Re: [Stonehaven Genealogy] Strachan/Adam, Banchory-Ternan

  • davies2mof@aol.com
    Message 1 of 24 , Jan 11, 2004
      Jeni

      Banchoag, Rincar

      It is not always easy to read the old handwriting. Banchoag
      looks like a misreading of Banchory.

      Rincar is probably a misreading of Kincar(dineshire).

      A long shot alternative might involve the Deeside village of
      Kincardine O'Neil, which is about 10 miles west of Banchory.
      It is known locally as Kinker (spelling not fixed). If there
      was a house or estate called Banchoag (or similar) close to
      Kinker ......

      If you would like to email an image of the document to me,
      I would be happy to look at it.

      Ian Davies
      11 1 4

      Message 2 of 24 , Jan 11, 2004
        Hi Ian

        Thanks for your email.

        >>> If you would like to email an image of the document to me <<<

        No image, sorry Ian, I found the details on the IGI, in fact,
        I copied and pasted it from the site to the email. I appreciate
        your input because, half way around the world here in New
        Zealand, I wasn't aware of any other possibilities for Banchoag,
        Rincar,,,.

        >>> If there was a house or estate called Banchoag (or similar)
        close to Kinker ...... <<<

        Back to the drawing board, I guess. I have looked at the old-maps
        site closely, moving the map up and down and across, and find no
        Banchoag marked on the map of Kincardine O'Neil, however, that
        doesn't answer the question as the timeframe is quite different.

        Kind regards
        Jeni
      • d.fern@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 24 , Jan 12, 2004
          Hello Ian Davies,

          I have sent a e-mail to Jeni Simpson about James S.
          Strachan husband of Eleanor Margaret Gorham Smith.
          His middle name is Stephen. The town Fraserbeth is
          mentioned.

          Daughter Eleanor Margaret Strachan born 31 March 1904
          in Stonehaven. She married William Robert Tait born
          17 May 1902 in Scotland-Dase-Kirkwell-Orphier-Fraserbeth.

          They both died in the USA and have two living sons.
          More info available.

          My brother-in-law Robert Tait has a certificate of
          citzenship #86941 dated June 5,1930. He also has a
          passport dated March 6,1916 Great Britain on his father.

          Eleanor Margaret Gorham Strachan information mentions
          a cottage in Stonehaven.

          It is not always easy to read the old handwriting. Banchoag
          looks like a misreading of Banchory.

          Rincar is probably a misreading of Kincar(dineshire).

          A long shot alternative might involve the Deeside village of
          Kincardine O'Neil, which is about 10 miles west of Banchory.
          It is known locally as Kinker (spelling not fixed). If there
          was a house or estate called Banchoag (or similar) close to
          Kinker ......

          If you would like to email an image of the document to me,
          I would be happy to look at it.

          Ian Davies
          11 1 4
        • Jeni Simpson
          Message 4 of 24 , Jan 12, 2004
            Hi Dorothy,

            >>> I have sent an e-mail to Jeni Simpson about James S.
            Strachan husband of Eleanor Margaret Gorham Smith.<<<

            Thank you for your email regarding the STRACHAN family.
            I am sorry I am unable to help you with this James S
            STRACHAN. My Strachans are from Aberdeen and not from
            Stonehaven and I have found no link to the town other
            than the marriage in Banchory-Ternan to Margaret ADAM
            from Banchory-Ternan.

            Sorry I am unable to help you with this one, wish I could.

            Kind regards
            Jeni
          • jeccjax@bellsouth.net
            Message 5 of 24 , Jan 12, 2004
              Jeni -

              I am researching the HUNTER family in/near Banchory-Ternan,
              Strachan, and Durris. James HUNTER, who was a merchant on
              the main road in Banchory (across the street from the
              church) on the road leading to Aberdeen was married to an
              Agnes ADAM. I don't know that I have much on her, but I'll
              check to see if there's anything which might be of interest
              to you.

              In the meantime, if in your reserach you come across any
              HUNTERs, I'd be interesting in whatever you find.

              If Agnes ADAM is a part of your family, I can share some
              information on James HUNTER (who was my mother's great-uncle).
              James' sister, Jean (or Jane) was my mother's grandmother.
              James HUNTER was apparently quite a character. Penny-pincher
              to the core!! Can't imagine what it would have been like to
              have been married to him!

