Re: Alex. Knowles of Stonehaven

  • gedmasson
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 9, 2004
      I enjoyed John Christies memories of "Thud" it made me think
      of other Stony characters of my childhood. The outstanding
      one has to be Jock Shepherd. Jock I believe played trials
      for Hamilton Accies in goal but never signed for them. He was
      football mad and did wonders for the youth of Stoney. He was
      an avid Celtic supporter and I remember him going to a Celtic,
      Rangers match & bringing back Celtic ties for Duggie Strachan,
      Ian Scott and myself all Celtic supporters. Way back in 47-48
      maybe both Jock entered a team in Kincardineshire and North
      Angus under 14s summer league. When I try to remember who all
      played for the Stonehaven Dynamos my mind goes blank. I do
      remember Stan Mitchell, Joe Watt, Gordon Turner, and I think
      Ronnie Crabbe and of course myself. Every away game we
      travelled in Charlie Milnes taxi Jock in the front and eleven
      players in the back.(no subs in these days)Charlies taxi was
      a brown Rolls Royce and we used to call it Charlies cocoa tin.
      Jock payed all expenses even half time oranges and chips after
      away matches.

      I remember playing on the links at Montrose once, the pitch
      was full of holes and they had been filled with loose sand.
      I put my foot in one of these holes and twisted my ankle
      badly.I took my boot off in the taxi and when I was dropped
      at the Station Hotel (Charlie had two drop off points Station
      and Market Square.) I found I couldn't walk and was crawling
      on my hands and knees when the Brickfield bus passed the
      driver Frank--? came out lifted me on to the bus stopped at
      my house and carried me to my front door, knocked and left
      me. As I say my mind is blank of that time as I have no
      recollection of the team Physio's visits or of having
      counselling !!Oh well. Jock was also very good in his
      capacity as Undertaker. I remember my Sister died when she
      was three. My Dad was in Egypt at the time and Jock came to
      the house and told me that I was head of the house and would
      take Dads place at the head of the cortege and have the number
      one cord.Jock stood behind me and helped me lower the coffin.
      He did the same for my nine year old son at my Aunty Ethels
      funeral. If there are any old Stony.,Dynamos read this who
      can tell me team members I love to here from them.

      Ged Masson
    • JOHN CHRISTIE
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 10, 2004
        Jock Shepherd also led the fireball procession for many years
        and I remember my father telling me that Jock tried to get them
        to swing the fireballs up to the Market Square but nobody could
        swing that far, apart from Jock.

        Stanehyve
      • JOHN CHRISTIE