Re: [Stonehaven_Genealogy] Contlayhills, Cantlayhills

  • Mary Cubitt
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 2, 2001
      Hello Andrew

      I wonder if I could intercept in your flow of letters to and from. You have
      asked John (below) about times and areas etc. I wonder if you have read the
      books written by David Kerr Cameron. In case you haven't these are an
      excellent source of information about the farming folk in Scotland - but
      mainly in the North East. I don't have all the titles, but the one I have
      to read at present is titled The Cornkister Days. A Portrait of a Land and
      its Rituals. I wasn't able to get it off the shelf at our local library,
      but was able to get it through our National Library. I do recommend anyone
      to read these books. Especially if your folk were
      farmers/crofters/blacksmiths etc.

      Happy researching
      Mary Cubitt
      Hamilton
      NZ

      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 3, 2001
        Hello Andrew!

        Try the Scottish Gazeteer ( which is in a blue folder to
        the left as you enter Elizabeth FHC) at your local friendly FHC. See you
        soon! - Jennifer

        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 3, 2001
          HI ANDREW

          Elsick is an estate at Cammachmore and it is owned by
          the Duke of Fife, Now Gellybrannels, I do not see that
          name on my map but my wife used live at a farm at
          Cammachmore when she was in her teens and she thinks
          gellybrannels was the name of a house at the end of
          the road, she is going to look into in for you on my
          map I do see a Gillybrands which is beside Elsick
          House. There is also an old church at Cammachmore but
          I think it has been turned into a private house. I'm
          not sure when the trains started running through
          Cammachmore but you mention a mail gig driver, a gig
          is a 2 wheeled one horse carriage which would of been
          used to deliver the mail in those days. I think you
          also mention Cantlayhills on my map it lies south of
          Muchalls. I will scan my map and get our group leader
          to put in on our group website so if you go to the
          group website click on PHOTOS then MAPS OF SCOTLAND
          and then click on one of the maps once it comes up on
          your screen click on it again and it should come up
          full size. If I have time I will take some photos of
          the places you have mentioned and lodge them on the
          group website for you.

          Hope this is of help JOHN
        • lbwiggins
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 4, 2001
            Hello John,

            Could you tell me if you know of a burial register for St Mary's of the Storm
            at Cowie?

            While visiting the area in 1997, I found many of my Spark ancestors buried
            there, however, there are a few that I could not find monuments
            for...possibly due to the fact that there never was one, or if there was one,
            it has fallen over or been removed.

            I have a tree that was produced in February 1902 called the "Sparks of
            Muchalls". A good pile of them were at Cantlayhills and area for at least 100
            years.

            I am trying to find WHERE John Spark who died in 1852 and his wife Rebecca
            Lyon (death sometime between 1851 - 1861) and John's parents; George Spark
            and Jane Cockie (died unknown) are buried.

            All of George's brother's children are buried there, as well as John's
            sisters and families. I am supposing that John/Rebecca, George and Jane are
            there also.

            Do you know if there were burial registers for the early 1800's?

            Many thanks,
            Linda in Canada.
          • john christie
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 5, 2001
              Sorry I don't know of a burial register but I will try
              and find out

              Regards JOHN

              lbwiggins <terracebank@...> wrote:

              Hello John,

              Could you tell me if you know of a burial register for
              St Mary's of the Storm at Cowie?

              Do you know if there were burial registers for the
              early 1800's?

              Many thanks,
              Linda in Canada.
            • Andy Thomson
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 6, 2001
                Hi John

                Thanks for the reply, the name of Gellybrands, Gillybrands, in the old book
                for my family the name is spelt many different ways, in the year 1836 it is
                spelt Jellybrands, so Iam sure this is it.
                Do you know, were records of people farming these lands kept? any ideas on
                how to find out.
                Thanks also about the mail gig driver, I did not know it was a horse and
                carriage.

                Thanks again for the info