              Jean Coker
              Jacksonville, Florida

              Message 6 of 24 , Jan 12, 2004
                Dear ?

                A few comments on your email.,

                I have not heard of a town called Fraserbeth in Scotland.
                There is a town called Fraserburgh on the east coast about
                30 miles north of Aberdeen.

                Equally, I have not heard of Kirkwell, although it is not
                an impossible name. However, the main town on Orkney
                mainland is Kirkwall, and there is a parish in Orkney
                called Orphir.

                Ian Davies

                I have sent a e-mail to Jeni Simpson about James S.
                Strachan husband of Eleanor Margaret Gorham Smith.
                His middle name is Stephen. The town Fraserbeth is
                mentioned.

                Daughter Eleanor Margaret Strachan born 31 March 1904
                in Stonehaven. She married William Robert Tait born
                17 May 1902 in Scotland-Dase-Kirkwell-Orphier-Fraserbeth.

                They both died in the USA and have two living sons.
                More info available.

                My brother-in-law Robert Tait has a certificate of
                citzenship #86941 dated June 5,1930. He also has a
                passport dated March 6,1916 Great Britain on his father.

                Eleanor Margaret Gorham Strachan information mentions
                a cottage in Stonehaven.
              • Don Adams
                Message 7 of 24 , Jan 14, 2004
                  Jeni,

                  Probably the best way to get more information about
                  Margaret Adam would be to order a copy of the original
                  marriage record.

                  You can do this online at:

                  http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/

                  for a reasonable price. The record may have the name of
                  a farm (village) which can help make the link between
                  families and generations within families. You could also
                  search the same site for her death record. It is likely
                  she lived past 1855 when death records became mandatory.
                  They contain a wealth of information which can help in
                  your search. I did a quick check and couldn't find any
                  more information but my credits ran out so I couldn't do
                  all that I wanted to do.

                  If it turns out that the Margaret Adam you are looking
                  for was the one born in 1790, then the following might be
                  helpful...

                  Margret Adam was born June 9, 1790. She was the sister of
                  my great, great, great grandfather whose name was David Adam.
                  Their father, William Adam, was born in Durris,
                  Kincardineshire. He married Jane Leighton from Strachan.
                  They raised their family at Easter Beltie. Easter Beltie is
                  a farm which still exists and is located north of Banchory.
                  The ties between the Adam Family and Strachan are numerous.
                  Strachan is located about three miles to the south-west of
                  Banchory/Banchory Ternan and families did move around locally
                  as crofts and the rights to them became available. Also,
                  record for the time are parish records so the name of the
                  parish depends upon the church attended by the family at the
                  time. For example, David Adam, my great,great,great grandfather
                  was born at Easter Beltie on October 12, 1788. The name of the
                  parish which contains the record is Kincardine O'Neil. He died
                  on April 15, 1856 at a farm, name unknown, in the parish of
                  Drumoak, and is buried in the Banchory Ternan graveyard.
                  Locating a map will help you see just how close all of these
                  places are.

                  Also, don't dismiss Stonehaven as a place to search, at least
                  one branch of the family moved their in the mid to late 1800's.

                  I have more information about the Adam Family and I would be
                  happy to share it, if the tie can be found.

                  Good Luck,
                  Don Adams

                  Message 8 of 24 , Jan 14, 2004
                    Hi Don

                    >>> Margret Adam was born June 9, 1790. She was the
                    sister of my great, great, great grandfather whose name
                    was David Adam. <<<

                    Thank you for your email. I would guess by your email
                    that your Margaret ADAM, the one born 1790, is possibly
                    the same one that is on the LDS who was born at Banchoag,
                    Rincar,,, Scotland. Funny though, I just went back to
                    the site putting in the same info and this one comes up
                    as 'Banchory,, Kincardine, Scotland' now! That will set
                    that question straight anyway! And this time, I found
                    more, including a Margaret ADAM born 1802 in Fordown,
                    Kincardine, Scotland. I will look into this one too.

