Re: [Stonehaven] Checking Scottish Ancestory

  • Eileen Rice
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 13, 2005
      What names are you researching ?

      Name place?

      Time, birth? parents names?

      More info.

      Maybe we could help.

      Eileen

      ---Original Message---

      I am looking into my scottish ancestory.
      I found that my name comes originally from
      Scotland. If any of the members have any
      information please email when it is
      convenient.
    • Elizabeth Phillips
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 14, 2005
        I could use some help, too.

        I'm trying to find out which branch of
        the Livingston family we're descended
        from. The family legend is that we're
        descended from one of the sons of
        Reverend John Livingston, but nobody
        remembers which son (because my great-
        grandmother loaned the family Bible &
        never got it bacK!!! Please don't loan
        your genealogy materials, just make
        copies for anyone who needs the info!!).

        Anyway, back to the story. The ancestor
        we know was also named John Livingston.
        He came with his wife and children from
        the Cahans Project in 1764, to Salem,
        New York. He and his son, another John,
        fought in the Revolution. The younger
        John had a daughter named Nancy or Agnes
        (we can't figure out which order). She
        married a John McDonald sometime around
        1800. We also can't find any information
        about that John McDonald and haven't been
        able to find anything about their marriage,
        which was supposed to have taken place in
        New York. They later moved to Ohio.

        Incidentally, would you be surprised to
        know that I have a brother and a nephew
        named John?

        So, does anyone know anything about that
        John Livingston and his ancestors?

        Does anyone know anything about a John
        McDonald who married a Nancy or Agnes
        Livingston?

        Thanks,
        Lilibet
      • Elizabeth Phillips
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 14, 2005
          According to swyrich.com, Keller is Scottish
          and/or German. Here's the Keller page:

          http://www.houseofnames.com/coatofarms_details.asp?s=keller&sId=

          Names like Robert and Douglas are more
          typically Scottish than German. Maybe the
          Kellers were under the protection of the
          Campbells.

          Lilibet

          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 15, 2005
            Hi Eleanor,

            Could you tell me if two of the names in my
            research are in your Scottish Names Book
            please? AITKEN and CRUDDAS.

            Thanks,
            Liz

            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 15, 2005
              Hi Lilibet,

              My Mum used to call me that. I am a
              Phillips by marriage and all I can tell
              you is that my husbands family live in
              the Littlehampton area of West Sussex,
              the the UK.

              Best wishes,
              Liz

[...]

            • Eleanor
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 16, 2005
                Hi Liz,

                Sure, glad to help... This is what Black
                has to say on Aitken:

                "AIKEN, AITKEN, AITKIN, AITKINS, ATKIN,
                ATKINS. These names are double diminutives
                of Adam, formed from 'Ad' the diminutive
                of Adam with the diminutive suffix '-kin'
                (OE -cen) with the 'd' sharpened to a 't'.
                These names have been also explained as =
                little Atty or Arthur, but the preceding
                origin is he more likely one."

                The first example Black found was John of
                Akyne ('of' here evidently an error) a
                Scottish merchant, petitioned for the
                return of his ship and goods illegally
                seized in England in 1405.

                He goes on cite many other examples, too
                numerous to mention here, in Aberdeen,
                Brechin, Glasgow Stirling, and Edinburgh,
                with the majority in Aberdeen.

                He also says "Paterson says Aitken is an
                old surname in the parish of Ballantrae,
                and in Orkney. It is believed to have
                replaced the Old Norse name Haakon and its
                derivative Hakonson.

                Robert Aitken (1734-1832), born in Dalkeith,
                was commended by resolution of Congress for
                printing of the Bible in the U.S."

                I looked for CRUDDAS, but it's evidently not
                Scottish. The nearest I could find was
                CRUDEN, (alt. Crudden, Crowden), which is
                from Cruden in the district of Buchan. The
                form Crowden is current in Caithness.

                Regards,
                Eleanor

                Could you tell me if two of the names in my
                research are in your Scottish Names Book
                please? AITKEN and CRUDDAS.

                Thanks,
                Liz
              • Jean Buchan
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 16, 2005
                  Dear Eileen,

                  Although I am not the originator of the
                  message you are replying to, maybe you
                  can help me as well.

                  My great-grandmother was born in
                  Stonehaven, Margaret Carroll, daughter
                  of Robert Carroll and Sarah Carson, both
                  of whom I think were born somewhere in
                  Ireland. There was also a son to Robert
                  & Sarah named Michael. Margaret was born
                  in 1849. There may have been other
                  children. I am just starting down this
                  road, because I have been concentrating
                  more on Margaret's husband's family,
                  which was Brebner.

