Re: [Stonehaven] Murray Research

  • J & M Nelson
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 31, 2005
      Thank's for the reply.

      Benholm is in Kincardinshire south of Johnshaven.

      Marie

      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 31, 2005
        J & M Nelson

        Since you stated you had done a fair amount of
        research on your Murray family I wondered if your
        Murrays ever lived in Marykirk. My great-aunt Rose
        Ann Mitchell (b. 1877 Mill of Dumbeck, Tillyeive,
        Udny,) married a James Alexander Murray b. 28 May
        1874, Arrat Cottage, Brechinshire.

        They were married in Kinneff, right down the road
        from Benholm. In fact my grandmother was christened
        & used to sing at the Benholm church. James's father
        was David Murray, born 26 Jun 1831 in Marykirk,
        Kincardineshire and the family lived there for quite
        a while. I haven't done that much research on this
        family, but one of my cousins who is the descendant
        of James Murray & Rosie Mitchell is very interested
        in learning more about her Murray family.

        Mary Beth

        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 31, 2005
          Benholm is a small town in a small parish on
          the coast south of Inverbervie. Benholm is
          about half way between Montrose & Stonehaven
          in the county of Kincardineshire.

          Diana M

          Message 4 of 19 , Apr 1, 2005
            Hi,

            There is a Benholm near the fishing village
            of Johnshaven South of Stonehaven.

            June

            Message 5 of 19 , Apr 1, 2005
              Mary - Beth,

              Thankyou for your reply.

              Unfortunately I don't think there is a connection.
              My immediate family line is Traceable to King
              Edward Parish (near Turriff and Banff) from approx
              1790 - 2000. I do have details on quite a number
              of siblings, but where they went to I do not know,
              and neither do I know what children they had.

              James and Alexander are both names that feature
              strongly in my family since at least 1745, in
              fact if you reverse them, that is my name! I
              have no record of a David Murray, or of Marykirk
              though.

              I like to think that everybody with the name
              Murray are related in one way or another, the
              trick is finding out how. Unfortunately a Clan
              as prolific as ours makes it hard to trace
              ancestors.

              If I find any connection I will let you know
              straight away, and would gladly share my
              information.

              Regards,
              Alec Murray

              Since you stated you had done a fair amount of
              research on your Murray family I wondered if your
              Murrays ever lived in Marykirk. My great-aunt Rose
              Ann Mitchell (b. 1877 Mill of Dumbeck, Tillyeive,
              Udny,) married a James Alexander Murray b. 28 May
              1874, Arrat Cottage, Brechinshire.

              They were married in Kinneff, right down the road
              from Benholm. In fact my grandmother was christened
              & used to sing at the Benholm church. James's father
              was David Murray, born 26 Jun 1831 in Marykirk,
              Kincardineshire and the family lived there for quite
              a while. I haven't done that much research on this
              family, but one of my cousins who is the descendant
              of James Murray & Rosie Mitchell is very interested
              in learning more about her Murray family.

              Mary Beth
            • Eileen Rice
              Message 6 of 19 , Apr 1, 2005
                Alec,

                I was wondering if by chance you have your Murray's
                back to the 1600's?

                I have a Bessie Murray born some time around 1660
                as her first child was born 1684 probably in
                Montrose.Ans.who married James Greig.

                Do you think there might be a connection in your
                line?

                Any help would be appreciated.
                Eileen

                Message 7 of 19 , Apr 2, 2005
                  Eileen,

                  I have some details back to approx 1690.
                  Alexander Murray was born Alvah 1755, son
                  of John Murray of Ryland born approx 1720,
                  married to Agnes Symson; he was son of John
                  Murray, born approx 1690 (but 1690 is a pure
                  guess). I do not know who John Murray was
                  married to or where he came from, According
                  to ANESFHS it wasn't Alvah or the surrounding
                  area.