                    >>> Probably the best way to get more information about
                    Margaret Adam would be to order a copy of the original
                    marriage record.<<<

                    I tried the free search at scotlandspeople only to find no
                    Strachan/Adam marriage in the time period of 1800-1830 and,
                    unfortunately, with no credit card, I need to find my
                    information at resources within New Zealand so I will need
                    to wait until I can get over to the family history centre
                    to order the film of the marriage entry. However, thank
                    you for your suggestion. I will let you know if I find
                    we have some connection.

                    >>> Locating a map will help you see just how close all of
                    these places are. Also, don't dismiss Stonehaven as a place
                    to search, at least one branch of the family moved their in
                    the mid to late 1800's.<<<

                    I have a few maps of Scotland, including road maps, an AA
                    Ordnance Survey Leisure Guide to the Scottish Highlands and an
                    AA Touring Atlas of Britain and Ireland, and I have checked
                    the closeness of the towns mentioned. I have not, as yet,
                    dismissed Stonehaven, I merely have found no mention of the
                    town yet, although I have noticed many Strachan's in the area
                    mine, so far, were all born in Aberdeen, whether in St Nicholas
                    or Old Machar, at this stage in my research. I keep all info
                    regarding the areas I am researching because I have found in
                    the past that a name I had discounted as not mine, comes up
                    and kicks me some time later and I'm thankful I have kept the
                    earlier material.

                    Heaps of thanks for your reply, Don. It is great to get answers
                    to my query and I truly appreciate all those who have replied.

                    My William STRACHAN b. St Nicholas, Aberdeen in 1827 travelled
                    from Greenock, Scotland to Melbourne, Australia, via Jamaica,
                    arriving in Melbourne in 1850. William had an uncle who was a
                    clergyman near Balmoral, Scotland and he spent some time there
                    at the manse, it was probably hoped he would go into the ministry,
                    but he found life there too strict. James Strachan, father of
                    William Adam Strachan is said to come from a family of shipbuilders
                    on Tyne. William was in poor health, thought to be TB, given his
                    share of the business, and advised to go to a warmer climate. He
                    went to Jamaica, became involved with the rum and sugar industry,
                    and came to Australia for that business. He eventually arrived in
                    Dunedin, New Zealand where he set up in business as a brewer in
                    Sawyers Bay and then in Dunedin. Strachan's brewery was eventually
                    taken over by Speights, a well known brewery in New Zealand.

                    Kind regards
                    Jeni, Simpson, New Zealand
                  • davies2mof@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 24 , Jan 15, 2004
                      Jeni

                      The place you mention called Fordown is now called Fordoun
                      and is a few miles south of Stonehaven.

                      Ian Davies
                      15 1 4

                      Message 10 of 24 , Jan 15, 2004
                        Jeni

                        If you want to see a modern map of anywhere in the UK
                        look at:

                        http://uk.multimap.com/map/places.cgi

                        If you want to see a map of anywhere in the UK in the
                        mid to late 19th century, go to

                        http://www.old-maps.co.uk/

                        Both sites are free.

                        Ian Davies
                        15 1 4
                      • Jeni Simpson
                        Message 11 of 24 , Jan 15, 2004
                          Ian

                          >>> Fordown is now called Fordoun and is a few miles
                          south of Stonehaven.<<<

                          Thanks for this information. I had a quick look yesterday
                          when I found the information on the LDS and couldn't find
                          the village, so this has helped considerably.

                          Old maps is down at present, they will be having down time
                          between the 16th and 19th January. I found Fordoun on
                          Multimap and in my atlases, close to a motorway, and am
                          intrigued as to what the motorway is. My AA atlas has it
                          as the A94 whereas Multimap and my Collins road atlas have
                          it as the A90. Must have been changed between 1991 and 1995,
                          or one of my atlases is incorrect! :-)

                          Kind regards
                          Jeni
                        • davies2mof@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 24 , Jan 15, 2004
                            Jeni

                            The road is now the A90 and is the main road south from
                            Aberdeen to Dundee and down to Edinburgh. It is a dual
                            carriageway rather than a motorway.

                            Ian
                            16 1 4

                            Message 13 of 24 , Jan 16, 2004
                              Ian and listers

                              Thanks for your never ending knowledge, Ian. Wow! It is great
                              to have such support as a new lister.

                              I did google Fordoun last night and found much information online.
                              For such a small village, as it appears to be, Fordoun has quite a
                              history.

