Stonehaven Fireballs Festival

  • Jessie & Tom Lennie
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 31, 2003
      I had no trouble accessing the site. Great memories. I
      went to the Fireballs show with my Stonehaven cousins a
      little over 50 years ago and still have the memories.

      Tom Lennie
    • davies2mof@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 1, 2004
        Jim

        The Fireball festival went ahead last night despite the
        weather. Big Hogmanay celebrations in Aberdeen and Edinburgh
        were cancelled, as was the party planned for the Market
        Square in Stonehaven. There had been a gale all afternoon
        and evening. Several times, the steel crowd barriers that
        optimistic folk had erected along the High Street during the
        afternoon had blown over. The Police decided it was not safe
        for folk to stand on the street between the market cross and
        the shorehead.

        It also rained all evening, and by 11.00pm crowd amounted to
        a few folk sheltering in doorways and marshals walking up and
        down the High Street looking unnecessary. However, the pipe
        band turned out soon after (without the bass drum, which would
        have been impossible to control). By midnight, there was a
        moderate crowd, probably 2-3000 hardy and very wet people. On
        a good night, the entire High Street is jammed solid apart from
        the roadway for the swingers.

        Almost 50 swingers came and put on a good display. Stalwarts,
        like Raymond Penny and Bill Emslie, and first-timers like Paul
        Davies. Going up the High Street was much easier than going
        back down again into the wind and rain. At the end, the hurling
        of the fireballs into the harbour got the cheers the swingers
        deserved.

        Ian