WEEKLY UPDATE - MARCH 09, 2003
- ------------ STONEHAVEN GENEALOGY ------------
MARCH 09, 2003
THE TOWN OF ROSEHEARTY
Although several tales exist as to why Rosehearty received
its name, it is most likely they are but stories. In fact
the more realistic source of the name is from the Gaelic
"Ross'; meaning a promontory and "ard" a height. However,
Pratt suggests it may also be from Rossachdair, "the
anchorage ground near the promontory".
From the fourteenth to the sixteenth century the area on
which Rosehearty presently stands was occupied by a number
of crofts, with the buildings clustered together.
Then, in 1573, the JAM was erected. This building was lived
in till before the last war. It is now a complete ruin and
stands on Union Street facing the Temperance Hotel. A
triangular stone plaque is in place above the old gateway.
Another house was built around this time which was called
the lodging house. A stone plaque once adorned the archway
leading into the courtyard. When the present building, now
the Bay Hotel, was built on the site of this dowager lady
Pitsligo's residence, the plaque was kept and survives to
this day. It bears a rose and heart and the inscription
NUNC TROJA VBI SEGES.
By the seventeenth century there were two small settlements and these
were joined together as a burgh of barony, granted by Royal Charter,
dated thirteenth July, 1681, by King Charles at Windsor Castle. On
the 18th October, 1684, a town's charter was signed. Lord Pitsligo
built a new seatown for the fisherfolk and this became known
as "Newtoon". In later years this was reversed as new buildings
emerged on the landward side. These residents were known by the
fishers as "Newtooners" and this persisted until recent times; the
dividing line then was Ward Road.
The tollbooth built in 1638 was demolished in 1902. The business
affairs of the family of Pitsligo were managed in the upper rooms,
while the lower part consisted of the town's chambers and a prison
cell. It had witnessed considerable changes. Part of it was turned
into a cooperage last century, with the upstairs serving as a school.
The building extended across the entrance to the Square from Union
The oldest buildings lived in today are the Forbes Arms, built in
1746, and Margaret's Hairdressers on the Square, built in 1748. Most
of the olden buildings are nineteenth century and belong to the
town's heyday of the herring fishing.
Much evidence survives to this day of Rosehearty's golden years of
the herring industry. The old curing stations here have been
converted without being distorted beyond recognition, for modern
requirements. Two "Red Herring" buildings and a boatbuilding shed are
among some of the landmarks still seen at Rosehearty. Lord Pitsligo's
old seatoun is at North Street and although the buildings here have
all been modernised, the layout of the gable end to the sea houses
stem from this period.
Professor Lawrence Ogilvie was born at the old UP manse on Pitsligo
Street in 1898. He was lecturer in applied mycology at Bristol
Professor Allan Downie, born in Rosehearty in 1907, was professor of
bacterio logy at Uverpool University and was credited with a number
of important breakthroughs. His close friend Dr Danny Gordon wrote a
detailed account of his life in 1989.
The Rev. Walter Gregor, Parish Minister of Pitsligo from 1863-1897,
was one of Britain's best known folklorists and his work is of
intense value today.
Captain Tom Robertson, who built 52 Pitsligo Street, Rosehearty, was
the son of the town's postmaster. He went to sea in 1865 and from
1871 began a career as master on a number of full rigged ships. In
1879 he was awarded the Royal Humane bronze medal for diving into
shark infested waters to rescue a member of his crew. Again further
awards were presented to him in 1895 while serving as master of the
steamship Hawkhurst. A fierce fire raged while on the high seas
between Antwerp and Rio de Janeiro. Rather than abandon ship his
determination to reach his destination, a further distance of 2300
miles, he fought the fire with all he had and continued to port.His
heroic services were rewarded by the government and companies
Captain John Duncan, while a junior seaman, took command of a ship
when the captain lost his nerve at the height of a terrifing gale. He
was on the Australian run for years with the Ardencluthia; she was
crewed by Rosehearty men. In 1880 he and his steam assisted clipper
Devonshire perished off the coast of Java while running into a
hurricane. Duncan was a daring but ruthless Captain.
Carnegie Family. They were regular visitors to Rosehearty. After all,
there were family links. They were descended from Captain Joe Bogue,
a character well known on the East Coast. He died in 1877. The last
name on his gravestone is his great-grandson Air Marshal David
Vaughan Carnegie, who died in 1964.
Robert Henry Johnston. Born in Rosehearty in 1891, son of John D
Johnston and Barbara Ann Watt, he started working life as a cooper.
After service with the Gordon Highlanders in the first world war he
was at various times Fishery Officer at Wick, Lossiemouth, Kirkwall
and Fraserburgh. In 1921 he married Jeanette Muir, a native of
Kirkwall. During the second world war he was transferred to the
Ministry of Food in Edinburgh. In 1948 he became Chief Inspector of
Fisheries for Scotland where he remained until he retired to Aberdeen
Many visitors over the years to Rosehearty were either doing
ancestral research or were set on that direction on their visit.
One of the best places to start is old Pitsligo kirkyard at
Rosehearty. It has beautifully preserved stones, which have become
monuments in themselves to the local stonemasons of the seventeenth
and eighteenth centuries.
Sheila Spiers and her team from the Aberdeen and North East Family
History Society did a marvellous job in the summer of 1984 in
recording monumental inscriptions Dr Margaret Brown, a member of the
team, stated: "These are the best examples of craftsmanship we have
seen on gravestones and at least one of these masons had a good
knowledge of anatomy, as some of the lines carved on the stones are
perfect in every detail. The craftsmen were most likely a family and
this particular family had developed a fairly high standard of
workmanship." Sheila Spiers added: "The depth of the lettering is
perhaps an answer to the preservation of the inscriptions on the
oldest stones here."
Society members were delighted with the remarkable symbolism on these
stones, but the angels dressed in kilts really got them thinking.
This they had never seen before!
Today Sheila Spiers suggested: "if everyone who visited the
churchyard carried a small scrubbing brush and gave just one stone a
clean, it would keep them to stayu in good condition and deter any
future mistreatment of the stones."
SOURCE: Rosehearty Community Web
DID YOU KNOW THIS ABOUT SCOTLAND?
FORTH RAIL BRIDGE
Instantly recognisable because of its unique design, the Forth Rail
Bridge was one of the greatest achievements of 19th century
The original designer was Thomas Bouch - but his rail bridge over the
River Tay collapsed on 28 December 1879 and Sir John Fowler and
Benjamin Baker were appointed instead.
The main contractor was William Arrol and construction of the three
diamond-shaped steel towers began in 1883.
The bridge stretches 1.5 miles across the River Forth estuary from
Fife to Lothian, nine miles west of Edinburgh.
At its highest point it is 361 feet above the water and 55,000 tons
of steel, 640,000 cubic feet of Aberdeen granite, 8 million rivets
and 145 acres of paint went into its construction.
It was built between December 1882 and January 1890. The number of
people employed on construction reached 4,600 at one point.
The last rivet was ceremoniously driven home by the Prince of Wales
on 4 March 1890.
From mid winter to mid summer it expands almost by a metre.
It is now one of the largest structures in the world to be floodlit -
1,000 high-powered lights illuminate the 1.5 miles of the bridge at
Jim Allan, Moderator
Victoria, B.C. CANADA
ANESFHS Member 10387