                              I am enjoying the links to Banchory, Stonehaven and Strachan as
                              well. Next thing I wonder about is the family name, Strachan. I
                              understand, from my readings online, the name Strawn/Strachan/
                              Strahan comes from the village of Strachan in Kincardineshire
                              and is an old British name. Is anyone able to expand on this
                              information?

                              Sorry to ask so many questions. The Strachan branch hasn't been an
                              easy one to follow thus far and I am hoping to get more of the
                              Strachan's via their spouses and now that Don has suggested I don't
                              dismiss Stonehaven, nor any other possibilities, I am trying to
                              garner anything I can in order to understand this branch of my tree
                              a bit better.

                              Thank you
                              Jeni
                            • JIM ALLAN
                              Message 14 of 24 , Jan 16, 2004
                                Hi Jeni, Tom,

                                Since you're now looking at the Stonehaven area of Scotland, I
                                thought I would pass along a few things to you to see if you
                                can connect any of them to your records. Strachan has been a
                                very well known family name in the Stonehaven & Cowie area of
                                Kincardineshire for at least the past 200 years or so. A matter
                                of fact, there are still 18 listings for the name Strachan in
                                the phone book as of this year.

                                Below are the 15 headstones from both the Cowie Churchyard in
                                Cowie and the old section of the Dunnottar Churchyard in
                                Stonehaven that contain the surname Strachan:

                                DUNNOTTAR CHURCHYARD - Old Section

                                - In memory of JOHN ANDERSON late in Nethercriggie d. 25 May
                                1763 aged 60; ANN LOWNIE his spouse d. 18 Mar. 1781 aged 69;
                                their children WILLIAM d. in infancy; Also JOHN ANDERSON weaver,
                                Croalstack d. 1835 aged 81; ELSPET STRACHAN his wife d. 1792
                                aged 32; their son JOHN d. 14 Apr. 1858 aged 67; JAMES d. 1 Dec.
                                1862 aged 77.

                                - Here lies ye body of GEORGE STRACHAN late in Lumgare d. 18 June
                                1785 aged 62; JANET HAMPTON his wife d. 4 Feb. 1816 aged 84; this
                                stone was erected by ye above GEORGE STRACHAN wright in Lumgare in
                                memory of his son JAMES STRACHAN d. 26 Jan. 1777 aged 19; also
                                GEORGE their 2nd son d. 24 Aug. 1783 aged 20 years.

                                - Erected by JOSEPH MAIN in loving memory of his wife MAGGIE COULL
                                STRACHAN d. 1 Nov. 1896 aged 26.

                                COWIE CHURCHYARD:

                                - In memory of JAMES STRACHAN blacksmith d. 28 Dec. 1842 aged 75 &
                                ELIZABETH ROBERT spouse of JAMES STRACHAN blacksmith in Woodhead of
                                Ury d. 16 May 1811 aged 42. JAMES their son d. in infancy, JANE
                                STRACHAN d. Stonehaven 17 Apr. 1845 aged 70.

                                - In memory of ALEXANDER STRACHAN d. Blackhill, Dunnottar 18 Dec.
                                1878 aged 75; his wife ELIZABEH ROBERTS STRACHAN d. Stonehaven 12
                                Sept. 1893 aged 81. (Back) 1795. J.S. K.T. To the memory of JAMES
                                STRACHAN late tenant in Glithnow d. 11 May 1780 aged 67; KETHARINE
                                (sic) TAIT his spouse d. 26 Nov. 1795 aged 63. Of their children
                                ALEXANDER d. 28 Mar. 1797 aged 23.

                                - In memory of ROBERT GALLAWA late tenant in Southpark of Arduthie
                                d. 6 Aug. 1804 aged 85; JEAN STRACHAN the wife of ROBERT GALLAWA d.
                                19 Nov. 1788 aged 60. Bottom: And JAMES their son who d. in infancy.

                                - Erected by WILLIAM TAYLOR farmer Aquhorthies Kingcussie in memory
                                of his wife MAY RITCHIE d. 12 Jan. 1864 aged 37; Said WILLIAM TAYLOR
                                for 41 years tenant of Aquhorthies d. 29 Nov. 1908 aged 87. His 2nd
                                wife ISOBEL STRACHAN d. 7 May 1911 aged 71. (Heart) In memory of dear
                                Grandmother d. Windyedge 7 May 1911.

