Introducing Myself

  • eajmurray
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 22 9:45 AM
      Hello,

      My name is Eleanor Alexandra Jean Murray and I am a direct
      descendant of William Murray of Romanno and Adam Murray of
      Cardon. I believe some of my ancestors emigrated to Canada
      and America fairly early on. My father was James Dalton
      Murray, a British diplomat. I didn't know him or his family
      very well and would love to know if anyone has any
      connections to this branch of the Murrays.

      Many regards,
      Eleanor (always known as Alex)
    • Grant Muckart
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 23 2:57 AM
        Hi Alex,

        You will need to supply some more detail before anyone
        will be able to help you. Things such as dates, places,
        that sort of thing. I would start with your father, the
        diplomat. He sounds like a promising place to start. If
        you know which branch of the diplomatic service he worked
        for you could approach them and ask for his sevice record.
        Work back from that.

        Grant Muckart

        Nairn
        Scotland

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 28 4:32 AM
          Hi Grant,

          Thank you for your message. I have found out quite a lot
          about my Dad's family since I posted this message. He was
          the son of James Murray, a doctor in Edinburgh and Eleanor
          Mortimer. His grandfather was also called James and married
          Agnes Ritchie, who came from the Isle of Mann. They had
          eleven children. One son Alexander went to Australia and has
          many descendants over there. His brother, Thomas Murray who
          was also known as Keith MacKenzie Murray, was a captain in
          the Imperial Chinese Army and died over there. Dad's great
          grandfather, Alexander was the youngest son of James Murray
          and Jane Moffat. He was from a very large family as well.
          There seems to be an Irish connection a few generations
          earlier on with a Gideon Murray who was connected with the
          defence of Londonderry.

          Thank you again for replying to my original message.

          With best for the New Year,
          Many regards,
          Alex

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 22, 2004
            My name is Susan. I have periodically delved into my
            family tree, but my latest inspiration is a pending trip
            in May of 2005. My sisters and I are going to spend a
            week in Scotland and a week in England. My sister thought
            it would be a neat idea to travel to where our family
            originated from. Our Williamson family relatives put
            together a genealogy about 15 years ago. Our Williamson
            roots come from Ayrshire, Scotland. We have only gotten
            as far as the parents of James Williamson who immigrated
            to Canada. He was born in what we believe to be the late
            1700's. We have been spending a great deal of time
            researching the Calder branch of that family that came
            from Nairn, Scotland but we believe they may have
            originated from Cawdor due to the family name and the
            fact that from our research, we have found that the
            English spelling of Calder is Cawdor and it is in the
            general area of where the MacIntosh family clan comes
            from.

            Unfortunately, we probably did not have any connection
            to Cawdor Castle. Some of the names in our family tree
            are; Williamson, Calder, Sallars, MacIntosh, and Lamb.
            We are currently trying to trace down our Sallars
            relatives. Jean Sallars married James Williamson in
            Kilwinning Parish, Ayrshire Scotland in 1817. That is
            where we have hit a dead end although we recently came
            across some information about Jean Sallars. I would be
            happy to share anything I have and look forward to any
            help I can receive.