WEEKLY UPDATE - JUNE 01, 2003

  • JIM ALLAN
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2003
      ------------ STONEHAVEN GENEALOGY ------------
      "Weekly Update"
      JUNE 01, 2003

      STONEHAVEN ROOTS WEBSITE

      For those of you who are new to the group, and for those
      of you who have been with us since day one, just a short
      reminder to visit my other site STONEHAVEN ROOTS when you
      have time. I've just completed adding over 20 new names to
      the database, with the latest Surnames to be included being:

      - WHANNELL
      - CORMACK
      - BASSETT
      - HARPER
      - URQUHART

      In the short time that I've had the site up and running, I've
      received a huge amount of emails from all over the world
      asking for help in finding information on family connections
      to Stonehaven. A matter of fact, STONEHAVEN ROOTS just
      recorded its 6,000th visitor this past week.

      If you have family that are directly connected to Stonehaven
      in at least one of the following ways, please take the time
      now to fill out the REQUEST FORM on the Surnames Page of the
      site and I will be more than happy to add your info to the
      site ASAP.

      - BORN In Stonehaven
      - LIVED In Stonehaven
      - MARRIED In Stonehaven
      - WORKED In Stonehaven
      - DIED In Stonehaven

      REMEMBER........it's not only another way for you to get your
      information out on the internet, but it's also a great way to
      learn more about the people who lived and worked in what is
      perhaps one of the most beautiful places in all of Scotland.
      Check it out today and see what I mean.

      Direct Link to STONEHAVEN ROOTS:
      http://www.geocities.com/thistleinn/index.html

      CHEERS,
      Jim

      POSTCARDS OF THE UK AROUND 1905

      The following links were sent to me by Stonehaven Genealogy Member,
      Ruth Millar, back on March 15th and I thought I would share them
      with you today.

      These pages were put together by Pat & Warwick McCall who now live
      in Canberra, ACT, Australia. These Postcards are just some of the
      300 odd cards that their great grandmother, Jane Jackson collected
      over the years. There is at least one Postcard for each of the
      following places (116 Postcards in total) Most are dated around 1905.

      - Ardrishaig
      - Arran
      - Ashton
      - Ayr
      - Bath
      - Bute
      - Carluke
      - Catrine
      - Chester
      - Collintraive
      - Dalbeattie
      - Douglas
      - Dunbar
      - Dunbarton
      - Dunoon
      - Edinburgh
      - Glasgow
      - Gourock
      - Islay
      - Kirriemuir
      - Largs
      - London
      - Millport
      - Moville
      - Newton
      - Perth
      - Portobello
      - Portrush
      - Rothesay
      - Saltcoats
      - Stirling
      - Strathaven
      - Stuart
      - Tarbert
      - Troon
      - West Kibride

      http://warwickmccall.tripod.com/Postcards.htm

      http://warwickmccall.tripod.com/postcards2.htm

      If you have your own site or if you know of one out there that has
      to do with Scotland and would like to see it highlighted on an
      upcoming WEEKLY UPDATE, please feel free to send me the link to it,
      at my email address listed at the bottom of this Update.

      DID YOU KNOW THIS ABOUT SCOTLAND

      SCOTLAND'S CLIMATE

      - The highest temperature recorded in Scotland was 32.8C/91.0F at
      Dumfries on 2 July 1908.

      - The coldest daytime temperature in Scotland was -27.2C/-17.0F at
      Bremar on 11 February 1985.

      - In the sunniest parts of Scotland (Angus, Fife, Lothians, Ayrshire,
      Dumfries & Galloway) there is an average of 1,400 hours of sunshine
      each year. Even in the mountain regions of the Highlands there are
      over 1,000 hours of sunshine a year.

      - The island of Tiree in the Inner Hebrides holds the record for the
      sunniest month with 329 hours of sunshine - in May 1946 and again in
      May 1975. However, Dunbar holds the record for the highest annual
      total - 1,523 hours.

      - The western Highlands of Scotland, facing the prevailing westerly
      winds from the Atlantic, are the wettest parts of Scotland with over
      3000mm or 118 inches of rain a year (and some rain falling on over
      250 days each year).

      - By contrast, the east coast and the Moray Firth area in particular,
      has the lowest rainfall - less than 650mm (26 inches).

      - The wettest day recorded in Scotland was on 17 January 1974 when
      238mm (9.4 inches) fell at Sloy Dam, Loch Lomond.

      CHEERS,

      Jim Allan, Moderator
      Victoria, B.C. CANADA
      thistleinn@s...