Eagleson Surname

  • bward282002
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 14, 2005
      Has anyone ever run onto the surname of Eagleson
      in Scotland? I've been told that they came over
      on a boat from the Scotland area at varying times.

      I've also been told they were from County Antrim
      in Ireland. John, William, James, Andrew (b.1778),
      Hannah, Martha, and Sarah.

      Thanks for any help,
      Brenda
    • Ron Dempsey
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 14, 2005
        According to G. F. Black's The Surnames of
        Scotland , the name is a variation of Eaglesham,
        a place name in Renfrewshire. That would explain
        an Irish connection since so many Scots from the
        South West migrated to Ireland in the 1600's.

        Ron