                                - Erected by JOHN CHRISTIE boat builder Skeatrow in memory of his
                                spouse ISABEL OGG d. 27 Feb. 1840 aged 25. JOHN his son d. 4 Mar. 1855
                                aged 4 mths., ALEXANDER d. 6 May 1881 aged 25, JAMIMA (sic) d. 16 Nov.
                                1893 aged 25. Said JOHN CHRISTIE d. in 1896, Dec 11 aged 83, ANN
                                STRACHAN his 2nd wife d. 8 Aug. 1907 aged 79. His grandson FREDRICK
                                JOHN CHRISTIE d. Glasgow 13 July 1912 aged 12. (Back) Also his dau.
                                -in-law MARY STEWART d. 25 Jan. 1940 aged 71 & ANDREW CHRISTIE her
                                husband d. 20 Oct. 1953 aged 89. (Heart) Our dear sister JEMIMA.

                                - Erected by ALEXANDER BREBNER cooper Stonehaven in memory of his
                                children: ALEXANDER d. 10 July 1856 aged 11, WILLIAM STRACHAN school
                                master d. 21 Oct. 1872 aged 25. HELEN STRACHAN his wife d. 31 Aug.
                                1883 aged 72; above ALEXANDER BREBNER d. 21 Mar. 1893 aged 76. His
                                dau. JANE d. 6 July 1926 aged 85.

                                - In memory of ALEXANDER STRACHAN shoemaker in Stonehaven d. 15 Dec.
                                1778 aged 83? ….BURNETT his spouse d. – Feb. 1807 aged 66. Also
                                FRANCIS STRACHAN….late baker in Stonehaven …. Rest of face gone.

                                - Erected in memory of WILLIAM REITH late farmer Floors, Muchalls d.
                                12 Apr. 1862 aged 45. His family WILLIAM d. 24 Mar. 1854 aged 4,
                                WILLIAM CUSHNIE d. 27 June 1876 aged 15. His wife ELIZABETH ANDERSON
                                d. 10 Mar. 1900 aged 72. Their dau. ELIZABETH wife of DAVID STRACHAN
                                late farmer Floors, Muchalls d. 4 Oct. 1916 aged 65. Bottom: His
                                grandchildren DAVID STRACHAN d. 7 Jan. 1867 aged 4 weeks, HUGH STRACHAN
                                d. 28 Feb. 1872 aged 3 mths., WILLIAM REITH STRACHAN d. 6 July 1902
                                aged 33, DUNCAN L.M. STRACHAN fell in action at Festbert, France 15
                                May 1915 aged 22.

                                - In memory of HUGH STRACHAN farmer Floors, Muchalls d. 28 Aug. 1891
                                aged 80 & of his wife ELIZABETH ANDERSON d. 10 Mar. 1900 aged 72. Of
                                their family HUGH d. Johannesburg, S.A. 9 May 1904 aged 40, DAVID late
                                farmer Floors d. 25 Jan. 1921 aged 79 & JAMES MARSHALL twin brother of
                                said HUGH d. Kensington 10 June 1929 aged 64

                                - Erected by GEORGE & MARGARET WATT in memory of their parents JANE
                                STRACHAN d. 15 Feb. 1855 aged 55 & DANIEL WATT shoemaker Stonehaven d.
                                27 June 1871 aged 78. Said MARGARET WATT d. 3 Apr. 1898 aged 70.

                                - In loving memory of my husband GEORGE CALDER d. 10 May 1898 aged 62;
                                MARTHA GLENNIE wife of above d. 22 June 1917 aged 72. Dau. JEANIE d.
                                10 Jan. 1952 aged 66. MARY ANN LEES wife of JAMES STRACHAN d. 27 Apr.
                                1941 aged 69; said JAMES STRACHAN d. 8 June 1955 aged 89.

                                - In loving memory of JOHN THOW d. Coneyhatch 11 May 1891 aged 59; his
                                wife ANN STRACHAN d. 1 Feb. 1907 aged 73. Son GEORGE d. Royal Inland
                                Hospital, Kamloops, B.C. 23 Oct. 1919 aged 58.

                                Hopefully you'll be able to find some kind of connection between your
                                Strachan's and those that listed above. If you do let us all know as
                                maybe someone else out there will be able to help you as well. GOOD LUCK!

