Re: [Stonehaven] Census ? 1832 ?

  • Helen Miller
    Message 1 of 27 , Oct 8, 2005
      Correction: It was Margaret Moir's daughter who
      married in 1858 with witness of Arthur Moir.

      Sorry,
      Helen (hesmlr@...)
    • Tish Gibbons
      Message 2 of 27 , Oct 9, 2005
        Helen,

        I have a Mary Forbes who married 'my' Farquharson
        Mitchell in 1841 in Strachan. There is no image
        on SP so I have no idea who this Mary Forbes is.
        I don't know if it's worth ordering images, would
        they give me much more information? Is she any
        use to you?

        Tish
      • Tish Gibbons
        Message 3 of 27 , Oct 9, 2005
          Hi Helen,

          I've taken another look at Mary Forbes. Her death
          certificate (19 November 1872) declares her to have
          been the daughter of James Forbes, Farmer, Deceased
          and Ann Forbes, ms Merchant, Deceased (168/02 0769)

          This enabled me to find her birth which according to
          SP was on 30th October 1808 in Kincardine O'Neil
          (209/00 0001 Mo image). James Forbes and Ann
          Merchant married on the 4th September 1799 in
          Kincardine O'Neil.

          Don't know if there is any connection with your
          Forbes clan. If so it would be good to hear from you.

          Regards,
          Tish
        • Helen Miller
          Message 4 of 27 , Oct 9, 2005
            Hi Tish,

            It's very possible as some of my Forbes did live
            at Kincardine O'Neil, Midmar, Cluny, Keig, these
            and other areas of Aberdeen.

            However the earliest James Forbes I have to date
            was born 1797 to Francis Forbes II and Jean Edward
            - not likely he's your James.

            I will keep your information in mind in case
            something turns up.

            Thanks for your reply.
            Helen Miller

            Message 5 of 27 , Oct 9, 2005
              Tish,

              I've ordered pre-1855 images and been very
              disappointed in that they only say John Smith
              married Jane Doe on such and such date at so &
              so. And they are very costly!

              But then, sometimes they will say daughter of
              James Doe of (and a farm name or such or his
              occupation) which does give just a little more
              to go on. Sometimes they will give witnesses
              names. But you won't know until you received
              the document what it contains.

              In all, I consider ordering documents (OPR's)
              dated before 1855 from SP a big waste of money.
              You have done the best thing which is to try
              for the death certificate which was after 1855
              - that is IF the informant gave the correct
              information for it. Sometimes it is wrong or
              left blank because they don't know. Several
              times I have gotten certificates where they
              contained the wrong information. Once got on
              the wrong line and ended up deleting three
              generations. So be careful of death certificates.

              If you'd like to contact me off-list, my email is

              hesmlr@...

              Hope we DO find a connection!
              Helen

              Message 6 of 27 , Oct 9, 2005
                Tish,

                I had just done a parent search on IGI for
                children of James Forbes and Ann Merchant and
                found seven for them all born at Kincardine
                O'Neil including Mary as you have found already.

                You may want to go to http://www.familysearch.org

                These are all 'extracted copies'

                1. GEORGE FORBES - International Genealogical Index
                Gender: Male Christening: 21 JUN 1820 Kincardine
                O'Neil, Aberdeen, Scotland

                2. ALEXANDER FORBES - International Genealogical Index
                Gender: Male Christening: 26 OCT 1805 Kincardine
                O'Neil, Aberdeen, Scotland

                3. JAMES FORBES - International Genealogical Index
                Gender: Male Christening: 23 FEB 1802 Kincardine
                O'Neil, Aberdeen, Scotland

                4. BETTY FORBES - International Genealogical Index
                Gender: Female Christening: 13 APR 1811 Kincardine
                O'Neil, Aberdeen, Scotland

                5. ELSPET FORBES - International Genealogical Index
                Gender: Female Christening: 25 SEP 1813 Kincardine
                O'Neil, Aberdeen, Scotland

                6. ANN FORBES - International Genealogical Index
                Gender: Female Christening: 27 DEC 1803 Kincardine
                O'Neil, Aberdeen, Scotland

                7. MARY FORBES - International Genealogical Index
                Gender: Female Christening: 30 OCT 1808 Kincardine
                O'Neil, Aberdeen, Scotland

                Good Luck,
                Helen

                I've taken another look at Mary Forbes. Her death
                certificate (19 November 1872) declares her to have
                been the daughter of James Forbes, Farmer, Deceased
                and Ann Forbes, ms Merchant, Deceased (168/02 0769)

                This enabled me to find her birth which according to
                SP was on 30th October 1808 in Kincardine O'Neil
                (209/00 0001 Mo image). James Forbes and Ann
                Merchant married on the 4th September 1799 in
                Kincardine O'Neil.

