Re: BURNESS

  • is_swampy@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 10, 2001
      --- In Stonehaven_Genealogy@y..., JillSimon@a... wrote:
      > Hello :)
      > My grandfather was Alexander Napier BURNESS, born 1892, in
      Stonehaven.
      > I am so happy we now have a list devoted to Stonehaven researchers.
      Thank you
      > Jim!
      > Other names I am researching are DALLAS, STEPHEN and FORREST.
      > I also have the 1881 census, if any one would like something looked
      up.
      > Bye for now.
      > Jill :)
      > Nanaimo, BC

      Hi Jill,
      Appears we have two things in common. I too, reside in Nanaimo, B.C.
      and am also researching ancestry in Stonehaven. My Great grandparents
      were James Gowrie Farquhar and Robina Ann Main. They resided at 79
      Barclay St., Stonehaven Apr 17, 1919 as per my Grandparents wedding
      certificate. MY granddmother Una Isabella Margaret was born May 10,
      1896 Dubton, Marykirk as per her birth certificate. Could I ask that
      you check the census for these individuals. Thanks in advance

      Shirley Marsh
      Nanaimo, B.C.
    • grabo
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 11, 2001
        What Stephen are you researching?

        I have quite a line, stretching from Scotland, USA and Austrailia.

        Kathy ..... searching for the following
        G.R.A.B.O H.E.R.M.A.N.C.E K.O.Z.A B.U.R.K.E O.D.D.Y
        D.A.L.Z.I.E.L S.C.O.T.T S.T.E.P.H.E.N D.Z.I.K.O.W.S.K.A
      • JillSimon@aol.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 11, 2001
          Hi :)
          I am looking for a Jane Stephen born abt 1864?, she married a man with the
          surname Summers/Sommers, they had one daughter Jean.
          Mr Summers/Sommers died, Jane then married my great-grandfather Robert
          Burness abt 1889.
          Robert Burness and Jane Stephen had four sons, Robert b 1890 d 1905,
          Alexander Napier b 1892, James b 1896 d 1918 in France and George b 1898.
          Robert raised Jean as his daughter, I have no idea if Jean's surname was
          changed to Burness.
          This is all the information I have on Jane Stephen.
          I looked in the 1881 census for Jane Stephen, but there are so many I have no
          way of knowing which one is mine. I would be eternally grateful if anyone
          could help me.
          Thank you so much for writing.
          Bye for now.
          Jill :)
          Nanaimo, BC

        • Joyce Marshall
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 11, 2001
            What a small world. I live down here in Sidney, B. C. and was in Nanaimo
            last weekend. Unfortunately, the names you are researching aren't the same
            as mine, but are in the same area.

            The name Stephen rings a bell. The Stephen which appears on my family tree
            was a man married to an Andrew, and it is the Andrew line that is mine.

            Joyce Marshall
            > > My grandfather was Alexander Napier BURNESS, born 1892, in
            > Stonehaven.
            > > I am so happy we now have a list devoted to Stonehaven researchers.
            > Thank you
            > > Jim!
            > > Other names I am researching are DALLAS, STEPHEN and FORREST.
            > > I also have the 1881 census, if any one would like something looked
            > up.
            > > Bye for now.
            > > Jill :)
            > > Nanaimo, BC

            > Hi Jill,
            > Appears we have two things in common. I too, reside in Nanaimo, B.C.
            > and am also researching ancestry in Stonehaven. My Great grandparents
            > were James Gowrie Farquhar and Robina Ann Main. They resided at 79
            > Barclay St., Stonehaven Apr 17, 1919 as per my Grandparents wedding
            > certificate. MY granddmother Una Isabella Margaret was born May 10,
            > 1896 Dubton, Marykirk as per her birth certificate. Could I ask that
            > you check the census for these individuals. Thanks in advance
            >
            > Shirley Marsh
            > Nanaimo, B.C.

          • David Stephen
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 24, 2001
              Jill

              I am also researching the Stephen family from Catterline and
              Stonehaven surrounds.

              I have also a Violet Dallas who married Fred Gove in Stonehaven in
              1935. Is this Violet part of your research.

              Also what information do you have on the Stephen family that I can
              link into.

              Regrads

              David Stephen

              Sunny Brisbane Australia, (Ex Stonehaven resident)
            • David Stephen
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 24, 2001
                Joyce

                I also have Andrew Stephen in my family going back for 10 generations.

                They are all from Catterline.

                Can you provide more information for me please on your Andrew.

                Regards

                David Stephen (former Stonehaven resident) now in sunny Brisbane
                Australia
              • JillSimon@aol.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 24, 2001
                  Hi David :)

                  I think we have corresponded before. I was looking for a Jane Stephen who
                  married Robert Burness Oct 2, 1889 at Stonehaven. Jane was previously married
                  to a Mr Summers/Sommers ? Abt 1885, they had one daughter Jean. My late Dad
                  told me Jean was about 4 years old when Robert and Jane married.

                  My great-grandfather Robert Burness raised the child Jean, as his own
                  daughter. There are so many Jane Stephens in the 1881 census, I can't tell which one is mine!

                  I am desperately trying to find my Jane Stephen's date of birth and her
                  parents names. Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

                  Thank you for writing.
                  Jill :)
                  Nanaimo, BC
                • grabo
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 24, 2001
                    Don't forget me either David, The Last Andrew Stephen I have married Helen
                    Douglass, 1754.

                    Kathy ..... searching for the following
                    G.R.A.B.O H.E.R.M.A.N.C.E K.O.Z.A B.U.R.K.E O.D.D.Y
                    D.A.L.Z.I.E.L S.C.O.T.T S.T.E.P.H.E.N D.Z.I.K.O.W.S.K.A
                  • Bruce Watt
                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 24, 2001
                      David,

                      I have three mystery Alexander Stephen(s). One married a Christine Blair and
                      they had a son Alexander Stephen in 1814 who died in 1871 in Catterline.

                      The third Alexander Stephen was born about 1872 . He was shown as 9 on the
                      1881 census when he was resident with my relative Helen Will (nee Watt) and
                      John Will and their 6 sons at 84 Barclay St. Stonehaven.

                      I have no idea if any of them are relations - just mysteries. A David
                      Stephen was a witness at Helen and John's wedding in 1873. As two of the
                      Will boys were born before then, I'm not sure if John Will was married
                      twice.

                      Bruce Watt
                      Melborne, Australia