RE: Thomsons of Fetteresso

  • davies2mof@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 3, 2002
      Andrew

      The entry in Fetteresso Parish records for the birth of Robert in 1839 reads:

      John Thomas, crofter Cammachmore had a son by his wife Barbara Donald born
      10th February 1839 and baptized the 20th of the same named Robert. Witnesses
      Andrew Yule and Francis Gerard, crofters Cammachmore.

      The 1841 census (Fetteressom section 9, page 3) lists the family as living in
      a house in Cammachmore (no more details) as follows:
      John Thomas, age 45, agricultural labourer
      Barbara Thomas, age 40(?), labourer
      James, age 7
      Ann, age 5
      Robert, age 2

      I thought I had been lucky when I found, again in 1841, that the occupier of
      Mill of Monquich was:
      James Thomson, age 60
      Jean Thomson, age 60
      Catherine, age 20
      John age 15

      In 1851, James and Barbara have retired from being millers, and are living
      in, or very close to, Muchalls Castle, together with a granddaughter Jessie,
      age 7.

      However, the Mill of Monquich is now (1851) occupied by a Duncan family. I
      had hoped it might have been passed to a Thomson.

      Ian Davies
      3 1 2