New Member

  • dizzywitch_nz
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 25, 2003
      Hello, I am new to this site, and I am trying to find
      my way around! I am looking to search for my father's
      side of the family. He was born in 1948 in Aberdeen,
      and adopted at the age of 4. He has no idea what his
      mother's name is, and only has his father's name. If
      someone could maybe point me in the right direction
      that would be great!

      Thanks,
      Charmaine
    • JIM ALLAN
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 26, 2003
        Hi Charmaine,

        Welcome to the Group! I'm afraid I'm not an expert in the
        area of adoption, but I did manage to find the following
        information on the internet, that may be of some help to
        you. GOOD LUCK and don't forget to keep us updated on your
        progress.

        CHEERS,
        Jim Allan

        ------------------------------

        The Adoption Unit at New Register House can provide you
        with an extract of your original entry if you were born
        in Scotland. Write to the Adoption Unit providing details
        of your adoptive name, date of birth and your full postal
        address. You will be sent a declaration form to complete.

        What might be revealed?

        - further information about place and time of birth
        - the original name under which you were registered
        - your mother's name and surname and possibly occupation
        - your father's name, if recorded, and
        - the name and possibly the relationship of the person who
        registered the birth.

        This information may also give you a lead into Adoption records or
        Adoption Agency records. You will also be told the location of your
        Court records. You have a statutory right to counselling services
        under the Adoption (Scotland) Act 1978.

        New Register House
        Edinburgh EH1 3YT
        Scotland
        Tel: (131) 314 4411 (telephone orders)
        (131) 314 4446 (letter or fax applications)
        Fax: (131) 314 4400 (credit card orders)
        E-mail: records@...

        ------------------------------

        There is an independent Family Care Adoption Society in Edinburgh
        which operates the "BIRTH LINK" register for Scotland. This was set
        up in 1984 at the request of birth parents who, unlike the adopted
        person, have no statutory rights to tracing events or gaining access
        to Court papers etc. The following people may choose to register
        on "BIRTH LINK":

        - any person born or adopted in Scotland (or where there is a close
        Scottish connection), who wishes to make contact with their birth
        family;

        - any birth parent who wishes to make contact with the child they
        placed for adoption;

        - any birth relative who wishes to make contact with the adopted
        person.

        More information about "BIRTH LINK" and registration forms can be
        obtained from:

        "BIRTH LINK"
        Family Care
        21 Castle Street
        Edinburgh EH2 3DN
        Telephone: +44 (0) 131 225 6441.
        E-mail: mail@...
        Website: http://www.birthlink.org.uk/

        ------------------------------

        Here are two other web sites that you may want to check out
        that have more info on Adoption in Scotland.

        http://www.nas.gov.uk/miniframe/fact_sheet/adoption.pdf

        http://www.familyrecords.gov.uk/partners/gros.htm

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 23, 2004
          I have just joined the group and am currently researching
          the names Bell, Bruce and Hogg in East Lothian from 1800
          -1900 and also Borthwick in West Lothian for the same
          period. Is anyone else searching for these names in the
          group? Look forward to hearing from you.
        • kin926
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 23, 2004
            I have just joined this group. I am researching several
            names:

            Christie - from Perthshire/Stirlingshire/Aberdeenshire
            Chrystal - Stirlingshire
            Parlane - Stirlingshire
            Dalglish - Roxburghshire
            McDougall - Argyll

            Bert Christie,
            Prince Edward Island
            Canada
          • cathchand
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 27, 2004
              Hi, and thank you for inviting me to join this group.
              The names I am researching are:

              - BRODIE in Aberdeenshire & Perthshire
              - CAMERON in Aberdeenshire & Perthshire & Banff
              - McLAREN in Perthshire
              - COUTTS in Aberdeenshire
              - BUDGE & ROSIE in Orkney
              - SMITH also in Orkney.

              Hope to hear from any one with similar interests.

              Cathy