Re: [Stonehaven] The Scottish General Register's Office

  • MRB
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 5, 2005
      Hi,

      I have just visited the GRO in Edinburgh a few
      weeks ago, and found their facilities great. I
      reserved a reading place, although the day we
      were there they had plenty of computers - however,
      that may have been a quiet day. (Incidentally,
      are you visiting the Archives or the General
      Registrars Office? I think they are separate)

      They have good programs on their computers, & the
      great advantage is that you can cross reference
      to the OPRs which they have on microfilm in the
      same buidling. The staff are very helpful. One
      thing I did find of great use was a program that
      allowed you to use soundex on surnames, as this
      seemed to demolish a brickwall that I thought that
      I had run into. I suggest you arrive early, & get
      the staff to give you a good run through on the
      programs.

      Cost is quite high for a day at £17 odd, but I
      thought well worth it. On a practical note, they
      have a coffee room, with slot machines, which
      saves you having to break for lunch.

      Good ancestor hunting,
      Michael

      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 6, 2005
        Just an addition to my previous about the NAS:

        You've had a lot of inputs on the GROS and NAS.
        The first costs money [on a per person basis!]
        and the second is free. While the NAS is less
        accessible on the internet, it does house many
        of the Kirk Session records BUT NOT ALL!

        The KS records give details of extramarital fun
        and games & children/pregnancies out of wedlock
        and can throw up details of your ancestors not
        revealed by the OPRs [sometimes good, more often
        naughty]. They also cover other kirk official &
        accounting business, also help for the poor,
        vagrants, abandoned children &c.

        This is the caveat:

        The KS records, minutes of the Kirk Sessions, &c,
        are patchy. Some parish records have disappeared
        entirely, or bits are lost to damp and mice [truly].
        Other records are incomplete due to slack clerking,
        others due to disputes in the hierarchy. I don't
        think that even the index of what is available is
        on-line yet but it may be.

        When we went there early in 2004, there was a paper
        index in three big binders and this pointed you to
        the actual ancient documents which you could ask to
        see. Although the main ones we wanted no longer exist,
        the more peripheral parishes to our researches were
        brilliantly detailed and gave us buckets in new
        information.

        You can taken in a laptop or pencils but I don't know
        if they allow digital non-flash cameras. The copyright
        and ownership of the actual images is a bit muddled,
        with parishes sometimes retaining these.

        We spent two whole days there and were still finding out
        new facts when they chucked us out. Well worth the time.

        Have a lovely visit.

        Best wishes,
        Ray Hennessy

        For those of you with any familiarity of actual on-site research at the Scottish National Archives, do you have any words of wisdom for me? At this point, I feel like I'm starting from scratch with my family. How would I know what to request? Is it worth it, just for the sake of "experiencing" it, to visit the Archives? I have heard that one should reserve a reading room; any idea how to go about it?

        Thanks!
      • George Ewen
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 8, 2005
          Hi,

          My husband name is Ewen & I have traced most of
          his family back to 1680. The name has been spelt
          Ewan, Ewing, McEwen & MacEwan. Try some of these
          names. The Ewens are inclined to change their
          names & add new names.

          June Ewen

[...]

        • Janet