DUTHIE

  • Alexander Gray
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 10, 2001
      Hi Ann

      I have an Isabel Duthie baptised 20 April 1798 at St Cyrus to
      Robert Duthie and Isobel Jarvis/Jervis, however, I do not know
      if she married Hercules Don. The name Hercules was certainly
      used in my family line, Isabel's nephew Alexander named one
      of his sons Hercules (Born 17.1.1849 at Craig) Robert was
      recorded as a farmer at Upper Criggie, St Cyrus from 1791
      till 1798 and in 1802 he is listed as a farmer at Spitalmyre, St
      Cyrus. He married Isobel Jarvis on 15 May 1789 at Benholm
      and both are buried in Benholm Cemetery.

      Have you been able to trace your Isabella in the 1851 census?
      If so, does her place of birth and age correspond with my
      Isabel?

      Look forward to hearing from you.

      Alex.

      p.s. I have arranged to meet with a Lorraine Blake from
      Tasmania, Australia, next week in Dundee. She is a
      descendant of the Hercules Duthie mentioned above.
    • abelau@ocsnet.net
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 10, 2001
        Hi Alex
        It doesn't look like our Isabels are one and the same. I did find
        Hercules Don and Isabel Duthie Don living at #10 Stone of Benholm in
        the second district of Benholm in the 1851 census. No matter how
        many times I subtract, it still comes out that she was born in 1817
        and in Marykirk.

        I wouldn't be at all surprised if there isn't some connection though.
        My Hercules was a farm servant, but I don't know where (yet!) and
        their children were born in St. Cyrus, Garvock and Benholm. If you
        find anything please let me know. I will keep my fingers crossed
        that Lorraine Blake might be able to give you a clue.

        Take care,
        Ann