Re: West

  • Gerald Masson
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 13, 2005
      Hi Vicki,

      I have just come back on to the website and going
      through old letters found yours.

      There was Wests lived in Brickfield Road,when I was
      a boy at school 1939-1949. I don't know Mr.West's
      occupation but he used to give magic and conjuring
      for school children.

      His wifes name was Frances Watt and they had two
      daughters, Frances and Barbara. Frances was one year
      older than me and Barbara was a year younger. I am
      71. Hope this is of some help.

      Regards,
      Ged Masson

      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 14, 2005
        I have a sister called Frances Watt and had a
        relative Helen Watt (Great grand Aunt or similar)
        who had an illegitimate child by a William West
        in Kincardineshire. Almost certain there aren't
        any connections but I include the info anyway.

        Below are my notes from my Family History file:

        Helen Watt was born 10/11/1847 and christened
        16 12 1847 (LDS Film 993319).

        At age 13 she was shown on the 1861 census as
        living at home and a student. At age 19, appears
        to have had an illegitimate son, William, by a
        William WEST, journeyman cooper, on 4/8/1866.
        Helen was shown as a domestic servant.

        At 25, on 21/6/1873, she married, in the
        Established Church of Scotland, Church of Kinneff,
        John WILL, a journeyman mason from Bervie
        (Inverbervie), and lived at 84 Barclay Street,
        Stonehaven. John was more than 20 years older
        than Hellen. She had at least 3 sons by John Will.
        He may have had 2 sons by an earlier marriage. In
        1881 there was also a boy called Alexander Stephen
        born 1872, so there were 7 boys in the house in 1881.

        In the 1891 census, all were alive in Fetteresso at
        the same address (258/1 002 5) except William (24)
        and young John (15) and Alexander Stephen (18).

        Helen died in 1917 age 70.

        Bruce Watt

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 16, 2005
          Hi Vicki,

          The only other thing I can tell you about the
          West's is that Frances married Robert Simpson
          who worked with BR in the locomotive sheds in
          Aberdeen.

          Ged Masson
        • Kenneth Coull
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 17, 2005
            Hi Bruce,

            Although I agree with most of what you've posted
            about Helen WATT, I have slightly different
            information that I believe needs to be considered:

            a) According to the IGI entry for William WEST's
            birth 4 Aug 1866, the father is Innes WEST (the
            same one, I believe, who married Margaret BLUES in
            1867 in Benholm parish & describes himself as a
            cooper in 1881) rather than William WEST. Do you
            have a copy of William's 1866 birth entry?

            b) From the 1881 Census, I have five sons all born
            in Stonehaven to Helen WATT after her 1873 marriage
            to John WILL: John b. 4 Apr 1874; George b. Abt
            1876; Robert b. Abt 1878; Archibald b. Abt 1880; and
            David b. Abt 1881 (9 weeks old at the date of Census).
            I'm not sure why you think John WILL may have had two
            sons by a prior marriage.

            c) The boy Alexander STEPHEN in the 1881 Census record
            for this family was born Alexander Stephen WATT on 28
            May 1872 Catterline to Hellen(sic) WATT. No father is
            recorded (I have not accessed the actual birth entry to
            see if perhaps paternity was subsequently established).
            However, I think one can assume this son of Helen is
            most likely a child of a liaison with a Mr. STEPHEN.

            In 1894, Alexander Stephen WATT married my 1st cousin
            (2 times removed), Margaret KNOWLES, in Stonehaven.

            Are you a descendant of Helen's brother William WATT
            born Abt 1844 Kinneff?

            Ken