Re: Alexander Simpson of Fetteresso

  • Jim
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 31 7:05 PM
      Hi Terry,

      Arbroath is located in Angus with a population of,
      roughly, 25,000. It is a fishing port and resort
      town. It's original name was more descriptive of
      it's origin- Aberbrothock, "at the mouth of the
      Brothock" (Burn). Probably most well known for it's
      abbey which was completed in 1233. Arbroath became
      a royal burgh on the 23rd November 1599.

      In the 18th and 19th centuries Arbroath became a
      centre for linen weaving, spinning, bleaching &
      tanning with mills dotted all the way down the
      Brothock valley and, it is believed, Arbroath
      mills supplied the sails for the "Cutty Sark". It
      is also famous for it's delicacy, the "Smokie",
      which was really an Auchmithie invention.

      As for whether the Stonehaven Journal is indexed
      or not, I'm not quite sure, but to the best of my
      knowledge the Stonehaven Public Library does have
      copies of the Stonehaven Journal, real ones, not
      microfilm, from 1845 on. This library is one of
      the best places to research for anything to do
      with Stonehaven and area. They also have an
      extensive local history section of books as well
      as the appropriate OPR microfilms.

      You can try contacting them at:

      Stonehaven Library
      Evan Street