                  Jean Buchan Doherty
                • Liz Phillips
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 16, 2005
                    Thank you very much Eleanor, that's
                    very helpful. I didn't think you would
                    find Cruddas, I was told that it was
                    of Scottish origin, maybe from the name
                    Curruthers but I only know it from the
                    North East of England in the Newcasrle
                    area where it is quite widespread.

[...]

                  • Kay Mumme
                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 16, 2005
                      Hi Liz,

                      I have a few Aiken names in My family tree.
                      I have a Margaret Aiken born 1868 in
                      Linlithgow, Scotland & her brother William
                      Aiken Born 1877 in Linlithgow, Scotland. I
                      have been told there were more siblings
                      other than these two even though haven't
                      found them yet.

                      Their mothers name was Margaret Shields born
                      3 Feb 1850 in Torphichen, Linlithgow, West
                      Lothian, Scotland and died in Torphichen,
                      Linlithgow, West Lothian, Scotland. I don't
                      know if Margaret married Aiken cause I
                      haven't found it yet. She did marry though
                      a William Shanks (B 1842 in Glandersland,
                      Near Slamannon, Scotland) on 22 Dec 1879
                      at Muiravonside Church, Stirlingshire,
                      Scotland. William & Margaret had 8 children
                      that I know of one of which was my great
                      grandmother Annie Shanks Born 1880 - 1962)

                      I'd be interested to know if there was a
                      connection with your Aiken Names. Good luck.

                      Take care,
                      Kay

                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 17, 2005
                        June,

                        I can not find your family in what info I
                        have on the Carsons...Sorry!

                        Good Luck in your search,
                        Eileen

                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 17, 2005
                          Hi Kay,

                          It would be great if there was a connection
                          with the names, I know there are still a
                          lot of Aitken's living in West Lothian but
                          don't know if any of them are in my tree. I
                          would assume that the Aiken must have come
                          about when someone missed the "T" on a
                          register somewhere, it would be interesting
                          to trace it back to where that was.

                          None of the names you have mentioned ring
                          any bells but if you would like to look at
                          my tree it's on genesreunited.co.uk, you
                          might have to register and then put in a
                          request to me so that you can view the tree
                          but it doesn't take too long.

                          I notice that your email address ends in au
                          and I think that's Australia, that's where
                          the only Aitken family connected to me are
                          also living. I have made contact with them
                          but only heard from my cousin once, which is
                          a bit of a pain as he said that he had lots
                          of family information. I got all excited and
                          then nothing happened unfortunately .

                          If you would like to keep in touch I would be
                          quite happy to correspond with you.

                          Message 12 of 16 , Apr 18, 2005
                            Hi Liz

                            I'd love to just look at your tree on
                            genesreunited. I have a membership so if
                            you could just let me know what Aiken names
                            to look up to find you. I don't know if you
                            would like me to contact any relations here
                            to give them a gentle nudge... and yes I'm
                            in Western Australia.

                            Message 13 of 16 , Apr 19, 2005
                              Hi Kay,

                              The main name is Andrew Aitken (don't forget
                              the T)as entered by Liz Phillips, other names
                              are Allan Aitken, Christina Robertson, Agnes
                              Cameron plus more but they should get you on
                              the right track, I hope.

                              Any chasing up would be great.

                              Liz

                              Message 14 of 16 , Apr 23, 2005
                                Hi Liz,

                                It happens that another family member has the
                                spelling as Aitken not Aiken as a 93 year old
                                cousin gave me. I looked up the names you gave
                                me but there are quiet a few.

                                Could you possibly give me a name with the Year
                                details and place as it would make it a lot
                                easier. I cant find you.

                                Take care,
                                Kay
                              • Liz Phillips
                                Message 15 of 16 , Apr 24, 2005
                                  Hi Kay,

                                  My dob is 24.01.1949 in Glasgow.

                                  Andrew Aitken 04.0.1921 - Glasgow

                                  m Ada Cruddas 01.04.1921 Hebbon on Tyne

                                  Allan Aitken 22.03.1898 - Rutherglen, Glasgow

                                  m Christina Robertson 13.12.1895 Glasgow

                                  Andrew Aitken 31.08.1855 - Glasgow

                                  m Agnes Cameron 13.08.1857

                                  Hope this helps?
                                  Liz

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Apr 30, 2005
                                    Hi Jean,

                                    I have a Janet BREBNER in my tree who was,
                                    supposedly born in Laurencekirk, Kincardine,
                                    Scotland abt. 1813 and married a William
                                    FOTHERINGHAM in Laurencekirk, Kincardine, on
                                    Oct 1833. Do you have any knowledge of her
                                    siblings or parents?

                                    Janet died in Fetteresso, Kincardineshire in Nov 1879.

                                    Regards,
                                    Don