  hard to say for certain whether one is a banns being read out and the later
                  one is an actual marriage date. They might both be banns being proclaimed. I
                  suppose the only eay to know for sure is to get hold of the church records
                  for the period.

                  Grant Muckart

                  Nairn
                  Scotland

                  ---Orginal Message---

                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 9 5:06 PM
                    Hi Betty,

                    The two dates shown would be the calling of the banns
                    in the churches of the bride and groom. This was the
                    custom of the Free Church of Scotland, the United
                    Presbyterian Church and the Evangelical Union Church
                    of Scotland. Prior to 1855, it was not required to
                    register a marriage, and most marriages were not
                    performed in Church, but in the home of the bride or