Surname - WHANNELL

  • scraig_1
    Message 1 of 2 , May 28, 2003
      Hi,

      I recently joined & just this evening submitted my
      surname inquiry. We have family in the Stonehaven area
      still, (in fact the dates & names we have now are from
      these cousins) but I wanted to send out further inquiries
      in hopes of getting more information about my Granddad's
      family & share what we do have.

      - Granddad - Thomas Scott Whannell, dob 8/17/1890,
      was raised in Stonehaven (Ann Street)

      - his parents were Hugh Whannell, who married Helen
      McDonald in 1872

      - Hugh's parents:
      William Whannell, 1815 - 1865,
      married Jane Chalmers, 1817 - 1897.

      - Helen's parents:
      John McDonald married to Mary McIntosh
      (no dates avail).

      - William Whannell's parents:
      James Whannell and Mary Millar (no dates avail).

      Hugh & Helen raised 12 children:

      Elizabeth, William, Mary-Jane, Helen, Hugh, Tommy
      (grandfather), Jessie, Alexander, Maria, Catherine,
      John & Andre. Thomas immigrated to America. He
      married Mollie Martin from Dublin. They lived in
      Washington State & had 8 children, 2 still living.

      Any info regarding the family would be welcome.

      Thank you very much,
      Kathy (Whannell) Craig
      email: scraig_1@...
    • Alastair Smith
      Message 2 of 2 , May 30, 2003
        The surname WHANNEL is specific to Arbroath and St.
        Vigeans in Angus. Part of my family line was Whannel,
        it is well recorded in the towns parish records back
        to the 1700s. I think your line must have branched out
        from this family, there are no other records of the name
        in the country as far as i know. Get in touch some time.

        Alastair Smith