                                CHEERS,
                                Jim Allan
                                Victoria, B.C. CANADA

                                I am enjoying the links to Banchory, Stonehaven and Strachan as
                                well. Next thing I wonder about is the family name, Strachan. I
                                understand, from my readings online, the name Strawn/Strachan/
                                Strahan comes from the village of Strachan in Kincardineshire
                                and is an old British name. Is anyone able to expand on this
                                information?

                                Thank you
                                Jeni
                              • Jessie and Tom Lennie
                                Message 15 of 24 , Jan 17, 2004
                                  Hi Jeni,

                                  I have a small connection to the Strachan name.

                                  See our web page at:

                                  http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Woods/2856

                                  Tom Lennie

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Jan 18, 2004
                                    Hi Jim,

                                    The William Taylor you listed is definitely the one I am
                                    seeking. Colin Milne has already given me photos of William's
                                    father Alexander Taylor and grandfather Andrew Taylor's stone
                                    in Cowie Graveyard. I have a record of two wives, but not May
                                    Ritchie. I have a Margaret Leslie. I will have to contact
                                    Colin again to see if he has a photo of this stone.

                                    Thank you for the information
                                    Tom Lennie

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Jan 26, 2004
                                      Hi Jeni:

                                      I have a Margaret Adam who married William Ewing, May 20,
                                      1820 in Cluny, Aberdeen, Scotland.

                                      I haven't been able to find her date & place of birth. I
                                      have a reliable researcher looking for her date & place
                                      of death. Other Adams I have found, 2 Alexander Adam,
                                      James Adam,. Barbara Adam b. November 16, 1755 m. John
                                      Ewen, November 25, 1779, in Cluny, Aberdeen, Scotland &
                                      a Elizabeth Adam. I am wondering if we have 2 Margaret
                                      Adam, as I have another one around the same time frame.
                                      Are any of these names familiar.

                                      Regards
                                      June Ewen

                                      Message 18 of 24 , Jan 30, 2004
                                        Hi June

                                        Thanks for your email. The names are unfamiliar, however,
                                        I have just started looking at the ADAM family. My only
                                        connection to this family is through James STRACHAN, my
                                        ggg-grandfather who married Margaret ADAM on 29 June 1824
                                        in Banchory-Ternan, which is the reason I joined this list.
                                        It was James and Margaret's son William Adam STRACHAN who
                                        emigrated to New Zealand where he lived in Dunedin. I have
                                        six children for James and Margaret with information on
                                        only the one, my William.

                                          Message 20 of 24 , Feb 10, 2004
                                            Dear Jeni,

                                            I have Strachans in my family from Methlic, Aberdeen
                                            area.

                                            Betty Dilworth
                                            b-dilworth@...

                                            Message 21 of 24 , Feb 13, 2004
                                              Dear Jeni,

                                              My gt grandmother Ann Strachan died 1888 at Gight Castle,
                                              Fyvie. Her parents were James Strachan and Christina
                                              Salter. I live at 103/65 Tauranga Place Orewa Auckland
                                              1461 my e.mail address is b_dilworth@.... I lived
                                              in Christchurch for some years.

                                              Yours,
                                              Betty

                                              Message 22 of 24 , Feb 15, 2004
                                                I have no idea. I have given all I know already and
                                                until I am able to find out any more about this
                                                family, I cannot help you.

                                                Jeni Simpson,
                                                Christchurch, New Zealand

                                                Message 23 of 24 , Feb 16, 2004
                                                  Dear Betty,

                                                  I am looking for:
                                                  Eleanor Margaret Strachan
                                                  b.31 Mar 1904 in Stonehaven

                                                  Parents:
                                                  Father: James Stephen Strachan, no dates
                                                  Mother: Eleanor Margaret Gorham Smith
                                                  ------- b.29 Nov.1899 in Aberdeen

                                                  Married William Robert Tait Sr., b. 17 May 1902
                                                  from Scotland,Dase-Kirkwall-Orphier

                                                  Parents:
                                                  Father: John Wishart Tait -Ortney no dates
                                                  Mother: Cecilia Emily Smith b.6 Feb.1890 in Sandwick

                                                  Are these names familiar?