                Don't know if there is any connection with your
                Forbes clan. If so it would be good to hear from you.

                Regards,
                Tish
              • Marge
                Message 7 of 27 , Oct 9, 2005
                  I am VERY interested in Kincardine O'Neil,
                  specifically for MILNE, any and all of them.

                  My direct ancestor was Fairly Milne who married
                  Isabella Booth Scott 1836; then 'shortly after'
                  emigrated to Canada. Fairly's parents and
                  siblings did also. Mitchell comes into my line,
                  and possibly Forbes but I can't prove that yet.
                  Apparently about 70 years of records have not
                  been found just when we want them.

                  Bonnie Milne Curry of QLD and I definitely feel
                  we connect (we resemble each other!), and also
                  to Dorothy Milne of Ontario and Helen Mercer of
                  Scotland - they, Dorothy and Helen, I believe
                  connect to a Kenneth Forbes of the KON area.

                  Marge Clark Kapas,
                  Canada

                  I've taken another look at Mary Forbes. Her death
                  certificate (19 November 1872) declares her to have
                  been the daughter of James Forbes, Farmer, Deceased
                  and Ann Forbes, ms Merchant, Deceased (168/02 0769)

                  This enabled me to find her birth which according to
                  SP was on 30th October 1808 in Kincardine O'Neil
                  (209/00 0001 Mo image). James Forbes and Ann
                  Merchant married on the 4th September 1799 in
                  Kincardine O'Neil.

                  Don't know if there is any connection with your
                  Forbes clan. If so it would be good to hear from you.

                  Regards,
                  Tish
                • m h
                  Message 8 of 27 , Oct 9, 2005
                    re-JOHN NAPIER, the math guy, inventor of 'Napiers
                    bones', algebra and other. That 'John Napier' is
                    my 10th great grandfather.

                    Charles Napier, his statue is in Trafalger Square,
                    London; is one of ours also. Anyone with any ideas
                    on a few brickwalls/people we are trying to find.

                    They are all from the 1800's.-------**David Charles
                    George Napier, app birth date 1829; his wife is a
                    mystery also, her name is Susannah Juliana Ricarda
                    Carolin.

                    **John Napier and son Micajah Napier

                    **Maria Aletta Napier

                    I have been all over the 1881 and 1901 uk census
                    on http://www.ancestry.co.uk and the 1837 civil
                    reg list, uk. and nothing.

                    Anyone reading this any ideas?

                    Thank You
                    Marie
                  • Tish Gibbons
                    Message 9 of 27 , Oct 10, 2005
                      Marge,

                      If you are interested in Milne, I hope you've
                      seen Colin Milne's website which is fascinating.
                      Should tell you all you need to know about that
                      name and area.

                      In the meantime, when you know a bit more about
                      your Mitchell/Forbes connection, let me know,
                      though only one family of 'my' Mitchells went to
                      KON and seems not to have stayed there.

                      Regards,
                      Tish

                      Message 10 of 27 , Oct 13, 2005
                        Thanks for replying, Tish. How about Mitchells
                        in Montrose? There's a great tombstone there for
                        my group. Some of my Mitchells vanished into the
                        wild blue yonder. My information on them came
                        from a great uncle who drew up an enormous pedigree
                        chart of maybe 30' then I checked for them in
                        Montrose a few years back.

                        Marge

                        Message 11 of 27 , Oct 15, 2005
                          Helen,

                          I don't think I can help you here. My earliest
                          Moir crawled out of the genealogical mist in
                          1755 and the last to leave, six generations
                          later, did it in style, by train to Dundee in
                          1899. However they all lived the other side of
                          the Grampian hills from yours, in the parishes
                          of Bervie, St Cyrus, Arbuthnott, Marykirk and
                          Laurencekirk.

                          I recalled from some earlier research into variant
                          spellings that there was a small cluster of Mawyers
                          in Maryculter. I have looked at this again and
                          although they lived in the period relevant to the
                          family you are researching I don't see anything
                          which links to your criteria.

                          There are so few Mawyers in IGI that I think it is
                          virtually inconceivable that this was a distinct
                          surname. Much more likely that the scribe of the
                          Maryculter records had simply adopted his own
                          "sounds like" spelling.

                          I did learn something useful from this. In Black's Surnames it is
                          stated that Moir is a predominantly North East of Scotland surname,
                          with early examples in Aberdeen, where it is pronounced More. Well I
                          have lived and worked in Aberdeen and Aberdeenshire, where the name
                          is common, for 35 years and I have never encountered the More
                          pronunciation. The Marykirk OPR predates Blacks research so it re-
                          inforces my belief that the pronunciation of Moir is Mawyer (or
                          moyr) throughout the researcheable period of genealogy.

                          Alan Moir