Re: [Stonehaven Genealogy] RETTIE Family

  • rlyon@beeb.net
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 10, 2003
      In connection with your posting under RETTIE,

      I have an Elspet Rettie ( born 1864 Pitsligo died 8/3/1940
      Aberdeen ) who was the second wife of my great grandfather
      James Lyon (1851-1938 ).

      Their marriage was in 1918 at St. Machar, Aberdeen, some
      two years after the death of James' first wife Margaret
      Beattie Douglas ( my Great Grandmother ) in June 1916.

      Her parents, I think, were Alexander Rettie and Elspet
      Rettie.

      1881 Census shows the family living at Culsh and comprising
      Elspet aged 16, her father and mother, and two sisters
      Elizabeth (20) and Mary ( 19 ). 1891 Census shows the same
      family then living at 72, Irvine Place, Aberdeen.

      Elspet is shown to have been a Certificated Teacher.

      Within family photo albums handed recently to me I have
      photographs from the 1920's and 1930's including Elspet with
      husband James and her stepsons ( including my grandfather )
      and stepgrandsons ( including my father ) .

      If there is any further interest in this RETTIE information
      I would be pleased to hear.

      Richard Lyon

      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 13, 2003
        Thanks for your reply. The name Elspet does not ring a
        bell, but I am still very far from filling in the gaps
        on the tree so will keep it in mind.

        Keep well,
        Diane

[...]

      • Diane Sinclair
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 13, 2003
          My father's family come from Caithness, and I have been
          quite successful in Inverness researching into my father's
          family, back to about 1780. My mother Violet Rettie
          married my father in 1937, but I am still trying to trace
          my grandfather's siblings.

          Regards,
          Diane
        • rlyon@beeb.net
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 13, 2003
            Diane....

            Regarding Your RETTIE research

            If in your reminder list you do not forget to add Elspet's
            father Alexander, mother Elspet, sister Elizabeth, and
            sister Mary there is less chance of these RETTIE's going
            forgotten and more chance of a link being found.

            Best wishes and good luck with hunting your line of
            RETTIE's down ....

            Richard Lyon

            PS

            In the family photo album, which is in the main not
            annotated, what confused me for quite a while was the
            striking resemblance between my great grandfather's first
            wife, Margaret Beattie Douglas, and his second wife
            Elspet Rettie. For a while I did not spot they were two
            different individuals and this threw me until the truth
            came out in the family history research on the
            scotlandspeople website, but it just shows how important
            it is to label photographs.