                  I am very keen to get more details but I am
                  finding it hard to do so. There could well
                  be a connection between our families, if I
                  ever find it I will gladly share all

                  Message 8 of 19 , Apr 4, 2005
                    Sorry I have been concentrating on the Barclay
                    side. Haven't come across any Murray's from
                    Marykirk yet.

                    Marie

                    Since you stated you had done a fair amount of
                    research on your Murray family I wondered if your
                    Murrays ever lived in Marykirk. My great-aunt Rose
                    Ann Mitchell (b. 1877 Mill of Dumbeck, Tillyeive,
                    Udny,) married a James Alexander Murray b. 28 May
                    1874, Arrat Cottage, Brechinshire.

                    They were married in Kinneff, right down the road
                    from Benholm. In fact my grandmother was christened
                    & used to sing at the Benholm church. James's father
                    was David Murray, born 26 Jun 1831 in Marykirk,
                    Kincardineshire and the family lived there for quite
                    a while. I haven't done that much research on this
                    family, but one of my cousins who is the descendant
                    of James Murray & Rosie Mitchell is very interested
                    in learning more about her Murray family.

                    Mary Beth
                  • Ron Dempsey
                    Message 9 of 19 , Apr 5, 2005
                      I have a Barclay line that from Marykirk
                      starting with a Catharine Barclay b. 1790
                      at Gosely. It appears that they are
                      descended from the Barclays of Mathers.

                      Message 10 of 19 , Apr 5, 2005
                        Ron,

                        My Barclay's come from Benholm back to the
                        1700's on my ggrandmother's side, also on
                        my grandfather's maternal side I have John
                        Burness born 1740 married to Isobel Barclay
                        b 1733 who are on Robbie Burns family tree.

                        Marie

                        I have a Barclay line that from Marykirk
                        starting with a Catharine Barclay b. 1790
                        at Gosely. It appears that they are
                        descended from the Barclays of Mathers.
                      • Janet

                          Message 12 of 19 , Apr 6, 2005
                            Thank you Janet,

                            I do know of the very interesting BURNESS
                            web site

                            Marie

                            You probably know then that there is a huge
                            Burness website?

                            Janet
                          • Webmaster
                            Message 13 of 19 , Apr 7, 2005
                              Just thought I would jump into your
                              conversation - I am a Murray too, on my
                              dad's side, and I have Barclay's in my
                              family too, on my mom's side (from the
                              USA but don't know their heritage)
                              through marriage.

                              If anyone notices a connection please
                              let me know. My Murray's are from
                              Aberdeen, Invenurie, Scotland. My dad,
                              Robert D. Murray was born there in 1922,
                              his dad, George Clark Lawrence Murray
                              was also born there in 1896. His dad,
                              George Lawrence Murray was also born
                              there in estimating 1874. That is as
                              far back as I have.

                              My Barclay research is not too much,
                              but Harry T. Barclay married my cousin
                              in Illinois. He was born in 1872. I
                              have info on his children.
                            • Kenneth Coull
                              Message 14 of 19 , Apr 7, 2005
                                Hi,

                                I've been away for a few days hence my delay
                                in posting this reply.

                                Are you refering to the John BARCLAY (chr.16
                                Oct 1757 Benholm) who married Helen MURRAY
                                (chr. 6 Sep 1756 Benholm) on 16 Aug 1787
                                Benholm parish? John's parents were Andrew
                                BARCLAY & Margaret BURNESS; Helen's parents
                                were Alexander MURRAY & Anne MILNE.

                                Ken

                                Message 15 of 19 , Apr 8, 2005
                                  Hi Ken,

                                  Yes these are mine:

                                  - John Barclay & Helen Murray are my
                                  GGGGrandparent's.

                                  - GGGrandparent's are John Barclay (1793) &
                                  Charlotte Patterson(1798)

                                  - GGrandparent's John James Black (1826) &
                                  Elizabeth Helen Barclay (1827)

                                  - Grandparent's William David Black(1866) &
                                  Ruth Elizabeth Goodchild (1864)

                                  Do they fit in with yours?

                                  Marie,
                                  Qld Australia