Re: [Stonehaven] WEEKLY UPDATE - NOVEMBER 13, 2005

  • Hugh & Paule Scott
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 25, 1943
      Jim;

      By some quirk of modern technology I was dropped
      from the group just after this November 13 message.
      I would like to rejoin at either this address or at
      hapscott1@....

      I am pleased to have received this message as New
      Deer was one of my points of special interest. I
      have a family bible which indicates that William
      Murison was born 3rd October, 1780 at Auchesck New
      Deer and he married Margaret Irvine born 4th of June
      1783 at Nethermuir New Deer. Their eighth child Mary
      was born in 1821 and was my great grandmother who
      married a James Scott and emmigrated to Canada in
      about 1852.

      When we visited Strichen a couple of years ago there is a memorial
      stone in the church yard in memory of William Murison and Mary
      Irvine placed by their four children who survived late into the 19th
      century and who presumably stayed in Scotland.

      I presume that names such as Auchesck and Nethermuir would have
      referred to estates upon which they farmed but I would be interested
      if someone could explain this to me. I also note that Auch is the
      prefix of Auchreddie so I presume that means "field". Is that so?

      I could find no Murisons currently living in New Deer but did find a
      William Hutchins whose mother's maiden name was Murison - she at that
      time was still alive and living in a retirement home in Maud nearby.
      William indicated to me that his family records indicated that we
      were related but I have no more details than that.

      As for the Scott connection I had thought that they came from
      Strichen but the marriage certificate of James and Mary suggested
      another parish nearby.

      Could you post this note and see if it "rings any bells" with your
      extended group?

      Thanks - and Merry Christmas.

      Hugh Scott